Ruffy and Me
Chapter 7: The Trip

Copyright© 2015 by maypop

The next morning JJ woke up before dawn and prayed. He got into his Bible to get himself prepared for the day. He got his Bible verse for the day. When he got done with his Bible reading his mother had a big breakfast ready.

"I wanted you to have a good meal before you go out it maybe a while before you get a good meal," she said.

"Mom thank you are so good to me. You did not have to get up this early," JJ said praising his mom.

They sat down at the table and JJ said the blessings before they ate. JJ went out and saddled up Sawdust, and was about to leave. His mother came out and handed him a pack full of treats to carry with him.

"There is some jerky in the pack that Terry got that he ordered especially with you in mind. It is the best I have ever tasted," she said.

"Thanks mom and thank Mr. Hornsby for me. Do me a favor and take Ruffy in the house with you so he want be tempted to follow me. Steve said he might expose me without meaning to," JJ said.

"I will keep him in the house with me today then to keep me company," Beth said.

JJ waited until they disappeared in the house and went out of the yard the usual way. JJ walked into the marshals office and sat down at Steve's request.

"Ok JJ, this is your first case. Now let me give you a few pointers: First, remember lesson one, and I know you are the best at tracking, but remember, stay in hiding as much as possible, and don't pass up any clues, especially around campfires and roundup sites. Metal will reflect up to fifty miles away from the sun. You have to learn to judge distance.

JJ loaded up with supplies from the marshal's office for a three-day trip. He went down to Hornsby's General Store. He walked into the store and was greeted by Mr. Hornsby and Ruth. He said, "I stopped by to say good bye."

"By JJ be careful I want you back in one peace," Ruth said.

Terry was looking out at JJ's horse and said, JJ you might have to re pack but I have something I want to give you that will help you."

He opened a box he had on the side wall and brought out the biggest saddle bags JJ had ever seen. He took it and went out followed by Ruth and Terry. He moved everything from the bag his mother made for him and all the things he had from the Marshal's office.

"Thank you so much Mr. Hornsby for these saddle bags. By the way thanks for the Jerky to. I told mom to thank you too," JJ said and mounted up.

Sawdust and JJ were on their way. JJ rode the long way around so as not to cross the Square T. Passing Barney's, he then turned south across the high mountain range. The first hill was easy. The road took JJ to a spot that overlooked a beautiful lake. "This would be a perfect place to bring Ruth for a picnic," thought JJ. After he rode by the lake, the going was treacherous. It took JJ most of the day to get to the back of Square T Range. Working his way along the tree lines, JJ came up to what looked like a camp site and roundup area. It looked like it wasn't more than a week old. JJ observed the surroundings from the wooded area the rest of the day, making sure no one was around.

About an hour before dark, he decided that no one would come around so late in the day. He left his hiding spot to see if he could see anything out of the ordinary. He decided to leave Sawdust in the hiding place amidst the trees. Sawdust was trained to stand without being tied, leaving him free to run to JJ whenever he called him. Rain had washed out all the tracks, but looking around, JJ found a broken pipe stem next to the fire pit.

JJ searched all around the site, and just about when it was getting to dark to see, he noticed something shinny on the ground, where they had been branding the calves. He picked it up, and noticed it was part of a bullet clip from someone's holster. That was a valuable find, because the person who lost it most likely wouldn't bother to replace it. It was only for three shells.

He went back into the trees, and decided it was as good a place as any to bed down for the night. He took Sawdust back about fifty yards into the trees, and found a little meadow with some tall grass next to a stream. He tied Sawdust to his lasso rope, making sure to give him enough slack, enabling him to reach the water. He unsaddled Sawdust, allowing him to spend the night in comfort without that added weight on his back. JJ carefully placed his bedroll where he could see up into heaven and marvel at the wonders of God's creation.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close