Gone Fishin'
Chapter 23

Copyright© 2010 by Pedant

"What?"

"I want to have a baby."

"I thought you wanted to work for a while."

"I do. I did. But when I saw Rachel. I ... I ... I want to have my own baby. I want us to have a hostage to fate of our own."

"We can do that. There's no problem. You recall, though, it generally takes nearly a year."

"You're not mad?"

"Why should I be mad? I love you. I'll love our baby. Our babies. My parents will be thrilled. Your dad will be thrilled." Weena was crying, but I didn't grab her. We did need to talk. "And you got drunk on Saturday because you could avoid talking." She nodded. "Did you talk to anyone about this?" She shook her head 'no'. "Are you still taking your pills?" She nodded. "OK. Throw them away. I'm not certain how long it takes for your hormones to go back to normal. Do you know?" 'No' again. "Can you ask someone at Royal Perth?" Another nod. "And I

Being your slave, what should I do but tend

Upon the hours and times of your desire?

Did you really think I might say 'no' or 'never' or something?

So true a fool is love that in your will,

Though you do anything, he thinks no ill.

Will you be OK?"

Weena nodded and turned to me. "I'm a silly goose, aren't I?"

"You are 'to my thoughts as food to life.' You weren't sure. So, instead of just sitting down and telling me, you stored it and let it ferment, and got silly, and nearly spoiled Charlie and Maddy's celebration. So, will you call him Frederic or her, Miranda?"

"Now you're the silly one."

"Why not. I'm a fool in love. And you want to be a mother."

So we went upstairs and practiced.


Monday in the office I realized that I needed to visit SciTech at some point in the next week. I also had to think about my 'Dean' Talk' – as I thought of it. And, of course, I needed to call Chaz. I buzzed Des.

"Des."

"Hi. It's Gordy. Can I get you to do some work?"

"I'd say 'no, ' but you pay my munificent stipend. I'll be right in." He was.

"I'm giving a talk in some series the Dean runs."

"And... ?"

"Do you know anything about it?"

"Nope. You want me to find out?"

"Yes. Everything you can. Where it's held, who goes to it, whether folks present with slides or charts or computer projections, and what level the talks are at. Can you do it?"

"I'll try. ASAP, I suppose?"

"Right. And thanks." He left. I called Chaz. He picked up right away.

"Hi, dad."

"How was the wedding?"

"Pretty good. How are your girls?"

"Wonderful. Michiko is healing well, and Rachel sometimes sleeps for three hours at a stretch. The bags under my eyes are developing bags."

"We could go to lunch and then you could come here and nap in my office."

"Really?"

"Really. And I need you to tell me about SciTech."

"I hardly know anything."

"More'n I do. How about that place near you?"

"Sure. How about 11:45?"

"See you then."

I looked at my watch. I'd have to leave in a bit over an hour. I went back to the annual report, but the phone rang.

"Hollister."

"Gordy, this is Janice. Kevin wants to talk to you. But let me ask ... are you in trouble with the military?"

"Me? The military? You're kidding. OK. Here's Kevin."

"Hey, Gordy! How's it going?"

"Pretty good. What's the problem?"

"Do you know a Commander Evans?"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close