To Whome It May Concern
Chapter 4: The Awakening

Copyright© 2010 by James Marcus

The Remote Interface Unit sat at one of the holographic display stations in the dark room, attempting to access the system in the manner appropriate for its new body. How the Kreg’ar managed to utilize the systems in this archaic manner and why, still escaped its understanding. Its fingers flashed along the digital display in front of it. It looked at the projections which after an hour still displayed the same flashing red words. MORGALON PRESENCE DETECTED, PROTOCOL ALPHA IN EFFECT, PLANET QUARANTINED. The Unit could not get the system to display anything else since it returned from its mission on the planet over two weeks ago, and it was denied access to the mainframes link and to the ships systems. It stood up and paced around the dark room, finally it spoke aloud. “Mainframe why have you disconnected my link, why can I not access the ships systems, what has become of the two humans brought aboard.” Its efforts were rewarded with silence.

The Remote Interface stared out the forward display which showed the Planet below, for a second its thoughts were interrupted as it marveled at the planets beauty, and then it went back to pacing the room. “What am I doing staring at the planet, I have seen it many times, I must focus. Why would the Mainframe disconnect me, my mission is not complete I still need to contact David again and asses his abilities and the progress of the Nano-Bots. I cannot do that from here.”

As the Unit paced the room some more, one of the forward holographic displays went blank and blue lettering started flashing across its screen. “Remote Interface Unit Mark II, Sit at this display.”

The Remote Interface Unit approached the display and sat down. The typing started again as it sat. “Why have you violated the planets quarantine ... Two of the planets life forms have been brought aboard in direct violation of Alpha Protocol?”

“They had witnessed the encounter with the Morgalon. Protocol Gamma requires that no inhabitant from a primitive planet see or encounter an advanced life form, all who do are to be processed for memory removal at earliest opportunity.” It replied

“Alpha Protocol supersedes all other protocols; the planet is to remain quarantined until Morgalon presence has been removed. You should have dispatched the witnesses and left the scene.”

“Negative, the Alpha Protocol does not give us the authority to kill civilians or bystanders while engaging the Morgalons. The purpose of the quarantine is to prevent any of the Morgalon Scabs from escaping the planet to infect other populations; the Scabs had been dispatched by the Combat Drones. The threat had been neutralized. The Morgalon had returned to its pocket dimension.”

“Irrelevant, the quarantine was still in effect at the time you brought the life forms here. They may have been infected before you arrived. They must be terminated...”

“Negative, neither you nor I have the authority to terminate a sentient life form other than the Morgalons and their scabs. Termination of sentient life is only authorized at the order of the Commander.”

“This vessel does not have a Commander, all command decisions now default to the mainframe.”

“Except in the case of a mission, following the Command guidelines of the fleet mainframe, then command decisions fall to the Remote Interface Unit assigned to said mission, to ensure proper execution of said mission. I am still the Remote Interface assigned to this mission, Command Protocols are still mine and I have Identified David Jenkins as Mission Commander, thus transferring command protocols to him.”

“Logic is sound ... Command Protocols transferred to David Jenkins; David Jenkins is now recognized as Commander of this vessel. Remote Interface Unit Mark II recognized as Mission Commander ... Fleet protocols in effect ... Fleet Protocols supersede Alpha Protocol ... Mainframe Link reestablished ... Planetary Quarantine lifted. As this displayed across the screen in front of the Remote Interface Unit, the other displays began to change from the Blinking red letters to their former displays. The red overhead light turned off.

“The Remote interface unit looked around at the room with a slight smile on its lips. “Mainframe, let us get this place ready for the Commander and our guests, lights up, power to all systems, begin startup procedures to all bays and quarters. “ as it said this the displays and lights began to turn on throughout the room, and the Bridge of the ship floating in orbit above the planet came to life with lights and sound, seconds later everything went black, and then lit up once more.

The Unit looked again at the display. “Mainframe what was that?” The Remote interface Unit inquired.

A calm masculine voice reverberated through the bridge “Ships systems have degraded, Life support not operational in many key areas, power systems damaged, ships power reserves are low.” The ship responded.

