Gone Fishin'
Chapter 32

Copyright© 2010 by Pedant

"Do you know the folks at SciTech?" I asked Chaz, once he relieved himself of both congratulations and questions.

"Several of them. I was there a few months ago to talk to some groups of middle school students about water problems."

"Could you take time tomorrow to go there with me and introduce me around?"

"Of course I can. You're my boss, after all."

"Ri-i-ght. Well, could you call one or two when you get back to Floreat and set it up? Meet me at my office tomorrow morning and we'll drive there together."

"Wear your medal."

"Really?"

"Some of the upper-level chaps are a bit formal. 'Dr. Hollister' and a PSM will chip at the ice."

"OK. I'll bring it. But I may not put it on."

We went off. Des was in the office when I got there. "You got a call from a Mr. Scott," he said. "He didn't leave a number, but said he'd talk to you later."

"Weena's dad."

"Oh. Not business, I guess."

"No. By the way, I asked Shirl, but I never asked you. What's your study status?"

"This term I'm done with courses. But I don't want to do my doctorate here. I'd like to go to Brisbane, but I don't know where the money will come from."

"Brisbane?"

"Well, I told you I was interested in Coleoptera, but more specifically, I think I'd like to work on Passalidae."

"Bess Beetles." I thought for a moment. "And you thought Brisbane because it's close to the wet tropics. You know there are Popilius along the Darling."

"Really?"

"There's a bloke in Canberra who's interested in them. But you might want to look at UNSW. They've got CERIT there."

"CERIT?"

"Centre for Entomological Research and Insecticide Technology."

"I'm not sure I like the sound of 'Insecticide Technology'."

"They've got a web site. Look them up. Let's talk on Thursday or Friday about possibilities for you."

"That's really good of you."

"I can't just throw you and Shirl on the street, can I?"

Rob's truck was in the drive when I got home. I pulled in parallel to him so that Weena'd have no trouble when she got home.

"You phoned," I said.

"Yes, your young man was quite efficient. I wanted to ask you about a place called Kwinana."

"It's south of here, north of Rockingham. East of route 1 and west of highway 2. We sort of passed by it both coming and going."

"Billiton's got a big nickel refining plant there. The product from up north gets shipped from Port Hedland, but from Kwinana it could go more or less direct. They want me to look over the way the place runs."

"You're working pretty hard for a retired gent!"

"I've got the wool over their eyes. They still think I know something."

"Want a beer?"

So we were sitting out back, each with a long neck.

"Here I'm running my feet off in the hospital and you two lags are boozing!"

"Go change, sweetheart, and I'll get you one."

"I need to be at Billington again tomorrow. I gave my draft report to the pool and need to check it over before delivering it. But the VP seemed happy with my oral summary."

"I'll be over there in East Perth, too." I mentioned. "I'll be at SciTech for a few hours."

"What for?" asked Weena, who had reappeared in t-shirt and jeans.

"If Maggie is right, and I'm going to be managing them, I want to meet them and know what they're like, first. I'm not getting trapped later."

"What do they do?" asked Rob.

"It's an interactive science centre for children up to early teens, their parents and teachers, designed to advance the understanding of science, technology and innovation. They've set up programs to motivate young Western Australians here in Perth, as well as in regional and remote areas of this state. The basic notion is that engaging more young Western Australians in the world of science and technology is vital for our social and economic future."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close