The Legal Profession
Chapter 1

Copyright© 2015 by Pedant

Rachel and I went for sushi and seafood over the weekend – we didn't think there'd be much of that sort of food in the desert northwest. We had dinner with my parents on Saturday, largely to reassure mum. Rachel found me a copy of Harold Hunt's Memoirs from the Corner Country and I took it with me on Monday, along with the file.

The flight to an extremely hot Broken Hill was uneventful and only half-full. Thrifty [!] had my GPS-equipped vehicle ready and supplied me with several maps. I bought several bottles of water and set out.

The Silver City highway from Broken Hill to Tibooburra took me aback: the road was quite good. Much of the road was tar with some bits well gravelled. Gravel roads were being graded and new tar was being poured in sections. Other sections looked as if they had been tarred not long ago. The only tough part was keeping my eyes out for cows, kangaroos and emus. The scenery was gorgeous in the heat haze. The GPS reported 335 klicks. It took me just about 4 hours. The Hotel was easy to locate [Tibooburra Hotel was built in 1882 during the gold rush]. Better still, it was air conditioned.

I enquired about the Courthouse and the constable when I registered and was told that the latter was having a deep noser. I looked at my room, washed my face, and went to the bar. Only one table was occupied. There were three blokes sitting at it.

"Can I help you?"

"I'm looking for the constable, I think."

"Only think? Dontcha know?"

"May I sit and explain?"

"No 'reserved' on the seats."

"Thanks." I sat down. "My name's Patrick Hollister. I work for the State in Sydney."

"You get to pay, it's my tax dosh!" said one of the men.

"Get the draft. It's the only cold draft in Tibooburra," added the third.

"We got a letter about some Aborigines living in the Park and I got sent to find out what's up."

"Your day to shovel the shit?"

"I heard there were nigs in the Park."

"Now, Jem, don't talk like that. You go get us four drafts. Patrick'll pay." I nodded. "But no more bad language."

"So you're the constable."

"Smart, too. Yes. I'm all the law there is between Bourke and the Fence and north to Queensland. About 90,000 square klicks. Under a thousand folks. Name's Ted Johnson."

"How do you do, Ted?" I put out my hand and a leather fist took it. I could feel a power. He was nearly two meters tall and about 100 kilos. "Did you write?"

"My name on the letter?"

"Want me to fetch it? Or would you just tell me a story?"

Jem had brought two glasses and gone back for two more.

"About 80 years ago, the Protection Board loaded up some trucks and dumped about six dozen Abos in Bourke. Some of 'em turned up here weeks and months later. We've allus had a few families living on the outskirts of town." I nodded. Ted took a drink. "Am I borin' you?"

"Not at all."

"So, about two-three months ago, I heard there was a band camped inna Park. Now, I don' usually meddle with the Park, 'ceptin' when someone goes lost or there's fire danger." I nodded. But I took a day an' drove in. I headed on the Loop Road, headin' towards Warri Warri Creek, where there'd be water."

"Smart," I said. "More beer, anyone?"

"Small for me," the constable said. The other two just nodded. I waved at Jem.

"Anyways," Ted continued, "I saw a bit of smoke a few klicks from the Creek and, when I got nearer, I could see two utes and several humpies. So I just pulled up an' got out. Minute or so later a bloke walked out. I said 'hello' and said I was the local constable. He said he was glad to meet me and that he hoped I'd keep the bikers away. I tol' him that his group couldn't stay here an' he said they could, 'cause this was their land an' the Europeans had taken it.

"Well, I wasn't gonna get inta no fight, so I told him I'd report to the Ministry and he tol' me to do that. An' I got back in my LandRover an' came back. But as I was leavin' I saw him talkin' into a cell phone. And that's it."

"Good summary," I said. "So you wrote a report and sent it to Sydney."

"Yep."

"And now I'm here. Can I ask a few questions?"

"Shoot."

"Any trouble since then?"

"None."

"Any unusual purchases here?"

"Unusual?"

"Extra food, fuel, other supplies."

"I don't think so. The local abos buy at the store."

"Anything else?"

"Fred the tracker went on walkabout las' month," Jem said.

"Do you know where?"

"He said near Charleville."

"Really?" I was quite curious.

"He said lotsa bands."

"He nearby?"

"Jes' outside town. I seen him yestiddy."

"Could I talk to him tomorrow?"

"Bring him some terbaccy."

"I'll do that. Ted, busy in the morning?"

"I'm supposed to help you, I guess."

"What would be a good time?"

"Fred sleeps in. He tracks in the evenin'."

"Ten? 10:30?" I asked.

"Let's meet on the porch her at ten."