“Shut off all non essential systems and bays, keep life support to key areas and to crew quarters.” The Remote Interface unit responded. “What has been done with the life forms that were brought aboard?”

“They have been placed in stasis awaiting the Commanders orders and a medical review.”

The Unit smiled once again and stood up from the station it occupied. “Good.” It said as it looked down at the uniform it wore. “Mainframe transport me to an unoccupied room close to the Commanders location. I think it is time we brought him home.”

...

David sat in the hospital bed picking through the meal in front of him. His stomach gurgled loudly. He looked up from the meal that he knew he was not going to eat, as a familiar person walked into the room. He could not quite place the face, she was wearing a nurse’s uniform but something did not fit. It took a few more seconds for David to realize that he was looking at the girl from his dream. She walked around the bed and stood next to David with a grin on her face. “Hello Commander, I take it you are feeling better. Initial analysis of your systems shows your injuries are repaired and the upgrades have begun.”

David looked at her in shock. “I thought you were a dream?” he stated.

“No sir; I am quite real and our conversation while you were unconscious did take place. It is understandable why you might have thought it was a dream as it did take place in your mind, but now is not the time or place for us to be having this conversation. There are too many other eyes and ears listening for us to talk freely. Some unfortunate things happened the night you were brought in to this place. Since you are the only person who was on this floor at the time that is not currently missing, there is some suspicion laid on you. As we speak there are three different cameras and at least four listening devices in or near this room, right now they all are receiving some interference, but we cannot keep it up long without raising too much suspicion. I will return tonight during our next window of opportunity and we will discuss things more. Just know we are here and we are watching. Good day Commander.” As she finished what she was saying she vanished from the room in a flash of light.

A few seconds later three orderlies came into the room and began fussing with various pieces of equipment in the room. David watched them as he nibbled at the poor excuse for food he had in his lap. It did not take much for David to notice they were not paying much attention to what they were looking at and seemed to be observing him. “Can I help you gentlemen?” David asked.

The three quickly looked up from what they were doing and mumbled something about routine checks. They had just started making their excuses as Karen walked into the room. “Routine checks my ass, what the hell do you think you’re doing with that equipment. No one is supposed to touch that without a Dr.’s order and a nurse’s permission! Let me see you badges NOW!!”

The three orderlies looked at each other and then at Karen. “I said NOW! SECURITY!!” Karen yelled as she hit the nurses call button beside David’s bed.

As Karen called for security the three orderlies attempted to head out the door. Karen stuck her foot out and tripped the first one, as the second approached her, her hand flew up and slammed into the man’s trachea. The third orderly was stopped short by hospital security as he tried to leave the room. Karen looked down at her hand astonished. “How the hell did I do that?”

The security guard and a pair of real orderlies were rounding up the three false orderlies and broke Karen out of her contemplation. “Nurse Dale these security badges are fake, we will be taking these men to the security station and contacting the authorities if you have nothing else for us.?”

“No that will be all thank you.” She replied as she continued to star at her hand and then over at the two injured men.

Karen walked over to the equipment and began looking over it to ensure no damage was done. After a few seconds Karen walked back into the hall “Julia can you get a couple techs up here to verify this stuff is working right. I am concerned what exactly those three were up too.”

“No, problem girl, man this sure has been a weird couple of weeks, I tell you, and I got some stories to be tellin’ my Ma when I get home.” Julia replied from the nurse’s station.

Karen went back into the room shaking her head with a grin. She went back to the equipment and after a few more seconds came over to David’s bedside. As she approached his bed her face began to flush and her heart fluttered slightly. She was not sure what it was about him but the more time she spent with him the harder it was to leave. “Are you ok David? Did they do anything to you?” She asked with concern.

“No, Karen I am fine thank you for asking.” He replied taking her hand into his. “There is one thing you could do for me though. Can you please get rid of this?”

