El of a Thing
Chapter 18

Copyright© 2010 by Ol'Mac

FRIDAY 5:55 P. M. CST Eighty Miles South of Amman, Jordan


As the wave of power that had swept up the three Families passed over the Globe, it did not go unnoticed. Like in the ruins far underneath the Temple of Malta, located eighty miles south of present day Amman, Jordan. Where the Jinn Ibin La'Bahazi from under the Seal of Solomon, screamed out, "Can't a being get ANY sleep around here!!!" Then muttered, "Where's that damn snooze button?"


In the providence of Pashmurga, India, the Thugee Goddess Kali snapped her head up as the wave passed and then began putting her implements down. As all six hands came to rest on the delicate chin, she sat in lotus, pondering the meaning of this event and looking like a septuplet Rodin's Thinker.


In Koyoto, Japan, the Cat Demon Asaki Kimoroto was interrupted while beginning his final move to place the very slippery Banana peel under the Lord Mayor's foot. "By my ancestors claws!" came his startled shout, "What in all the worlds, was that?" Then, with both tail tips twitching, he opened himself to track this new thing. His trace finally led to the new place, "Ameriga or something like that." He then purred, "Oh, this could be fun." Summoning his travel bundle and feather vessel, he tossed a farewell over his shoulder, "Bye Mom. I'm headed for the new kid's place to play, back in a bit."

FRIDAY 7:00 P. M. News Stand, Chicago, IL


As Mike returned to the stand, he pondered over the things that he had just seen.

He had gone ahead and completed the orientation visit to the former Demon Realm. What he had found there still rocked the core of his soul.

Within an hour of finding themselves marooned; the three Families had set up an impromptu Pecking Order. They had even gone so far as to set up a servant class. It amazed Mike that this was their priority, but what the heck, it was their society now. While explaining the functions of the mini-ports he had done a more in depth scan on the Young Adults, hoping against hope, that he had missed some spark within one or two. He had come up empty on all of them; which also described them to a 'T'. While heading back through the portal the same prayer had escaped once again, from his lips, "Oh God, please let this be the last time. How can reasoning beings become such animals?"

Arriving at the stand he thought he should contact Lisa and see how she was holding up, after all, she had been through one heck of a sea change over the last few days. Using his Mage Comm, Mike reached out and made contact. The answer coming back not only slightly shocked him, but triggered a laughing fit that almost choked him to death.

'Hi, you've reached Lisa. If this is a world shattering event; leave a message after the beep. Anything other than that can just wait. Because I've got a ... Hot ... Hot ... Hot date and I'm not breaking it for anything less than an 'Extinction Level Event'. I should be back to the Realm of Men by tomorrow. I did mention that the date was 'HOT', right? Now wait for the beep.'

Just before the leave message here beep sounded, Mike could have sworn he'd heard the first bars of "Fools Rush In" being hummed. Still chuckling, Mike thought, 'Well, looks like a quick refresher in Voice Mail Message Editing couldn't hurt a thing.'

As this thought ended, Mike heard Ella in his head, saying, 'Hey Boss, stick around a sec. Got someone you need to meet.'

Mike sent back, 'Sure kiddo. You're not eloping, are you?'

'Good grief you geezer, give me a break here, will ya, ' Ella responded with a chuckle.

About ten seconds later Ella walked around the corner with an almost Elfin brunette beauty by her side. As they came up to Mike, Ella said, "Hey Mike, figured it was about time you met one of my best friends, Tina. Then turning her head, Ella said, "Tina, this is Mike." Seeing the question in her friends eyes, she added, "Yes, he's the one."

At this, Tina's head snapped up and she make a grab for Mike's waist. For such a small girl she had a hug that rivaled Ella's for rib cracking power. As she came up for breath, Mike distinctly heard her whisper, "Thank you for saving my friend."

Mike whispered back, "You're welcome, Dear." Then said, "Um, could I have my ribs back now?" Which, of course, triggered a giggle fit. When this slowed down a bit, Mike asked, "Hey, what are you guys doing down this way anyhow?"

Ella responded with, "Brought her down to see Angelo's and meet you if possible."

What she sent by tight beam, was, 'Mike, I think she might be a latent.'

Responding to Ella's verbal display, Mike said, "Well, we might as well give you the whole nickel tour then. Hang on a sec." Mike then hung the Closed sign and escorted his ladies to the delivery door. Holding the door open, he bowed Tina through while keeping an eye on his wards at the same time. They lit up like a neon Christmas Tree as she passed under and Ella broke out in an ear to ear grin. Mike just grinned back while winking at his little Mage Rustler, thinking, 'Damn, that girl is great at this stuff.'

Mike then walked through calling out, "Hey Angelo, we've an empty in need of some of your magic."

Marga and Angelo both stuck their heads out of the break room at this, and Angelo said, "Hey, Buenavida Chicas." Then turning to Marga, he whispered, "Leche, Mi Corazone. Por favor."

As Angelo passed Mike on the way to the fresh ones rack, he whispered, "Told you amigo, cucarachas breed way slower. Mage Central, for sure."

Mike just grinned back while making a copy of Agent Altman's pin, but with POSSE 0132 on the face.

As everyone settled in with Bolos and milk, Mike asked Ella, "So, did you initiate Tina into the Posse yet?"

Playing along, Ella responded wide eyed, "Gosh no, Mike. I figured you'd want to do that."

"Well, you were right, I do." Then getting a bit more serious look on his face, he turned to Tina and said, "Tina Samuelson, do you promise to abide by the one rule of the Posse? 'We stand with each other'."

Getting the yes nod, he then pulled her pin from his pocket and said, "This is your badge of office, do not lose it and carry it with you at all times." While pinning it to her coat lapel. "Congratulations, Tina. Welcome to the Family."

At this, Ella grabbed her friend in a bear hug while whispering, "Welcome, posse member."

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close