Destruction Aftermath, Book 1
Chapter 15

Copyright© 2010 by radio_guy

Shirley and I gathered our radio neighbors and Dad gathered his brothers and we met at the sub station. We talked over what we knew which wasn't much. We all looked over the station which looked like it took a direct hit from lightning. We were at a loss. Ted had worked a bit with the power company years ago as a lineman but he didn't know what to do with this mess.

Finally, Dad said, "Jack and Shirley warned us that this day would come. It's here. We need to make plans. Temporary power using gas and diesel generators is first. We will also have to go into town and see what damage and power loss our warehouses may have suffered. The second plan is to figure out how we are going to provide power on a long term basis because running a bunch of gas and diesel generators twenty-four hours a day is not a long term solution."

Discussion then ensued! The radio folk sort of got off to a corner and were talking to Shirley and me about our dam. Shirley set them right that my dad had the priorities right. Get a generator going to get power now and then start to work cooperatively to get a long term solution which might or might not be a dam and water wheel.

They quieted down and then Dad and his brothers did, too. I decided to say something quickly. "Guys, we need to talk about what we need to do right now to get power to everyone's house and see if that can be done. When Shirley and I were working on this, we picked up a generator that was sufficient and it's still at our house. There were three more at the same store. I'm sure there are others in Carrollton but someone will have to go after them along with gas or diesel to make them run. That's a start. Anything off that point is useless right now."

The noise level went up again for a moment and my dad shouted, "Quiet." Everyone quieted. Dad's voice can be powerful when he wants it to be and he did. "Now, Charlie. Don't you and Robert live next door?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Good. You two check with Shirley and she will send you to pick up one of the generators Jack mentioned. Go."

"Ted, what do you need?"

"Nothing, I'm covered for about two days. Then, I will need gas but I can find it."

"Okay, help Charlie and Robert and stock up on gas while you're at it."

"Okay, Robbie. Good plan." Ted left to meet Charlie and Robert outside where they were talking with Shirley.

"Jack, can your generator go to one of your neighbors?" I nodded. "Okay, when Shirley comes in, she can handle that. I want you to go into town and check on our warehouses. If you can figure out what to do and do it, good. Otherwise, call me and we'll figure it out. You go." I wiggled my fingers at Ollie, Ben, and Michael to follow me. They looked a little confused but came.

"Your dad can be rather forceful, can't he, Jack?" said Ollie.

"Yes, but he gets things done. Here's what we will do. Michael, Ben, take the generator over to the house where you are staying. That gets you set up. Shirley will come over and help you set it up. Ollie, you, Anne, and Oliver will stay with us for a few days. I want to go over the figures with Shirley but I think we can rig a line from the water wheel to handle your house, also. It's closest and on the correct side of the creek." Shirley had finished talking with Ted, Charlie, and Robert. She joined us having heard most of what I said.

"Where are you going, Jack?" she asked.

"Dad wants me to check on the warehouses."

"Okay, so I'm tied up with the generator. Take Janice and Oliver with you. You shouldn't go in alone. I know it's safe. Just make me happy."

"Okay, Shirl. Let's go to the house and get our part of this show on the road."

On the way, Shirley called Janice and told her what to do and to get Oliver to join her. She replied that she would. We headed for the house. I helped Michael and Ben load the generator while Shirley and Ollie got gas. We loaded everything into the spare truck since Michael and Ben were in a SUV. They were ready to go as Oliver came down the hill from his house and Janice met him with a quick kiss.

"Grandpop," he said, "my suitcase is packed and is on the porch. Okay?"

"Okay, Oliver. Go with Jack."

I thought to myself, "He's going with Janice, I'm just the moving factor here." I didn't say anything just smiled at Shirley who smiled back. Everyone mounted up and trucked out.

Janice and Oliver squeezed into the passenger seat but didn't seem to mine being that close to each other. Again, I kept quiet and made small talk on the way into town. As we came into town, I cautioned them both to be watchful for people and for lights. I pulled up at the grocery store where Dad and his brothers had stored food in the freezers and coolers. I went inside and noticed that no lights were on but didn't know how Dad had left the place. I went to a cooler and checked inside. The light did not come on. I checked the walk-in freezer next to it with the same results. Okay, power is off here.

"Janice, you and Oliver go across the street to Adams Hardware and see if there are any generators there. If so, load a two kilowatt on a hand truck and bring it over along with instructions."

"Okay, Jack."

"Be careful."

"'kay." They left.

Five minutes later, they were back with an appliance hand truck and a generator. "We brought gas cans, too." Oliver said. "I checked the instructions. It uses standard gasoline and we also brought heavy duty extension cords for 110 and 220 volts."