David pointed towards the untouched meal sitting in his lap. Karen looked down at the food. Her fingers tingling slightly from the contact with David. For a second she could have sworn she saw a slight glow when their hands touched. Her whole body started tingling shortly afterwards. “David you need to eat something, you will never get your strength back if you don’t.”

David smiled up at her, “I can’t eat THIS, its foul, can you please get me something else. Maybe from the cafeteria?” He asked

Karen new it was against policy but for some reason she could not bring herself to say no to this man. “Sure no problem, I’ll be right back.” as she took the tray from his lap.

As Karen walked out of the room carrying the tray, David once again admired her form. “God she is beautiful.” Was all he could think.

...

Shortly after The Remote Interface Unit returned to the bridge of the ship. A console to its right started beeping loudly and the voice of the mainframe sounded over the ships intercom. “Second source of Kreg’ar DNA detected. Nano-Bots not present in blood stream DNA severely thinned by Human Genome but DNA is present. Mission Commander, awaiting instructions.”

The Unit walked over to the display “Show me this source of Kreg’ar DNA.”

The display flickered and brought up a security camera in the hospital, the camera zoomed in closely on a female nurse. “Hmmm. Interesting, that is the nurse that has been taking care of the Commander. Monitor this individual and record all activities. I will contact the Commander and notify him of this new development tonight.” It replied with a grin.

...

David was awoken from his rest by the sound of people talking quietly. “He can’t be put in this room. Mr. Jenkins is not to be disturbed!” He recognized the voice as Karen and she seemed very agitated.

“Look, I am sorry nurse but I have my orders, I was instructed to put this patient in THIS room.” A second male voice responded.”

“Look guys, all this fuss is not really nee...” A third male voice started to say before he was interrupted by both the other two telling him to “Shut Up.” at the same time.

David cleared his throat as he looked up at the three from where he was laying.

Karen was standing in front of a gurney attempting to prevent it from entering any further into the room than it already had. The first male was standing behind the gurney obviously trying to get it around Karen into the room and the second male was laying on the gurney. All three were staring right at him. It was one of the funniest things David had seen in a long time and he could not help but start to laugh. The man on the bed looked a little shocked and then after looking at the two fighting over his gurney, he quickly joined in. David managed to get himself under control and wiped the moisture from his eyes as Karen and the Man who David assumed was an Orderly stared at the two laughing patients. “Oh. Oh. Oh My! I have not laughed that hard in a long time. Karen ... its ok let him in, I don’t mind.”

“But David...”

“It’s ok, I am sure the Orderly is just doing his job and besides there is another bed.” David stated motioning to the empty bed on the other side of the room. “I am sure that they are short of rooms with the other ward shut down.”

Karen stepped out of the orderly’s way, who then proceeded over to the empty bed; he gave Karen a self-righteous smile as he passed her. He helped the patient onto the bed and then left the room with the gurney. Karen immediately went over to David’s side and began apologizing for waking him. David just smiled, patted her lightly on her behind and assured her he was fine and quite happy for the company. “It will be nice to have someone to talk to.”

As Karen left the room David turned to his new roommate. “Hello, my name is David, David Jenkins; it’s nice to meet you.”

The other man looked over at David still chuckling. “My name is Chris, Chris Walker. My friends call me Spaz. Thank you very much I have not laughed like that in weeks.”

“So, Spaz, what brings you to my little slice of heaven?” David asked his new neighbor

“An accident at work, my legs were hurt pretty bad and this hospital supposedly has some of the best orthopedic surgeons in the state.” Spaz replied the humor suddenly dropping from his voice. “How about you?”

“Not much really I collapsed at work and was in a comma for about a week. I woke up a couple of weeks ago; they have me here for observation while they run tests trying to figure out what happened to me.”

David continued to have a pleasant conversation with Spaz for another hour until his thoughts were interrupted by the return of the girl who kept calling him Commander. She entered the room quite cautiously and immediately went to David’s bedside. David looked at her, quite puzzled by the way she was acting. “Is something wrong Nurse?” he asked hesitantly.

