El of a Thing - Cover

El of a Thing

Copyright© 2010 by Ol'Mac

Chapter 10

MONDAY 12:45 P. M. FBI Surveillance Point Alpha, Chicago, IL


Collins had always hated stake-outs. He was more of a Hunter type and simply loved the chase and stalk. Altman, on the other hand, could do either. But this one was beginning to wear, even on her.

"Hey partner, could you go for a snack?" she asked Collins.

"Yeah, actually I could. How about some of those bakery pastries and coffee. Those really were excellent," he responded, "Hate to admit it, but Kilian hit the bull's-eye with his Crankcase comment. This stuff we've been sipping on is supposed to be great and it tastes like crap."

"Tell me about it," Lisa replied, "Want anything else while I'm out there?"

"Sure. Long as you're by the news stand, pick me up a new copy of War and Peace, feels like this is going to be a long one." He quipped, "OK, ok, I'm kidding. See if they have the Afternoon Edition of the Sun Times out yet. The personals are always good for a laugh."

"Personals, right ... back in a bit." She tossed back.


Walking into the bakery, she ordered a bakers dozen Bolos and a carafe of Margarethe's love to go. On exiting, she heard her name called and turning, saw Mike who waved her over to the stand.

"Hey Agent Altman, how's the case going?" Mike asked.

"Well, Mr. Kilian, officially, I can't discuss an on-going case with a civilian. Unofficially, nothing yet, but it's still the early phase on this one," replied Altman, "Do you folks have the Sun Times Afternoon Edition out yet?"

"Sure do. Let's duck inside the hut, no sense in freezing our butts off out here," Mike said. Once inside, Mike grabbed the afternoon edition and pinning the badge to the front page, folded it up. He then handed it to Altman while saying, "Hey, check out that headline Agent."

Opening the paper, Altman was stunned by the beauty of the pin laying there. Then protocol took over, "Mr. Kilian, though I do thank you for the thought, I still can't receive gifts from the public. It goes against the very foundations of what make us the FBI."

"I know you can't accept gifts Agent, so pay me extra for the paper. Look, you guys do a thankless job, day in and day out. All the folks in the neighborhood got together and chipped in for this as a little thank you, that's all. Besides, the price is a heck of a deal," Mike replied with a chuckle, "Look at the back."

Seeing the inscription was the last straw and Altman's reserve faded away like fog in strong sunshine.

Mike said with a grin, "Oh, by the way, this is in no way a bribe. If evidence leads to anyone in the neighborhood coming under investigation; you guys pull out all the stops, got it? All of them were told this going in and they all still contributed. You guys must be doing something right. They think you're the best there is."

"OK, but I insist on paying a fair price for this." Altman stated.

"Agent, you will never have enough money in your lifetime to pay a fair price for that, but we'll settle for a nickel. Which, by the way, brings your total to one dollar and eighty cents," the chuckle responded. "Oh, and don't forget that you have my cell. Seriously, give a call if anything comes up."

Walking back to the stakeout Altman shook her head in disbelief at what had just transpired. 'Lord God, is that guy one heck of a salesman, ' she thought.

MONDAY 2:45 P. M. Downtown, Chicago, IL


Max Aldmen was Homeland Security's ultimate go-to guy. He and his traveling circus were the locusts that the department let loose on ... real problem spots. With Agent Martin's assassination, Chicago had just become the agency's number one problem spot. The unspoken orders were very clear, 'Find something, or someone. We don't care what, or who.' Aldmen intended to carry out those un-orders to the letter and he didn't care how many heads he had to take out to do it.

Knowing that the trigger phone was going to turn out to be a one-use, throw-away. He set Anders and Sanderson on the forensic trail. All explosives had chemical tags - even home-made ones - and the type used here would have them also.

In the meantime, he and the rest of the crew got very busy getting in everyone's face. He kept thinking, 'Turn every rock and sooner or later there would be the bug we are hunting.'

Surprisingly, it only took two heads before the information started flowing. Some assistant DA and a second assistant to the Mayors office. These two were under the mistaken impression that their connections in the Chicago Machine would somehow protect them. Of course, they would both have lots of time to ponder where they had gone wrong with that assumption.

Cuba was lovely this time of year.

By the time Aldmen and company hit the Chicago Police department, information was miraculously flowing like flood waters on the Nile.

MONDAY 3:45 P. M. News Stand, Chicago, IL


To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close