Rain - Cover

Rain

Copyright© 2011 by Patch0341

Chapter 2

The next morning as Eric prepared for another grueling day at the office; he came out of his daydreams and suddenly realized that his jacket is missing, along with his wallet. Halfway through ransacking his apartment, he suddenly remembered Rain wearing it when she left the cafe Slightly annoyed at losing a jacket, and more concerned about losing his wallet; he began his walk to the bus stop. Upon opening the door, he found his coat hanging from the doorknob. Quickly searching the pockets he found his wallet and a note.

To my knight in rain soaked armor,

Thanks for a wonderful day. I'll be looking forward to the next rainy day.

--Rain

P.S. don't forget your umbrella next time.

Her handwriting was the sexy, loopy sprawl of an educated woman and the note smelled faintly of her perfume. He folded it carefully and put it in his breast pocket. Smiling broadly, he quickly donned his coat and hustled to the stop, hoping to see her. As he reached the stop the bus was just beginning its slow crawl back into traffic. He frantically knocked at the door and the driver stopped to let him in. The driver sighed heavily and glanced at his watch, grumbling, as Eric fed tokens to the machine. Eric scanned the passengers, hoping to find her, but she wasn't on the bus. His spirits dropping further, he resigned himself to a boring, monotonous day at work. Several times during the bus ride, Eric unfolded the note and reread it feeling a thrill of excitement run through his body each time.


Sometime during the day, the weather gods, ever playful, made a thunderstorm descend upon the city. Hurrying from his office, Eric ran onto the bus before getting very wet. Thinking of how he was to get home, the bus arrived at his stop. As Eric stepped off the bus and under the awning he noticed a familiar pair of shoes.

"You don't watch the weather reports," Rain said with a mirthful laugh, "or you would have known to bring your umbrella."

"I just pray to the weather gods and hope they hear my pleas." Eric replied with a grin of his own, "but I have been distracted in my honoring them lately. I find myself wishing it would rain more often." He said in a rush and began to blush profusely.

Biting her lip, Rain smiled and offered her umbrella to him, saying, "How 'bout I walk you home?"

"How about I walk you to dinner?" Eric quickly replied. "I know a great little Italian place, right around the corner."

Taking his arm, they strolled under the umbrella down to the diner. Trading light chit-chat they walked into the restaurant and the maître d' greeted them warmly, "Ah! Hello young lovers, whoever you are, I hope your troubles are few. All my good wishes go with you tonight; I've been in love like you." He sang in a fairly strong tenor. "Eric, come siete?"

Eric grinned broadly and clasped the older man on the shoulder as Rain blushed brightly, "Aldo! A little premature, but thanks for embarrassing me. This is my companion for the evening, Rain." Eric said with a chuckle.

"Rain, it is a pleasure to meet you." Aldo said, taking her offered hand and kissing it lightly. "My name is Aldo Castello. I own and run this little establishment with my wife, Allegra. Please, come in and sit. Young Signore Eric is one of our best and most prized customers. Allegra has taken it upon herself to ensure that he is well fed and cared for." He said with a grandfatherly smile and wink.

Just then, a rather motherly looking woman rushed out from behind the kitchen door with her arms held wide, "Aldo, shame on you, why didn't you tell me Eric was here?" She fell upon him and hugged him as if he were a long lost son.

"Eric, sweetie, you look so thin! And you're soaking wet!" She admonished him, holding him at arm's length, "What am I going to do with you?" She stuttered as she noticed Rain standing nearby with a grin slowly spreading across her face, "Oh, I'm so sorry."

"Don't worry nonna, this is Rain. Aldo already embarrassed me, so I guess it was your turn." Eric said, shaking his head.

"Oh, you have good taste, my boy," She muttered slyly while pinching Eric's blushing cheeks. "Please, come in my dear. Aldo, take their coats and things." She directed over her shoulder as she briskly guided Rain into the dining area.

The restaurant was decorated in classical Italian style. Natural wooden tables and chairs sat on the stone floor, soft light permeated the room. A large fireplace sat against one wall, its natural wood fire dancing and popping. Italian music wafted through the air as they crossed the room. On their table sat a bottle of grappa and two small glasses.

"Aldo, I hope to be as happy as you when I'm your age." Eric chided quietly, chuckling to himself.

"Who says I'm happy, son?" Aldo replied, laughing heartily, "Go sit down, I'll bring you some bread."

Eric sat down as Aldo and Allegra swarmed into the kitchen and began preparing food. Soon afterward, two glasses of wine, a small loaf of bread, olive oil, and exquisite balsamic vinegar sat half consumed, as Eric unconsciously tried to memorize Rain's face with the light from the nearby fireplace dancing across it. Her long red, curly hair framed her face perfectly. Her ice blue eyes gained a fiery orange glint, her brows knitted in concentration, smallish nose wrinkled, and her beautiful lips pursed in a quizzical smile as a question rolled around in her mind.

"Um, Eric?" Rain asked quietly.

"Yes?"

"When do we get a menu?"

"We don't. We're at the mercy of Allegra and Aldo, but they haven't failed me yet. They have the uncanny knack for knowing exactly what I need to eat to make me feel whole ... Even if I don't."

"Sounds wonderful," Rain said, intrigued, her eyes sparkling in the firelight, "but how did you find this place?"

"Allegra literally pulled me off the sidewalk one afternoon when I was walking home from the store. Aldo wasn't lying when he said she made me her personal project. Aldo is great, he's always here to listen or share a cup of coffee with." Eric reminisced with a smile, "I remember coming here at four in the morning one day when I was feeling depressed and stressed from school. Aldo was sweeping the sidewalk and getting ready for breakfast. He decided not to open that morning and we just sat here drinking coffee and eating biscotti for hours. I remember all the pissed off customers banging on the doors. They are the closest thing I have to family these days," Eric says with a sad look, "I'm not to close with my family anymore. Sure, we talk on the phone and exchange presents during the holidays, but I just don't identify with them anymore."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close