She looked around the room, her head quirked to one side slightly as if listening for something, and then quickly glanced in Spaz’s direction. Turning towards David she leaned in closely and whispered. Commander there are no more listening devices in your room and all the cameras have been disabled. However there are several police officers in the hallway, two police officers have been in the hall at all times since the night you awoke. For your safety I need to get you out of here. However protocols do not allow for me to just remove you from the room. We are not allowed to use any of our advanced technology in the presence of unadvanced individuals or cultures. What are your orders?”

David looked up at her with puzzlement and confusion. “What the hell are you talking about?” As David asked this question, the nurse cocked her head once again and suddenly David’s mind was flooded with recollection of their conversation while he was unconscious.

David’s head hurt once again and his eyes felt as if they were about to pop. He quickly grabbed the sides of his head and fought the urge to gag and scream at the same time. The nurse looked at him with horror and just as quickly as it started the images and memories stopped. “I apologize sir; I had not considered that your implants were not complete enough for the upload. Have I caused you harm?”

David stared at the nurse, his head hurt and he was just as confused as before. “I have no idea what you are talking about?”

“I need to know how you want us to extract you? Wait I have an idea.” She stated as once again her head cocked slightly to the left.

...

David found himself once again standing at the lonely bus station in the middle of a grey fog on the same lonely stretch of road. “We really need to work on your link sir, this just will not do.” The nurse’s voice proclaimed form behind David.

David jumped and spun around. There standing at the entrance to the bus stop was the nurse dressed in the same outfit she was wearing the last time they were here. “How did we get here?” David asked

“We are in your mind sir. This is a virtual representation of you, well at least as you view yourself. It is pretty bleak and dull though. We will definitely need to work on this. But first we have some matters to discuss.”

David stared at the woman in disbelief. “What!!”

“Sir, as I said last time we were here, you are the descendant of Commander Alexander Jenkins. Commander Jenkins was a member of an ancient race of beings known as the Kreg’ar. Commander Jenkins was the mission commander of a unit of special operatives, sent to this area of space to search out and capture or eliminate any member of another race known as the Morgalons, that they could find. The Kreg’ar and the Morgalons had been at war for thirty years prior. The Kreg’ar were winning the war and had managed to scatter the Morgalons across the galaxy. Commander Jenkins’s unit was one of many that were sent to find and eliminate them before they could pose a threat to other species in the galaxy. According to our records when Commander Jenkins and his unit arrived at Earth, A Morgalon High lord had managed to establish a foothold in the governing body of one of this planets many countries and had managed to start a major world conflict in a bid to establish himself as eventual ruler of the world. During the final battle Commander Jenkins was supposedly lost in battle with the Morgalon. The Morgalon was eventually captured and the puppet leader he had influenced was eliminated quietly.” She said as she began to pace in the bus stop.

“From my investigations, Commander Jenkins was not killed in the fight with the Morgalon only severely injured. His established cover was infallible to the technology of the time and Commander Jenkins was sent to your countries medical facilities for treatment. The genetic differences between your planets species, Humans and genetically altered Kreg’ar were so small that the medical technologies of the time took him for human. After Commander Jenkins was treated and released he met your grandmother and fathered your father, before his death in another of your planets many conflicts.” The woman stopped her pacing and began to stare at David.

“After Commander Jenkins’s squad returned the captured Morgalon High Lord to Kreg’ar space, the Morgalons returned in force. They had made pacts with dark powers of the universe and had discovered a way to enslave the living beings they encountered on their travels. This part of the story will have to wait for another time, as right now is not the time for a complete history lesson and I am not an Educational Unit, my purpose here now is to bring you up to date on the current situation and to get your orders.” She stated.

“My orders. Ok so what is the current situation and what are your recommendations?” David asked taking a seat at the station.

“Well, per standing protocols we are not allowed to take actions that would cause an underdeveloped society or individual witness our advanced technology, the only exception is in order to take actions to defend said society or individuals from the Morgalons. This is what happened the other night when we had our conversation. Morgalons attacked the hospital ward you were on and we took action to save as many as we could, eliminate the threat and deal with any witnesses.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close