El Yes, We'd Like Some of That - Cover

El Yes, We'd Like Some of That

Copyright© 2011 by Ol'Mac

Chapter 2

MONDAY 8:30 A. M. CST Half way Along the Scutum-Centaurus Arm, Milky Way Galactic Plane


As Miklit was finishing up its scheduled shift, a hard copy message began scrolling from the communicator. Upon scanning this missive, Miklit thought with disgust, 'Damn REMF decision makers! What they want always seems to take precedence over any other consideration. I certainly wish they'd go play with themselves in traffic somewhere.'

It's thoughts then turned longingly toward it's Family Group and the nice warm nest, that up till this time part, had waited to comfort it, 'I'd best let Alpha-1 know about this delay or I'll never hear the end of the repercussions.'

Bringing the com unit to its sense cluster, Miklit tapped in the code for Home Nest and was immediately answered by one of the little ones, "Miklit, are you on the way home and are you bringing treats?" came the enthusiastic query of youth.

The good humor this greeting generated was almost enough to offset its foul mood at having to delay its homecoming. "No, little one, I'm so sorry. Please get Alpha-1 for me, but I do promise to pick up some treats before I get Home, OK?"

The gyrations this information triggered in the holographic display, interspersed with squeals of excitement were enough to finally dissipate its mood and it chided gently, "Little One, sometime in this light cycle, please."

"Oh, sorry, be right back," came the still excited reply.

Miklit then heard Little One screaming off into the nest while shouting, "Alpha-1, Miklit needs to com with you."

It was still shaking its sense cluster in good humor when Alpha-1 finally appeared in the hologram, saying, "Miklit, what's this about your delayed return."

"Sorry Alpha-1, the delay was unavoidable," Miklit responded while holding up the com hard copy in explanation of the circumstance.

"Those busybodies," Alpha-1 responded in exasperation after scanning the hard copy, then added, "be home as soon as possible. I fear that you alone will be the only way to calm Little One now." Then tossed over its right shoulder, "Little One, your bouncing will not hurry Miklit home, no matter how high you reach." Her wry parting note then came, "Try to be home before First Hibernation Period, otherwise no one will get any rest with Little One doing that 'Free Electron' impression."


With this com call lightening its mood, Miklit made its way to the transportation platform. Punching in the destination code of the hard copy, it was beamed through the network and found itself in front of Central Decision. Holding the hard copy to the entry scanner, it was directed to the indicated node and the individual that would 'fill-in-the-blanks' for Miklit.

On arrival, Miklit was handed its orders and informed of the time it would need to report back. It stood and scanned the orders with a sense of horror gripping its internal organs. It then noticed the open ended time frame allotted for this mission and it's circulatory fluids froze in place, 'These bastard's are going to send me away from my Family for an unspecified time part! This just can't be right.'

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close