Destiny - Cover

Destiny

Copyright© 2011 by Siobhan Langford

Chapter 5

"I've never skipped a class before." They were at that little strip of the beach that they had begun to think of as their spot. Aidan sat with Hayley in his lap, his arms wrapped around her. They were supposed to be working on their final projects in English class today, but Hayley and Aidan had already finished and didn't see the point in going to class when they'd much rather be spending time alone together. They'd been doing that a lot lately. Spending time together, not skipping. Her new relationship with Aidan had loosened her up a bit, but Hayley still wasn't the type to go around skipping classes all of the time. No matter how persuasive Aidan could be.

Within the last couple of weeks, people had begun to notice how much time they were spending together. They weren't flaunting their new relationship. But they certainly weren't trying to hide it. And at those times when Aidan wasn't with her (which was getting more infrequent by the day), Hayley had gotten more than her fair share of dirty looks from some of the girls who usually hung around Aidan. She barely noticed. She was too happy. She still had a hard time believing that Aidan actually liked her when he could have his pick of pretty much any girl at the school. Sometimes, she still worried that it was all just some elaborate joke that he was playing on her. Even as sheltered as she'd been living with her grandmother, she'd seen Never Been Kissed enough times to be wary of popular guys who suddenly fell for the school nerd. But Hayley didn't want to think those thoughts right now. Not when Aidan's arms were wrapped around her. Not when she could feel his heartbeat against her back. Instead, she just snuggled a little more deeply into his arms and pushed away thoughts that he might not be what he seemed.

"You're mighty quiet."

"I'm always quiet."

"I know, but today your quietness is so loud."

"That doesn't even make sense," she answered, laughing. But her laugh was a little forced because she knew what he meant. She was thinking so loudly, he could probably read her mind.

"You know what I mean. You're thinking so loud, I can practically hear your thoughts." His words were so close to her own thoughts that if she hadn't known better, she would swear he actually was reading her mind. For the first time since ... well, maybe ever, Hayley felt like she'd found someone that she could be herself with; that she could tell anything. Well, almost anything. She still hadn't told him that she was a witch. And really, could you blame her? It's not really the type of thing that comes up in everyday conversation. What was she supposed to do? Slip it in between sharing English notes and eating lunch. Can I borrow your notes from Monday? Oh, by the way, I'm a witch. Yeah, that would go over well. She worried that telling him would change things; that he'd think she was weird or creepy and wouldn't want to be with her anymore.

Besides, she was enjoying pretending that she was normal. She hadn't even thought about magic or spells or training in almost a month. She knew her grandmother would be furious if she knew, but Hayley really didn't give a damn anymore. She'd been devoting her life to training for years. For years she had done what was asked of her. What was expected of her. Surely she was due a vacation. She'd had the weight of the worlds on her shoulders for five freaking years. They wouldn't crumble if she rested for just a little while, right? They'd been in existence for billions and zillions and trillions of years before she was born, they could survive without her for a few months, right?

As soon as we graduate, I'll go right back to training. I'll train twice as much to make-up for this year. I just need a little time for myself. She pushed away thoughts of the dream she'd had before coming to Crestwood. Maybe it had seemed real at the time, but after months with no sign that it had been anything more than a dream, Hayley let herself believe that maybe the time wasn't as near as she'd believed.

Hayley leaned back on Aidan a little more and titled her head up for a kiss. He brushed his lips across hers softly, then across her temple. He was amazed by how much she'd opened up lately. It was like she was a completely different person. She was softer, sweeter. He'd been intrigued by the old Hayley, but he was quickly falling in love with the one that was sitting in his lap now. Aidan couldn't believe that just a few months ago he'd been frustrated by the fact that he couldn't read her mind. Back then, he would've killed to be able to read her just like he could read everyone else. But now ... now he wouldn't change it for the world.

It was amazing to be able to be surprised by someone. Aidan never imagined it could so liberating not to know exactly what someone wanted from you. He didn't feel pressured to mold himself to Hayley's image of him because he didn't know what that image was. He loved that he could be himself around her and she still liked him. Just him, not a role that he was playing for her.

Except, as much as he hated to admit it, he was playing a role with her. He still hadn't told Hayley that he could read minds. He told himself that it wasn't important. It wasn't like he could read hers, so why should it matter? But mind reading was part of who he was. Hayley couldn't really love the real him if he wasn't willing to show her all of him. Aidan knew this, but he was still reluctant to tell her. Everything was going so well with her. He didn't want to change anything. He laid his cheek against the top of her head. He wanted things to stay exactly as they were.


She was running through a forest, screaming his name. Branches slapped her face as she ran and she stumbled over stones and tree roots, but she didn't care. She had to find him. He needed her. She could feel it. She yelled his name again, hoping he'd answer, but knowing that he wouldn't. She knew she would be too late.

She was out of breath. She didn't know how long she'd been running, but it felt like forever. Time was running out. Her sweat was dripping into the cuts that the branches had given her, but she didn't even notice the sting. Her chest hurt. From the running. Or the fear. Probably both. But she couldn't stop. She had to find him.

Finally, she pushed through a tangled web of thin, winding tree limbs and found him tied to a tree with limbs as if the tree itself was holding him hostage. He was bleeding from welts on his face that looked like they'd been inflicted by a whip. She ran to him and tried to cut the limbs with her dagger, but they wouldn't cut.

"Just hold on a moment longer and I'll get you free." Her heart was pounding. She knew that even though she'd made it to him she didn't have much time to rescue him before they were discovered. She couldn't let them get caught.

"Who did this to you? I swear I'll kill her, just tell me who it was!" She was still furiously trying to free him from the limbs and making no progress. But she couldn't stop; she had to get him free. Sweat was dripping into her eyes, making it hard for her to see.

"You did it." His voice was hoarse. She could barely hear him. She paused for a moment and looked at him. She must've heard him wrong, surely he didn't say—

"This is your fault, Hayley. You killed me." And with that final statement, he stopped breathing.

"No! This isn't my fault. You're not going to die. I won't let you die!" Hayley became frantic, yanking at the limbs with her hands, trying with all her strength to get him free. She had to get him free! She had to save him.


She woke with her body soaked in sweat. Her breathing was ragged, as if she'd been running for miles. She closed her eyes and tried to calm her racing heart. Hayley was scared. And for good reason. She knew she couldn't comfort herself with the fact that it was "just a dream." Hayley rarely dreamed. And when she did, it was never "just a dream." Hayley knew that this wasn't a dream; it was the future. And she knew exactly what she had to do.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close