Betrayal
Chapter 61

Copyright© 2010 by Michael Wolfam

The SRT-8 flew down the snow-covered trail, re-tracing the path it had carved in the powder. "We've got company," Finn warned as he tried to focus on the pursuing snowmobile, which was rapidly closing the gap behind them.

"He's pretty fabulous looking," Liv commented, noticing the bright red scarf wrapped around his neck.

"I can't get a good bead on him. We're too bouncy, and he's weaving too much," Finn said as he desperately tried to track the white snowmobile. In the camera, he could almost make out the man's facial features. This was getting old. Why couldn't the bad guys be driving something easy to shoot at.

Vlad smiled. The chase was exhilarating. The snowmobile's engine screamed, as he worked to line up the perfect angle of attack. The black vehicle was trapped. There was nowhere for it to go. The path was lined on both sides by steep, tree-covered slopes. There was nowhere to go but straight ahead. A lazy stream of tracers reached out toward him, but he easily dodged by pulling to the right and increasing speed. He reached down and fished out his secret weapon.

After looking over the photos of the vehicle, Vlad had devised a plan to kill the monster.

Seeing the machine had brought to mind a story his grandfather told over and over again about his days in combat against the Germans in World War II. Nazi Panzers had been decimating the Russian forces, and none of the Russian weapons were making a dent in the German armor.

The only weapons that had a chance of breaking the tough, iron hides were their hand grenades, but they just bounced off the sides of the tanks. Somewhere along the line, a mechanic came up with a brilliant solution. They would stuff grenades in a sock, then dip the sock in axle grease to create a sticky bomb. The sticky bombs would attach to the side of a tank and cause extensive damage. Vlad had created a modern day equivalent, using duct tape, and a high explosive grenade.


"He's got something in his hand, and he's coming right for us!" Finn warned. The twins rattled and brass clattered off the roof as he tried to get one last shot off. "I can't see him anymore," he said frantically. "Oh shit, he's dropping back and there's nothing in his hand anymore!"

"f$%k, what side was he on?"

"Yours!"

"Shit." Liv took a deep breath. "Sorry, Rokee. Nothing personal, baby."

Vlad let go of the throttle and pulled his snowmobile behind an ice-encrusted boulder. He peeked around the edge and glimpsed the silver sticky bomb that was firmly attached to the armor, just above the rear wheel on the driver's side. Even if the blast didn't kill the occupants, the vehicle would surely be crippled.

"I hope at least one of you little shits lives through the blast," Vlad muttered as he felt for the hunting knife strapped to his thigh. "It's been far too long since your steel tasted flesh, my friend." He savored the thought and began counting down.


The moment she saw the trunk of the enormous pine tree, Liv cranked the steering wheel sharply to the left. The Jeep responded instantly and tilted dangerously as it entered the turn at high speed. She barely missed slamming the driver's side camera against the bark. The rear end was not so fortunate. A loud bang reverberated through the cab as the rear armor collided with the sturdy tree. Liv never let off the gas. The grating of armor scraping along bark was unbearable and sounded like fingernails against a metal chalkboard.

Finn focused the gun camera on the scraped up tree. The ride was jarring as the MATTRACKS clawed at the uneven slope. He could barely make out the silver package attached to the trunk of the unfortunate tree. The explosion tossed the SRT-8 about as the shockwave and splinters pelted the armor. In his monitor, Finn watched the tree, sway and fall, effectively blocking the path behind them. "Where'd that snowmobile go?" he wondered aloud.


As soon as the splinters and rocks stopped raining down on him, Vlad gunned the snowmobile's engine and raced over to claim his kill. Instead of a smoldering vehicle, he discovered a tree, with a large portion of its trunk missing, crashing to the ground. He grit his teeth and revved the motor. Vlad maneuvered around the fallen tree and followed the unmistakable tracks left by the black iron monster. They would not be so lucky a second time.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close