Chris Beaker
Chapter 13: Games without Frontiers

Copyright© 2011 by Wandering Lanes

He was back in Afghanistan, crouching behind the wreckage of his jeep hearing the moans of the others lying around while bullets were 'pinging' around them, it was only a matter of time before they were picked off by the snipers, his shoulder was also bleeding but he hadn't noticed it at the moment.

He thought of something that he had seen in his dreams, it was in a book that told a spell to create what was supposed to be a shield, but it would only protect one person. He needed one that would cover the jeep and the men around it.

He smiled, as if just saying the words would help! He opened his mouth and spoke the phrase visualising the area needed.

There was a shimmer in the air and every noise was muted. He looked around and then he could have sworn that he saw a bullet ricochet upwards as if it had struck something solid between the shooter and them. Taking his faith in his hands he got up and was pulling on the shoulders of the nearest man, bringing him back behind the jeep, then going for the next and then the next until all the men were safely shielded by the metal jeep.

The next problem was the radio, which had been struck by several bullets making it inoperable, he needed the radio, to get help. "I need to repair the thing." He muttered under his breath and then watched astounded as the bullets backed out of the casing, leaving holes which closed while he watched.

Finally the radio was back and working. "Romeo Foxtrot 34. Report your position; we are anxious to hear from you." He heard from the speaker.

He reached for the microphone, "Control, Romeo Foxtrot 34 mayday, mayday. We're down and have injured need medevac urgently. Our position is ... is..." That was the last he remembered as he blacked out exhausted.

The 'whomp whomp' sound of the helicopters in the area brought him around, 'they won't get through the shield' he thought and then as he thought this the shield went down, the noise of the area increased as the enemy ran away and more men landed.

He was now surrounded by medics and soldiers, being placed on a stretcher and rushed off to a helicopter. "The others ... how are..." He asked out loud.

"They're fine, only a few minor injuries, just relax." He was told and felt an injection in his arm.


He was back in what he thought of as the book store; behind the counter was a man he didn't recognise. "Who are you?" He asked.

The man smiled. "My name is Chris Beaker, you are Lieutenant May."

Lieutenant May frowned, there was something about that name ... what was it?... "You're supposed to be a terrorist? Why are you here?" He asked.

"To thank you for your actions, you helped that soldier who was shot at the risk of being shown as a Mage to your men, don't worry about that though, they're more concerned for you at the moment. You went back to the headquarters and collapsed. We've moved you to the house and are giving you energy." Chris Beaker told him.

Lieutenant May shook his head, "I don't understand? Why are you helping me? And what's a Mage?" He asked.

"Let's just say I'm not the person you were expecting, I'm with Home security and was assigned this house as part of my work, I'm developing counter-software for the Government and as a side-line I'm running a school for Adepts of the Art. I need an adjutant to look after the paperwork, are you interested in changing jobs?" I asked him.

"I'm not sure, I like the camaraderie of the men I'm with, and I'm part of the team." May said.

Beaker nodded, "But you still have to hide what you can do from them, doesn't that make a difference? At least here you can let your hair down and practise the spells in these books." He said indicating the tomes in the bookshop.

May thought for a while, it could have been seconds or hours he wasn't sure. When he looked up Beaker was still watching him. "Very well, I'll accept. But where do I sign?" He asked looking around for something.

"When you're awake, Lieutenant, this is still a dream-world. I have one more person to introduce you to first." Beaker said indicating the door to the shop.

When they stepped through the door they were not on a street as May expected but inside a vast library. "Ah, Robert May. It's good to see you again." The man seated at a table said and he got up to shake May's hand.

"I remember you; I kept seeing you in the bookshop." May said thinking back to the times that they had passed each other. Not really talking but being shown books of interest by the man.

"It was a strange view of your library, but I liked it." The man said.

"Robert May, this is Aristotle. He is the personification of the Library of this world." Chris Beaker said.

"Personification? You mean he's not real?" May asked.

"My dear boy, I'm as real as you are ... at least in here I am." Aristotle said with a laugh.

At May's puzzled look Chris spoke again, "You see Robert, may I call you Robert? Lieutenant May is so formal for this place. Thank you. You see Robert this is all a dream, we're not actually here. I'm in a chair in your room, I'm currently sleeping. Aristotle is self-aware and has chosen this form to see you. I normally see him dressed in Grecian robes, Nichole – that's Major Moodie by the way – sees a commanding officer. It doesn't matter to him. I'll leave you now to get better acquainted. Just rest and relax and you'll be fine in the morning." Chris Beaker said and then he vanished.

Aristotle smiled at May's look and then took his arm, "Now Robert, you have some questions?" He said leading May to a comfortable chair.


I opened my eyes; I was in the darkening room that was now Lieutenant Robert May's quarters in the school. Near to me was Rachael. "He's stronger now. He won't need any more help from us. His body will recuperate normally." She said her voice sounding distant, then she looked at me. "It seems that there's another healer in the house."

I looked at her and saw that she was troubled, "Oh no, you are going to be the main healer, you have the empathy inside you. Roger May there is going to be a general teacher, covering several areas. You're not getting out of it that easily." I said seeing her face light up and then she tried to hide her feelings.

"I don't think you know what you're on about." She said.

I laughed, "You think so? Or did you just scan me with your powers?" I asked her

She concentrated and I could feel something emanating from her, it felt as if it was covering me and then it was gone returning to Rachael. "You're telling me the truth; you think I'm good enough to do this?" She said amazed.

"Of course you are - do you think we would go after you if we didn't want you?" I asked her.

