Songbirds
Chapter 7

Copyright© 2010 by Jay Cantrell

Melissa and I talked once or twice during the remainder of the week. But it wasn't the laughing, intimate conversations we had shared in the past. We chatted about mundane things and trivialities.

Finally, it was Friday and Greg called me early in the morning.

"We'll get to the arena about noon," he said. "We'll do a sound check and then head out for supper. You want to meet us and go to the show with us?"

I thought about it for a few moments.

"How long have you been on tour?" I asked. I'm sure Greg thought it was a random question.

"Uh, about three months," he answered. "Why?"

"I was just wondering when the last time you three had a home-cooked meal," I said. "How about I meet you folks at the arena and you come back here and I'll cook for you."

"No shit?" Greg said. "Any chance you have your mom's mashed potato recipe."

I laughed out loud.

"I have it," I said. "I can throw some steaks on the grill, make some mashed potatoes and we'll have corn on the cob. Does that sound like a plan?"

I heard Greg talking to the others. Suddenly Carrie's voice was on the phone.

"If you make your Mom's mashed potatoes, I'll love you forever," she said.

"Hey, you promised to love me forever once before," I replied "What happened to that? Is forever over?"

"OK, you caught me," she said. "I lied before. I really only loved you for 10 or 15 minutes that time. But this time, I promise, forever."

"Or until dessert," I added.

"Hey, yeah, don't forget dessert," Carrie said. "I'll bring dessert. Vanilla ice cream. That would just be perfect."

I heard Greg and Carrie struggling for the phone.

Carrie won.

"Is your girlfriend coming to dinner?" she asked in a sing-song voice.

"No," I answered. "I told you she wasn't my girlfriend. She confirmed that a few days ago."

Carrie was silent and I heard Greg pry the phone from her hands.

"Sorry, man," he said.

"Nothing to be sorry about," I replied. "We both know it's happened before. There is a high probability it will happen again."

"Uh, OK," Greg said. "I'm not sure what you and Carrie were talking about. I'm sorry she grabbed the phone."

"Oh," I answered. "So, what time is good for you? And will it be the three of you or just two?"

"All three," he said. "I mean, if that's OK."

"It's fine," I said. "I'm really looking forward to seeing you all."

"Can you meet us at the Fleet Center at 2:30?" he asked. "Make sure you bring an ID and I'll tell them to let you in."

I was getting ready to leave the house to pick up groceries when Melissa called.

"Are we driving together or separately?" she asked.

"What would you prefer?" I said.

"Together," she replied. "I mean it'll be easier. Do you want to go to dinner first?"

I was stuck. I wasn't sure if Greg, Kellie and Carrie were planning to ride back with me. I assumed since I was picking them up, they would need a ride back.

"I'm having some friends over for dinner beforehand," I said. "We're all going into the city together. They need to be there sort of early, so you can eat with us here if you want."

There was a definite sadness in Melissa's voice when she answered.

"I think I'll just drive in alone," she said.

"If that's what you want to do," I replied. "I'll meet you at the will call window about 7. Call my cell if you go in ahead of me so I don't wait for you."

"Fine," she answered tersely. "I'll see you at seven."


It was a little before noon when Greg called back.

"Man, this place is an acoustical nightmare," he said. "We're not going to be done in time to come out for dinner. Is that a huge problem?"

I hadn't started to cook so it was no problem at all.

"Nah," I said. "I've got the steaks in marinade but that's all. I'll drop them in a baggy and we can have them tomorrow if you're free. Otherwise, I'll eat them this week."

"Tomorrow is a definite as long as it doesn't put you out," he said. "This place is really like a cavern. We are getting weird echoes all over the place."

"Hey, it's not called the Enema Center for nothing," I joked. "You're music is probably just bouncing off the bowels."

"Oh, yuck," he said. "Is that what it's named for? I thought it was a bank or something."

"It probably is," I replied. "It's probably just a coincidence that there is an enema brand with the same name."

I called Melissa back to see if she wanted to change plans. She alternated between sad and mad.

"So, I'm second choice now?" she asked irritably when I told her I was free because my friends were stuck in the city.

"I invited you out the first time," I insisted. "You weren't second choice. Hell, I had only finished making dinner plans 10 minutes before I talked to you. You're the one who said you wanted to go in by yourself. Am I supposed to beg you now? What the fuck?"

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close