Ruffy and Me
Chapter 10: The Kidnapping

Copyright© 2015 by maypop

On Wednesday, JJ woke up at the crack of dawn and got into his Bible to get prepared for the day. After saying his prayers, he picked the Bible verse that he would focus on that day.

After breakfast, JJ went to the Marshal's office. "Good morning, Albert! Did you sleep well in your new home?" asked JJ, walking into the office.

"It's better than the one I had Monday night! By the way, there was a man here last night that was looking for you. Said he'd be back," said Albert.

"Did he have a name? What did he look like, and what did he want?" asked JJ.

Before Albert could answer, there was a loud voice that boomed from the street, "Marshal! Come out here! Or are you a low down coward hiding behind the town folk?"

A chill went through JJ's entire body. In his mind he knew this moment would come. However, in his wildest dreams he didn't think it would this quick!

"That's the man," stated Albert.

As bad as JJ wanted to run into Albert's room and hide under the bed, he silently prayed, "Holy Spirit give me strength of mind and body to face this problem. I declare Psalms 34:19," and to Albert, JJ said with a surprisingly strong voice, "Stay in here Albert, and guard the jail from the window. We can't jeopardize both our lives."

JJ checked his colts. He was comfortable with them, and loved their balance. As he walked out the door, he saw the man standing in the middle of the street to the left, posed for a showdown. As he walked out, JJ's eyes swept the buildings and street to the right. Then, his eyes swept the buildings to the left. He saw no one. In the middle of the street, JJ turned to the man to the left and, facing the man down, JJ said with a steady voice, "Your name," trying to break the man's train of thought.

The man standing in front of JJ was Ron Greer, James Greer's younger brother, who was a notorious gun fighter. He was said to be the fastest gun in Montana. "Marshal, you had my brother, James Greer, hung on trumped up charges," shot back Ron in a cold voice.

With strength given to him by God, JJ answered in a calm, determined voice, "He was tried before a jury and found guilty of rustling and murdering Marshal Steve Jones. As for you, there is a wanted poster for you. You are under arrest! Drop your guns!"

"Everybody will be shot starting with you. I believe in "an eye for an eye." Now, draw," replied the same cold voice.

Seeing there was no other choice, JJ said with a chill in his voice, "You dirty rotten, low down murdering scoundrel, you have a yellow streak a mile long."

The words cut to the bone of the man standing in front of JJ, and without any warning, he went for his guns with blazing speed. As fast as he was, his gun never cleared his holster before his wrist was pierced with a hole from JJ's colt 45. Ron cried out in pain.

"Albert, come out here and arrest this man, and go get the Doc!" shouted JJ as he walked away down the street. He had never drawn on a man before. This made him realize that someday he would have to kill someone.

Ruth heard the man's voice and looked out the window of her father's store. She was frozen as in a trance while the whole thing came to pass before her eyes. As JJ passed by the store on his way down the street, Ruth left the store and joined him. She did not say a word, knowing there were no words to say that would comfort JJ. She just knew she had to be there to show her support for him at a time when he needed it.

With Ruth beside him, JJ continued down the street in deep prayer. This was going to be a job that needed continuous prayer, but was there one that didn't? The answer was no.

"Ruth, you saw what I had to do. One day I may fail," said JJ.

"That's all right JJ, God will prepare me for that day, if that is His Will," replied Ruth.

"I'd better get back to my office," said JJ after five more minutes walking.

As JJ walked into his office, Albert came out from the back, where the jail cells were. "Hey, JJ! I got the Doc! He is in fixing his hand. I looked at the wanted posters after I saw him last night and he's wanted in Great Falls for murder!" exclaimed Albert.

"Okay Albert, go to the telegraph office and send them a message to come and pick him up. Then go down to Charley's blacksmith shop and tell him I need ten pairs of locking chains to lock men's legs in stirrups," ordered JJ.

JJ pondered on the events of the day. He was so touched with Ruth's understanding strength as she stood beside him that a flame sprung up in his heart. He had been thinking if Ruth was the girl he should marry, but now he knew that he had to spend the rest of his life with her. Not wasting another minute, JJ headed towards Mr. Hornsby's store.

He walked in and pulled Mr. Hornsby aside, making sure he was out of Ruth's ear shot, and asked, "Mr. Hornsby, I guess I won't beat around the bush and just say it. May I have your daughter's hand in marriage?"

Knowing he could have a lot of fun with JJ, Mr. Hornsby thought about giving him a hard time, but then changed his mind and, in a serious tone, said, "JJ, normally, I would be against my daughter marrying a marshal. It's such a dangerous profession. I've known you for about four years and, frankly, I've never met a more decent gentleman than you are. You are a man of your word. Because of your character, I would be proud to have Ruth marry you. I guess I'll have to live with you being an U. S. Marshal."

JJ spent the rest of the morning trying to go over paper work. He could not keep his mind on it. He could not keep his mind on his work, because of the excitement he felt inside. JJ gave up on trying to think and started cleaning and oiling his guns instead.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close