How Many Times Do I Have to Tell You It Won't Work?

by bytemangler

Copyright© 2011 by bytemangler

Drama Story: Sam is convinced that he can create a 'perpetual computer' design that will work forever without any energy source. Steve is supportive but skeptical, and eventually their ways part.

Tags: Drama   Science   Workplace  

Sam burst into my office one day, a few years back. He was excited and was carrying a pile of papers.

"Hey, Steve, I think I am on the track of something stupendous. Remember that

'perpetual computer' that always ran down and stopped? I have a new approach to the battery subsystem that I'm absolutely positive will stay alive forever"!

"Forever? That's an ambitious objective, to say the least. Let me look at what you have".

I looked over his work carefully; at first it did indeed look like a significant breakthrough, but then I found a fatal miscalculation. I sighed, and said, "Look at this equation. It is impossible for that coefficient to be larger than one. If it were, you would be on the track of a perpetual motion machine, and we all know that violates the laws of physics".

"Damn. Let me go back and work this through some more".

"OK, but don't forget that we need the final plan for the iGizmo software rollout by the end of the week".

For the next few days, I didn't see much of Sam, although he was working late almost every evening. Friday morning, I asked him for the software plan, and he said, "Sorry; I got sidetracked by the perpetual computer scheme, but I'll have it by the end of the day. I have a new approach for the battery system I'll show you soon".

"Don't let your other projects fall behind while you are still trying to outwit the laws of physics".

"I just know that there's gotta be a way to make it work!"

A few weeks later, Sam sent me an email, saying "I have it working in my lab.

When can you come and look at it?"

When I got there, Sam proudly showed me a model of the computer, sitting in a vacuum chamber. "Look, there are no connections from the outside; there's no energy going in. It's been running for a week, and the power level in the battery hasn't dropped at all. I really have it working this time!"

"And just how does it run without any power going in?"

"100% efficient battery chemistry".

"Hmm, I'm not sure about this. Let me study the battery design, and maybe have some other people look it over".

"OK, but I'm sure it's the real thing this time!"

Hermann, who is a superb chemist, brought us the answer. "Actually, there is energy going into that system, from the vacuum pump. The quickest way to prove it is to totally seal the system and remove the pump".

Sam said, "Go ahead. I'm still convinced that the system will run perpetually, even if we seal it as you suggest".

The test didn't show anything for a week, and Sam's enthusiasm grew by leaps and bounds. However, the next week, the instrumentation clearly indicated that the battery was slowly losing power.

"Sam - my office - now!"

He sat down, distracted by some sketches and calculations on the pad of paper in front of him. I was getting annoyed with his obsession and unwillingness to accept reality.

"You need to drop this exercise in futility. Your other projects are suffering, and there are problems with the iGizmo that need your attention. Are you with me on this?"

"Steve, I can't let it go. I know I'm so close!"

"What is there that makes you think you are not bound by the laws of nature?"

"I just know it's gotta work!"

"In that case, we can't afford to keep you on here, especially in these times.

Please don't let this happen - you and I go back a long way, and we need you here".

"Damn it, Steve, I have to keep trying to make it work!"

"In that case, I'll miss you. Good luck!"

I lost touch with him until, last week, I was saddened to pick up the paper and read that he had died in a huge explosion in his basement. I realized that he had never given up, and was still pursuing his impossible dream.

 
There is more of this story...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close