Problems
Chapter 18

Copyright© 2010 by Pedant

After dinner, Jacky rang up to confirm that all four of them would be coming for lunch. Then David called to say he'd leave the winery around two. "That means 'before three'," Mum said. "So he'll be here by five." I laughed. David was notable for showing up for lunch at dinnertime.

After the kids were in bed, Weena wanted to talk about Mum's treasures. I tried to put her off, but her "missing" maternal relatives became salient, so I let her go on for a while. But I was uneasy about it all. I knew I was wrong, but it seemed like plundering my parents.

In the morning, Dad and I went outside with Patrick.

"They should get here in about an hour," Dad said.

"Jacky and Alice and their Gordy and Weena?"

"Right, Pat. I've got some business to do with Jacky."

"It's a big present, but I don't understand it."

"That's okay," I said. "There are many things that become clearer as you get older."

"You say that a lot."

"And he's right," Dad threw in.

"Phone, Gordy!" Weena called from the kitchen. She was holding Sarah and my mobile. "Mona."

"Hollister ... that's okay ... yes ... yes ... He knows I'm away? ... Right ... How about Wednesday? ... Okay ... I'll rely on your discretion. Fine ... No, don't worry. Right. Bye."

"Problems?" asked Weena.

"Not really. Just a complication. The Dean wants to see me. Mona says that he wants me to teach. I guess I'm permitted to do that. But we'll see."

"So do you become 'Director-Professor' or 'Professor-Director'?" Dad laughed.

"In German, you'd have to throw in Doctor, too." Patrick looked puzzled.

"How many jobs can you have?" he asked.

"As many as you can carry. Many folks do too many. Then they drop things. Like trying to carry too many toys or books at once." He nodded. "Being a director isn't tough; I have a lot of help. Going to SciTech isn't hard, it just takes time. Being on the telly is more difficult, because I have to make what I say right for that audience. And I have to try to not get everyone angry with me. Teaching university students is harder, because they know more. And then there are my big jobs."

"Big jobs?"

"Mum and Dad, you and Sarah, your Mum, Weena. And all our friends."

"Oh."

"The nungungi has his whole band and relations to other bands."

"Right. Now I see." He went inside and I could hear him going upstairs.

Jacky and his family arrived and everyone exchanged greetings. Patrick took little Gordy, less than two years his junior, upstairs to see the horse. Dad asked Jacky to come and sit at the dining table for a moment and told me to join them. The three ladies and the infants went into the kitchen.

"Jacky," Dad began. "We've known you for over 30 years. But we're getting old. I'm selling everything and we're moving to a retirement flat in Roma." He held up a hand. "Hold on. Let me say my piece. Well, you've been a good friend to Gordy and to us over the years — just look at the way you named your kids! -- so we thought that maybe we could do something for the four of you. I've spoken to David and to Gordy and this is right with them." He drew a breath.

"I've had the land surveyed and cut a 500-acre piece out of the section." Dad pushed a piece of paper across the table. "There's the official survey." He produced another piece of paper. "And here's what's called a conveyance. Complete with a seal. And, finally, here's a title guarantee. Just a minute or two more. Tomorrow I'll have the crew put up a three-wire fence. When that's done, we'll truck the sheep over. You've now got your own station and you'll have stock. And I hope that in 40 years you'll look back and say that Alice helped you as much as Mum's helped me."

Jacky burst into tears.

"Now stop that. Go tell Alice. Don' want her thinking it's bad."

Jacky reached across the table and grabbed Dad's hand. "Thank you. Thank you." He went into the kitchen.

"That was a fine thing, Dad."

"Was it appropriate?" There was a little shriek.

"I think that's the answer."

Patrick and Little Gordy reappeared, carrying a large box. "Dad, what's this?"

"Oh. Oh. Wow. I didn't know that was still here. That's my Hornby OO Royal Scotsman. It's a model train I built when I was 12 or 13." I turned to Dad. "Are the rest here, too?"

"Damned if I know. If Mum saved one, she prob'ly saved all."

"Patrick, it's a part of a complicated toy. When we've time tomorrow we'll look. If there are enough pieces, we'll set them up for you at home."

"A model train?"

"That's right. Put it down over there."

"'Kay. There are a lot of books. Can I give some to Gordy?"

"Of course. But ask Alice if she thinks they're okay when you bring them down here."

"Thanks, Mister Gordy," said Gordy. They ran back upstairs. I heard Alice asking Mum something, but it wasn't intelligible. Dad just smiled at me.

"The ladies are straightening things out." A moment later, Jacky, Alice (carrying Sarah), Mum, and Weena (carrying little Weena) emerged from the kitchen.

"Thank you very much, Mr. Hollister," said Alice. "You have done something quite wonderful. I'm not certain I can express myself. That's why I'm speaking formally. You're all so good to us."

"You know, Alice," I said, "I've known Jacky nearly all my life. And he knows how I feel. We stole this land from you. Thousands of years before Cook or Tasman or the First Fleet, you were here. David doesn't want this place. Nor do I. But you can use it. You can work it. Dad's returning those 500 acres. Did you tell them?" I turned to Dad.

"No."

"Okay. And Dad's giving acreage along the creek to the band. A few hundred acres."

"You're a good friend, Gordy," said Jacky.

"As you've been to me. Mum, when's the tucker going to be ready?"

"Whenever you boys are done blowing smoke."

Weena raised her voice: "Patrick, Gordy! Wash your hands now! Time to eat." She handed Weena to Jacky and Alice handed Sarah to me. The "girls" then set table.

"Jacky," Dad said, "before we settle down. As soon as you can — maybe tomorrow — head into town and register that change of title. They'll hit you for some tax or other, but get the piece of paper."

"Yes, sir. I'll take the cheque book."

We had a good lunch. Sarah got a bit fussy, and that set off baby Weena. Afterwards, Dad asked Jacky whether he'd drive down to the camp with us. We did so. After a bit, Dad handed the paper and the plat to the chief, explaining that it was now the band's land. We shook hands all round and drove back.

"So easy," muttered Jacky.

"Eh?"

"You make it so easy."

Patrick and Gordy had erected a pile of books and one of puzzles and games in Jacky's ute. "Can I give these to Gordy?"

"I think so. Let me glance at the stuff." After a minute or two I said "Looks fine to me." And I went inside. A bit later, Jacky and family drove off, having repeated their thanks. We went back inside.

"Are there a lot of things you want, Patrick?"

"Yes."

"Stack them neatly. If there are things David wants, he gets first pick. He's older."

"Okay."

Weena changed Sarah, fed her and put her down. We fetched coffee and made ourselves comfortable. At just past four David drove up. After the usual family chit-chat, we went upstairs.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close