"You don't know what life on the streets is like, it hard to find someone who would trust you to do anything, the number of men who just looked at us, undressing us in their minds or calling us names, that was why we struck back by stealing and causing damage." This was a different story to what she had said before.

I reached to her, just holding her in my arms and she teared up and started to cry. "It's all right now Rachael, we understand you and we are here to help you." I said realising that this is just what she needed now.

I drew her out of the room, taking her along the hallway to where the others were standing and talking. Natalie came up to us and took Rachael's hand. Then Brian came up and took her other hand. I let the two children lead the elder girl to where Sur'ha was standing.

"Child you need to travel with me to Zorba'n and learn how we heal there, I know of a trainer who will guide you through the Aspect of the Art and to develop your powers." She said taking Rachael's hands from the children and holding them in hers.

"But will I be able to come back? What's going to happen to Simon, I can't just leave him here untreated?" Rachael said anxiously

"Trust me child, I will return here to carry on, it's a strange world to me and I have much to learn as well." Sur'ha said with a smile.

We went in procession to the Training room and the Portal that was waiting for Sur'ha and Rachael. "I Sur'ha of Ool'n request to return to my home with Rac'ha of Earth." Sur'ha said formally.

"Hey I'm Rachael, not Rac'ha!" Rachael protested.

Sur'ha gave her a smile, "You will be in my world, trust me the name Rac'ha will become well known there."

The Portal brightened and a glowing tunnel appeared inside it. Holding Rachael tight Sur'ha stepped into the frame, quickly vanishing to a point as they moved away from us, and then the Portal darkened.

We looked at each other and then I spoke up, "Portal, did Sur'ha and Rachael arrive safely to Zorba'n?"

The stone portal lit up and that voice spoke from it, "Both travellers have arrived to requested destination. Do you need anything further?" It asked.

"Can you allow people access without anyone having to be here to give it?" I asked.

"Should you give such access then it is allowed. Do you want this to be done?" The portal voice asked.

I smiled, "Yes please Portal, if you will please allow access for Sur'ha of Ool'n and Rachael, or Rac'ha of Earth. I Chris Beaker request this."

"The format is strange but it is allowable to this Portal. The access has been granted." The voice said and then the Portal went dark again.


I turned to the others and shook my head, "I don't know about you but I need some proper sleep." I said and went to leave.

Shifu paused, "If you don't mind I will take the children and expand on their abilities, they need to practise their physical defences." He said as Natalie and Brian showed up wearing their gi, what I was surprised by was Simon showing up.

"Shifu? I'm not sure about having Simon here, he's still recuperating." I queried worried for the state of the boy.

Shifu gave a nod, "It will be alright Chris, I will not be showing him how to throw anyone tonight, his lessons are in control of his body and mind." He said giving a bow to the three children and nodding as they bowed back.

I realised I had to trust Shifu in this, he was the second in command after all and I had to learn how to delegate.

I returned to my room and sat on the bed, closing my eyes I concentrated on my library.


I opened my eyes to find I was surrounded by the books I had come to expect, fewer Black books and more Green, the patch of Yellow had grown into a forest on the bookshelves. Then I noticed a couple of translucent books had appeared.

Frowning I opened one and examine the title. 'The Uses of Atomic Energy in a human body.' I shook my head, 'Just why would this be around? And why now?' I wondered.

I went to the computer terminal in my library and typed in. 'What is this book doing here?'

The screen flashed and then sent a string of '???????' back.

"Aristotle? Can I see you?" I called out and waited ... and waited. This was odd; no this was more than odd. Aristotle never failed to appear when called.

"C ... Chris can I have a w ... ord?" the voice came from a doorway, but it wasn't Aristotle, this was Ichabod the Library of Zorba'n.

"Of course Ichabod, please come in." I said puzzled.

Into my library stepped a man from the seventeenth Century, wearing a frock coat and a tricorn hat, he was straight out of the Disney cartoon version of 'Sleepy Hollow' sporting a large nose and a pigtail on the back of his head.

"My b ... brother wanted me to have a word with you." Ichabod said without preamble. "He has done something that he feels ... isn't correct or pro ... proper." He said.

I sighed, "Ichabod, you and I know that your stutter is just for show, now tell me what has Aristotle done and why does he worry about it?" I said.

Ichabod gave a human sigh and then faced me. "You are aware that we libraries are repositories of all books?" He asked and I nodded, "Aristotle has become aware of a future event that could mean your demise ... this is something that he wants to avoid as he has come to respect you."

I was shocked, "But he knows that foreknowledge of events can cause problems ... why would he do that?" I asked.

"Because you have brought people to see him, due to you he knows the scripts he sends out are now being used as they should. You are important in this world. You are the motivator of this school that you are creating. You have to be protected." Ichabod said as if he also believed it.

I shook my head, "But anybody could have done that, I was just in the way." I protested.

Ichabod held up a book but wouldn't let me take it, "This book chronicles the rise of the Mages on Earth; it shows that you were the main mover in the creation of the Guilds and helped to bring order to the world."

I went to reach for it but the book vanished back to the library from whence it came. "You have a duty to fulfil, and we will ensure that you will do it." He said.

I started to pace the floor, "But I told him not to tell me what happened in the future!" Well actually I hadn't but it was apparently written down in a book somewhere. "I don't like being forced into a role. I'd much rather go into the future with my eyes firmly shut!" I said

Ichabod nodded, "Which is why Aristotle didn't want to see you." He went to the door but turned before going through it. "I think you'd better learn the spells, they're going to be useful to you later." He said and then closed the door firmly behind him; I went to chase after him but the door had vanished.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close