Diane and the Copper - Cover

Diane and the Copper

Copyright© 2010 by Texrep

Chapter 3

The next day was also a rest day, so I decided to wander down the High Street and check out 'Jacqui R's'. I found it tucked away in one of the side streets, if my memory was correct it used to be the 'Black Lion'. I pushed the door and entered.

Immediately a young man wielding a broom called to me. "We're not open." Being a Copper has certain benefits. I pulled out my Warrant Card and asked him if Jacky was on the premises. I shouldn't have used the Warrant Card, not on personal business, but I was sure that no one would complain.

"Yeah, she's in the back." He didn't ask who was calling, the card was sufficient introduction. A couple of minutes later Jacky came into the bar. The expression on her face was angry until she recognised me.

"Pug!" She flew round the bar and threw herself at me.

"You Bugger. Tom said it was the Police." She stepped back. "Let me look at you. God you're a sight for sore eyes. How long has it been? When did you get back? Oh shit! It's good to see you. Coffee?" Without waiting for any answers to any of the questions she called to Tom, the young man. "Get us a couple of cups of coffee will you Tom? Oh and Tom, he may be a copper but first of all he is my friend, yeah I know some really disreputable people, he comes in whenever he wants. Ok?"

We did the catch up bit, and as usual with Jacky it was the dirt that she recounted, who was doing what, which way and with whom. She got enough of my history to be going on with, and then quietly told me.

"Diane's in trouble, Pug. Terry is chasing tarts all over the place. He even had the gall to bring one in here. I put a stop to that, bloody quick too. There's something else as well, but I can't get to the bottom of it. She needs you Pug. You're the only one who can put her life back together." I didn't say anything, I was sure that Diane hadn't told her I was back in Sutton, I needed confirmation that Terry was cheating, and that Diane saw me as the man she wanted in her life. Jacky's next comment said it all. "She always liked you, Pug. She was always dragging us to places she thought you would be. You didn't see it though. Fine bloody copper you are! You couldn't see the clues that were staring you in the face." I could remember that. Diane was always around, but I thought she was with a bloke.

Jacky explained. "Well she couldn't just hang around waiting to see if you would talk to her, could she? You would only talk to her briefly, much to her disappointment. However there was always some lad who would try to chat her up. I got lucky only because I was with Diane. Story of my life, getting the cast offs!" I turned the conversation back to Terry.

"Are you sure he is cheating?"

"Positive. I know Harry, the governor at the 'Bell'. According to him Terry's in there two or three times a week, always with some tart or other. The silly bastard does little to cover his tracks; he's so arrogant that he believes that his shit doesn't smell. I wouldn't be surprised if Harry doesn't have them snogging on CCTV tape." Jacky always did have a way with words, usually coarse. I nodded.

The reason I was asking was not to gather evidence for Diane. In the UK, under a government that relegated the married state to a minor inconvenience, divorce was easy. You ask for one, and you get it. You don't even have to go to a Solicitor; you can fill in all the forms on-line. All I wanted was confirmation that Terry was cheating. Now I knew that I wouldn't be helping to break a marriage. It would appear that Terry had done that already. Jacky was set to play Cupid.

"Shall I get Diane here one day, and then you can surprise her. She will be so happy to see you."

"Too late, Jacky. I had lunch with Diane yesterday." Jacky punched me on the arm.

"You bastard!" She was grinning as she called me names. "So you know all about it already?"

I shook my head. "Diane mentioned it, but I needed a bit more background. You have given me that. I agree with you though. There is something else that she is holding back. I mentioned divorce as a solution. Under the circumstances she should divorce him, but she prevaricated and said that there were other considerations." Jacky nodded.

"Yes that's the impression I got." My copper's hat was on. What hold did Terry have over Diane that would prevent her divorcing him? His infidelity would appear to be blatant, so what was stopping her?

I arrived at the Nick on the Saturday starting at three p.m., the late shift. The notice board in the Locker room was plastered with 'post it' notes congratulating Inspector Anderson on 'pulling'. Most of them were amusing, some quite witty but suggestive. There were a couple on my desk as well. One told me that good looking women were the cause of many R.T.A.'s and accidents that take nine months to happen as well. The other was from my Superintendent. 'See me, please."

He called "Come in" to my knock. He grinned at me as I came in.

"From all the gossip, Andy. You haven't wasted any time."

I smiled with him. "Just an old friend, John."

"From what has been said, not so old a friend. Is there anything happening?"

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close