Betrayal - Cover

Betrayal

Copyright© 2010 by Michael Wolfam

Chapter 75

"Holy crap, are you alright?" Finn raced over to Liv's side as soon as the SUV roared past them.

"Yeah, just a bit scraped up. I felt the wind on that one," she said ruefully. "I guess he got away, huh?"

"Not yet, he hasn't. We can chase after him in Rokee. That SUV he's driving has nothing on us."

"Okay." Liv took a deep breath. "Let's go get the bastard." Liv took Finn's outstretched hand and let him help her up. They were limping toward the Jeep when a figure sprinted past them.

"That looked kinda like your Grannie," Finn commented.

"Yeah ... Didn't realize she could still move that fast. Come on. We better make sure she doesn't get into any trouble," Liv said.

They stepped through the ruined garage door and were greeted with a strange sight.

"Your Grannie has an RPG," Finn stage whispered to Liv.

"I can see that," Liv stage whispered back, as Grannie lifted the tube to her shoulder and popped the site up.

"You want me to do that, Mrs. Driscoll?" Finn said chivalrously.

"Hell no, young man. That asshole killed my son, tried to kill my only granddaughter and, burned down my damn house. He's mine," she said with determination.

Not knowing what else to do, Liv and Finn stood on each side of her, watching as she tracked the black SUV that was snaking its way down the switchbacks. "Cover your ears, kids." Grannie pulled the trigger and the rocket streaked from the tube.

Her aim was true. The projectile hit the driver's window dead center, and exploded on impact, blowing out the heavy duty glass. Fire and shards of hot metal filled the Mercedes, killing Mitch instantly. His lifeless foot floored the accelerator, and the driverless vehicle surged forward. The Mercedes lost traction as it drove over the edge of the shelf road. The flaming fireball rolled end over end, all the way to the bottom of the slope.

Liv and Finn shielded their eyes from the glare of the rocket motor. When they were able to see again, the Mercedes was rolling down the slope like a giant, flaming snowball. They turned and stared as Grannie walked over to them.

"What are you two young un's looking at? Back in my day, we only got one shot. If we didn't kill something with it, we went hungry."

"That's not true. You grew up in New York City." Liv laughed. "Hey, Grannie, you think RPGs comes in pink? Cause I would really like one for Christmas, if it comes in pink," Liv said with a deadpan face.

"Come on, smartass, get me back to town in time for my afternoon soaps, and I'll whip you up some pecan pie over at Stephen's." Grannie dropped the spent RPG tube on the ground

"Y'know, overall it's been a pretty good day." Liv winced in pain as she reached up to hug her Grannie and Finn. Her shoulder hurt from the bullet wound, her body ached from the lack of sleep and the ordeal she had just been through, but she felt elated. "I got my Grannie back, found my dad ... Okay that was good and bad. But Finn owes me a Playstation and there's pecan pie in my future!"

"Hey, you know I was just kidding about that Playstation, right?" Finn joked. "I didn't think any of us were going to make it out of that garage alive!"

"You better get me a Playstation, or I'll find another log!" Liv threatened as she playfully grabbed Finn around the neck.

"What were you doing with logs, young lady, and how did you get all the way up here, anyway?"

"It's a long story, Grannie. I'll tell you all about it on the way down. Oh hey, did I tell you I got a new car?"

"Did you name it?"

"Yep."

"That's my girl. Now, let's go get some pie."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close