And Baby Makes Three
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2010 by Pedant

I stewed about it for a while. There was so little information. I decided to go home and watch the news. First I told Mona what Weena had said, of course, and then left. I was home before the 11 o'clock news. Which we watched.

There was little more. Willy wasn't identified. Apparently, a vessel had been sighted which didn't respond to requests for identification. A copter had been sent from Broome to ID the ship. The copter reported that it was being fired upon and was going down. Aircraft and navy vessels were en route the scene. The film came back on.

"That's not Ayer's rock, that's Broken Hill," I said.

"Oh. I guess I wasn't paying much attention."

"It's a fine movie. I think it was the first Australian movie to get worldwide notice. Mum liked the novel."

"Oh. There's a contraction." I looked at my watch.

"How long does this go on?"

"Braxton Hicks? Forever. Some women begin in the second trimester. With luck, it'll keep on being well-spaced for another week or so. We'll call the obstetrician when they get to ten minutes apart. Unless something untoward happens."

"Like?"

"Heavy spotting. Bleeding. Water breaking." She looked at me. "Don't fret. I check the pads quite frequently. And I'm in good health. But I do wish he'd stop kicking."

"He wants out. How'd you like to be trapped in a small, damp, dark place?"

"Good point." The TV broke into the film again.

A Hornet out of Tindal had spotted the ship and "debris." It appeared that the pilot had survived. More as information became available.

"That's a relief."

"Yes, I suppose so. I wonder about that vessel."

"What do you mean?"

"If it doesn't respond – fast – and respond appropriately, they'll sink her."

"Sink her? There's another."

"Over twenty minutes. Of course they'll sink her. A hostile vessel that refuses to acknowledge and has fired upon an Australian aircraft? I say drown the bastards!"

"Why are you being so aggressive?"

"Because they've attacked my country!"

The news came on again. A Navy helicopter had taken both crewmembers on board and was on its way to Broome. One of the two "was injured, but the injury is not life-threatening." A Fremantle patrol boat (HMAS Geelong) was on course to intercept and the Hornet was keeping the vessel "under observation."

"Want some lunch? I'll go get sandwich stuff."

"Yes, please. I wish we knew more."

"So do I. Keep watching."

I was back in about twenty minutes.

"Nothing new."

"That may be good. I'll just spread this and get plates, knives, mustard, and mayo out. You go wash up."

"Yes, dear."

I turned up the volume on the TV so that we'd hear whatever was announced. But one passed with only the briefest mention on the news.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close