"Fine. And thank you very much, gents."

There was a lot to think about. I went to my room. After calling Rachel and telling her that I was fine, I typed a brief summary onto my laptop. Then I went for a bite and made certain the dozen drinks were on my tab.


After breakfast I sat on the porch reading Hunt's Memories. Ted's shadow interrupted me. "Mornin'"

"Day-ee. Ready to go?"

"Let me leave this inside."

"OK. My Rover's the clean one." I looked up. There were three vehicles, one mine. They were all caked in red dust.

"Right," I responded.

We drove to a tin shack about two or three klicks from the hotel. A pair of dogs of assorted heritage served as an alarm system. A woman looked out at us.

"Fred! Ted's here!" she called.

A middle-aged man came out. He was shirtless, so I could see he'd been scarred.

"G'day, Fred. This is Patrick from Sydney."

"You Holli-man?"

"Yes. Patrick Hollister. My grandfather was Holli-man. Near Mitchell."

"Bin tol' 'bout you. Fren Jimmy say 'hello.'"

I was really taken aback. Ted had told me that Fred had been on walkabout to the north. The corroboree must have contained at least one band I knew.

"Gordy there, too. Wives stay home."

I nodded. "My family has been a friend to those bands in Queensland for many years."

Fred nodded. "Jimmy say you nungungi-fella." I nodded. "What totem?"

"I am Carpet Python."

"You close to Great Serpent. Give hand."

We clasped hands. Though not "gifted," Fred was experienced and wise.

"Not need tobacco. You OK. 'Morrow we visit folks at creek." He looked at Ted, who looked stricken. "You drive us, OK?"

Ted nodded.

"Good. Come earlier." He went back into the shack.

"I'll be damned!" Ted said.

"I doubt it. You're a fine fellow."

"How'd he know you?"

"The mulga-wire transmits the word. The meetings at a corroboree transmit information. My grandfather and my father are known and trusted. I was recognized before I was born. I was labelled by Jimmy's nungungi after my mum saved Jimmy's life. There's more going on here than I expected. Let's go and have a draft."


Ted was quite as he drove. When we got to the hotel he stopped in front and turned left in his seat.

"Look, you don't need to explain. I'm a simple bloke. I went to the Academy in Goulburn and I've earned my Associate Degree in Police Practice. But I know I'm not a genius. I'm a Senior Constable. If I'm lucky, I may become a Lead somewhere. But I've no notion what you an' Fred were talkin' about."

I sighed. "Do you have time?"

"'Course."

"Come inside. Sit. In a bit we'll have lunch. I'll try to explain."

He nodded and we went in. It was already 30 [=86F], so the air conditioning was welcome.

"My grandfather ran sheep and cattle on a small station near Mitchell – that's west of Roma. There was a band living along a creek that was his eastern boundary and my dad was friendly with the kids. My dad graduated from the uni in Brisbane and then went to graduate school at UNSW." I paused to drink my draft. "He worked at the Museum in Sydney while he was a student and got a job with the CSIRO on getting his doctorate.

"First he was in Brisbane and then at Black Mountain in the ACT. While he was at Black Mountain, he was sent to Laverton in Western Australia, where he met my mum. She had gone to nursing school in Adelaide, but returned to Laverton – which is around the size of Tibooburra – where she ran the hotel and worked as a nurse." I looked at Ted. "Bored?"

"Not yet."

"Well, pushing ahead, my parents married and my dad was sent to Perth. When my mum was pregnant with me they visited Queensland and my mum diagnosed and cared for an Aborigine with dengue. He was the son of the head of that band and is now the head – the Jimmy who Fred mentioned. He must be 50 now. The Kullila healer told my granddad and dad that they were blessed by Biami and he told my mum that she was nungungi and that she carried a nungungi."

"Hold on. Can you explain that?"

"Traditional tribal healers, called 'Nungungi' in some language groups of Central Australia, are identified as such while they are still young children and are given special education in the healing arts, especially that of medical ethnobotany, by older healers. After I was born, my dad gave the Kullila healer a picture of me, so I was witness to everything he did for a decade or so."

"Weird."

"But here I am. And you know what Fred said. So they know something. The Gordy he mentioned was named after my dad. And my wife and I met his wives at Sydney. Fred met two generations of my family's friends. That gives me a solid reference for the locals."

"OK. I'm still trying to swallow it all."

"Anyway, Fred knew who I was and was expecting me. So those folks by the creek will be expecting me, too. Tomorrow, you will be representing the law and I will be representing the State. I'm not certain what they will say or do, but let's try not to be surprised and let's not act rashly. OK. Now, what's good for lunch?"

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close