Gone Fishin' - Cover

Gone Fishin'

Copyright© 2010 by Pedant

Chapter 8

We went "dress-up" out to dinner. Maddy spent half-an-hour clipping tags and labels and another 15 minutes fixing Charlie's tie. Charlie complained about his new shoes, but that's what new shoes are – just waiting to be broken in.

When we got home, I warned everyone that we had to be out of the house by seven and that everyone should dress "casual" or work style and have a long-sleeved overshirt or jacket.

I had arranged for a cruise down the Swan and south along the coast. "You boys will need to relax tomorrow," said Weena. "We're going to make you so-o-o lucky." I know I was. I didn't ask Charlie.

After early breakfast, we drove to the pier on the Swan and embarked. After an hour on the river and near shore, we headed out several kilometres into the Indian Ocean and then south. We passed Fremantle, then Rockingham.

"I'm going to put in closer," said the captain. "As we come in, you should be able to see seals, sea lions and penguins on the rocks."

"Is he kidding?" asked Maddy.

"Nope," responded Weena. These are breeding grounds. When it's cooler, in July and August, there are whales between here and Albany. We took a cruise once, while I was at school in Perth. They pay no attention to the tour boats at all."

The mate offered binoculars and Maddy began scanning and then ooh-ing and ah-ing. It was near noon and getting warm, though there was a stiff onshore breeze. After a few more minutes the captain announced that we would be putting in in Bunbury, where we could stretch our legs and have lunch. When we moored, I asked the mate whether he had any suggestions. He said, "Vat2, right at Jetty Road. But it's a bit pricey."

I thanked him and we walked down the jetty. The restaurant was nearly empty and we had a really nice lunch. Back at the boat, we just plopped into the chairs. Sea air and full stomachs. We just vegetated as we rode back to Perth. I tipped the captain and mate and drove us home, where everyone showered and then napped.

Weena had thought ahead and taken some hamburgers from the freezer and put them in the fridge before we left, so at around six I began the charcoal, preparing to immolate the meat. Weena made a large salad, and that's what we had for dinner. No one seemed to want more.

"Charlie?" I asked. We were sitting in the yard. The girls were cleaning up.

"Yep?"

"What's the schedule tomorrow?"

"Waal. I've got this appointment at 10:30 at the Consulate. I dunno how long it'll take."

"You'll be out before noon. No bureaucrat's going to cut into his lunch."

"Right."

"Got your questions and your papers straight?"

"I think so. Maddy helped me write 'em down." He sighed. "The most important thing is gettin' my pension put into the bank in Alice Springs every month. Then, whether the US gives a hoot ifn I get hitched here. Then I need to know what to do about taxes. They're due on April 15 in the States. That's pretty much it."

"You got your passport? And your US cheque book and the one from the Alice?"

"Course."

"Well, it shouldn't take long. I can guess at the answers. But you want official ones. So ... I'll drive you in and point out where I'll be when they let you go."

"Sounds like a plan."

We went inside. I told Weena and Maddy what we were going to do in the morning. Weena said she was going to take Maddy in to the Royal Perth, but would only be there a bit, as she was taking both days before the holiday as "bush prep." I nodded but then Weena had to explain what was meant by "bush prep."

We had a good breakfast and Charlie and I drove into the centre of Perth. I parked in an "Authorized Vehicles Only" zone and walked to the Consulate with Charlie. "The Consulate's on the fourth floor,"

I said. "I'll be there, reading." I pointed to a sign reading "Aroma Cafe."

"Right. Wish me luck."

"You don't need luck, just information. They ought to be thrilled. You're not a 'distressed citizen, ' trying to get out of jail."

We both laughed and Charlie pushed the up button on the elevator. I bought a cup of Sumatran coffee and settled down with The Australian Journal of Entomology from last summer – meeting Weena had really put a speed bump into my reading. I was about halfway through an article on thrips by Laurence Mound of the CSIRO when Charlie's voice interrupted.

"Gordy? I need your help. Can you come upstairs?"

"Of course." I shut the journal, picked up my (empty) cup and disposed of it. "What's up?"

"Fella says I need an Australian citizen in 'good standing' as a 'warrantor'. Sounds weird to me."

So we went up in the elevator. The consul (or vice-consul) looked like a pouter pigeon. I shook his limp hand and we sat down in his office.

"Ah. Mr. Hollister..."

"Doctor," I interrupted.

"Ah. Yes. Dr. Hollister. Mr. Grant has told me that he wishes to take up residence in the Northern Territory following a legacy and that he wants his US government monies deposited in a bank in Alice Springs."

"Yes?"

"I envisage no problem, but I require someone of 'standing' and 'good moral character' who is not a part of the US government's presence to warrant that he is doing so willingly."

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close