"Great, Oliver. Set it down here. I will wire it. You and Janice go get gas. You may have to siphon it if the gas station power is out, also." I thought to myself, he is a bright kid. I don't know if I would have thought of all of that.

"Okay, we also brought some tools." He laid them out for me. Screwdrivers, pliers, side cutters and tape! He was amazing.

"That's outstanding!" I said. Janice was positively beaming.

"Thanks. We'll be back in a few minutes."

I circled the two units and found their wiring which was 220 at the back in an easily accessible area. I started on the electricity and quickly realized that this was going to be absurdly simple. With the cord brought by Oliver, it was going to be a matter of unplugging and replugging. I did and then moved the generator to the back of the units. I got everything ready to go. A couple of minutes later, Oliver and Janice returned lugging two five gallon cans. We filled the tank. I had checked the manual. It was supposed to run for twenty-four hours on a tank. We primed it and cranked. It started on the second pull. I engaged the generator and plugged our two appliances in. The motor lugged but then came back up almost to full song. I could hear the two compressors running which meant we were successful. I had found some tubing and routed the exhaust to a window and taped it in place.

I packed the tools back into the bag that Oliver had appropriated and we left the store. I heard the truck before I saw it. We hunkered down with Janice between us peering over the truck bed. It was my Uncle Marshal heading for a generator. Oliver said, "Tell him there's another one at the hardware store."

I waved at Uncle Marshal and he pulled up next to us. "There's another one at Adam's that should work for you, Uncle Marshal." I said.

"Thanks, Jack." He said. He pulled up at the front door and parked.

"Oliver, get the hand truck. It makes things much easier." Oliver ran to get the truck while I went in with Janice and Uncle Marshal.

"The generators are over there," said Janice, pointing. We went "over there" and there was another. Oliver wheeled up with the hand truck and we "horsed" that thing on the hand truck, carried it to Uncle Marshal's truck and loaded it up. Janice came out carrying two new five gallon gas cans.

"You'll need them." I said.

"Thanks," he said and drove towards the gas station.

We went to the commercial cold storage company. That was Dad's other warehouse. I could hear an engine running as we came in. The lights were on inside in the back business area though there was nothing lit in the front reception area. We went in back and saw the installed stand-by generator which was running. I saw the tank and opened the lid. It smelled of diesel. The tank was big. I decided that it would be okay for today. Tomorrow, we would have to return to both places and check them. I called the information into Dad and he agreed with my actions and plans. He said to head home and rest because we will be busy tomorrow and for a while. I acknowledged and we went home. Janice was sitting in Oliver's lap which was probably more comfortable. I called Shirley on the radio and she responded that she also was on her way back home after having gotten Charlie and Robert hooked up to the generator and being sure there was plenty of gas.

A few minutes later, we pulled in at the house. Anne and Ollie were there. I told Anne she would bunk with Janice and that Ollie and Oliver would have the guest room unless one of them preferred the couch. Oliver volunteered for the couch. Ollie grinned and said, "They found out that I snore pretty loudly while we were on the road. I don't blame him."

I chuckled and said, "It's okay by me. Let's get you moved in and start supper." We did both.

Shirley drove up with Mary and Robert in his truck. "I invited them for supper tonight. Charlie is bringing Sylvia and Michelle over shortly." she told me.

We had a nice meal and I enjoyed Mary being happy and Charlie and Sylvia and Janice and Oliver flirting. In the radio room, Janice took the speaker's seat and we gathered around her. There wasn't as long a net as in the past because so many people in our net were now here. Janice was preparing to close the net and said, "Does anyone have anything else for tonight?"

She paused and, from the speakers, we heard a hoarse voice say, "This is Jeff, N9XVD in Indiana. May I talk with you?"

"Yes, of course, Jeff. I am Janice. We are in west Georgia. I read you clearly though your signal is not real strong. Over."

"Thank you, Janice. There's no one around here and it's very lonely. My wife passed away with the virus and we never had any children. I haven't found any living relatives."

"Jeff, why don't you come to west Georgia. We have a good community here with my family and others who have joined us. There seems to be very few people left. There are many less than the estimates we heard when the news broadcasts were still working."

Shirley was at the computer looking him up in the database. His call came up. He had a few pictures. He was a young man of about thirty or so with fairly good looks. His page had a fair bit of information on it which we quickly read. Shirley reached over for the mike. "Jeff, this is Shirley. My husband, Jack and I are the leaders of our community. You would be welcome to join us. We just had a family join us from Pennsylvania so it can be done. You'll need a SUV, mount radios so we can talk, and be careful. We are finding dogs to be a problem. So far, most of the power grid is holding out so gas shouldn't be a problem. Housing is available so just bring your personal stuff."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close