El of a Thing
Chapter 7

Copyright© 2010 by Ol'Mac

FRIDAY 10:25 A. M. Nexus Portal, Chicago, IL


Mazal had finally won the right to lead the group through the expedient of age. Being the oldest brother had to count for something and obviously, it had. Polite arguments could have gone on forever, he felt. 'Pride - although in essence a good foundation - could be a real pain in the back end, when progress was the goal, ' the thought passed through his mind.

Before setting out from Elfrealm Vankell he'd had the foresight to access the relevant knowledge base in the crystal archives. This knowledge should still be applicable, after all, how much could the world of humans have changed in only seven hundred of their years? Besides, humans were animals. His Clan had proven it time and again.

The saying Pride goes before a Fall is a fairly old one, and in most cases, fairly accurate also. Because pride, normally will not allow the one bearing it, to notice inconvenient details. Like the fact that every datum you were working from was dead wrong and completely out of date.

Commanding their steeds to await their return. The four linked their realm to the Nexus and proceeded to open the portal. They were greeted by more Death Metal than any of the four ever imagined could exist. Stymied, the four brothers sought a way around this barrier, only to have it moved from the other side by something they knew could not be real... A Blue Dragon.

'Greetings, My Lords. Welcome to the realm of men. Oh here, let me get that thing out of your way, ' Puff sent, while lifting the manhole cover aside and extending a claw-retracted paw to help their exit.

Recalling his Lord's command for recognizance, Mazal replied, "Our thanks to you, mighty one. We seek knowledge of the realm of men. Too many years have we been separate, and would now discourse freely."

'Certainly, My Lord, let me summon the Coordinator and see about getting you transferred to Elfrealm Lake's Edge. I can see by your life radiance, that it has been too many years since you were exposed to this level of Death Metal, ' Puff sent, then called to Mike on a private channel, 'Hey sport, we have company!'

At this insult to their abilities, the youngest, Aseal, was about to morph his ring into sword form and teach this thing a lesson. However, he was bid halt by the eldest as this would uncover them as Clan Feadh-Ree, sending privately, 'Our Lord commanded recognizance. Let us use this cover while it exists.'

After meeting with Mike. It was decided to guide this group to Lake's Edge and Mike contacted Elnore to set up transport. Upon arrival they were given the hospitality of Lake's Edge hold and then Elnore met privately with Mike.

"Michael these new arrivals are some of our long lost cousins, but I still feel the reek of the past on them. If they still hold the same attitude they cherished when last we met, they could bear you and yours much ill will," stated Elnore.

"I know. I've read the legends and know them as, Dark Ones, although I don't know where the term originated from," Mike replied, then added with a grin, "We'll keep an eye on them, but after all, Puff says their tight beam comm operates on ancient code patterns and leaks like a sieve. They might as well be broadcasting."

"I can tell you where the term came from. It originated from the one question that divided our folk, Are humans animals, or not?. My folk's answer was, No; their folk's answer was, Yes. If that attitude is still the basis of their world view, then they could be an implacable enemy indeed," Elnore said, "do not take them lightly ... and by all means never underestimate them. They can turn deadly in less than a heartbeat."

"All right, granted that they could be nasty characters. But you have to admit they have never run into a human Master Level Mage yet not to mention Puff's breed," Mike returned.

"Please Michael. You know I have never begged for anything, but I'm begging you here. Do not on your life, or the lives of those you love, underestimate these ones. They will kill without the slightest hesitation ... and not all those you love, wear shields," came Elnore's solemn response.

"All right, I get the point. It will be -shields at maximum and impulse engines only- until further notice," Mike said, with what sounded like a wise cracking tone. But still had the hint of the caution Elnore was waiting to hear.

FRIDAY 11:30 A. M. News Stand at Wabash and E. Van Buren St., Chicago, IL


Not ten minutes after Mike returned to the stand. The FBI decided to pay their first call.

Feeling more than ever like Mulder and Scully when they thought back on their briefing for this assignment, Agents Dan Collins and Lisa Altman stepped from the vehicle and approached Mike.

Dan said, "Mr. Michael Kilian?" After an affirmative to this query, he continued with, "Mr. Kilian, I'm Special Agent Collins and this is my partner, Special Agent Altman. Could we have a few minutes of your time? We're canvassing the area in an ongoing investigation."

"Sure guys. Hang on just a sec," Mike replied, then turning to his Dad, said, "Hey Dad, I need to help these folks out and figure to do it at Angelo's. Can I bring you anything back?"

"Sure son, there's still plenty of time before noon. That way I won't get yelled at by your Mom for spoiling my lunch," replied, Gordon Kilian, then added while winking at the agents, "That's something you only want to encounter, once in your lifetime."

This actually got a smile from Altman.

Leading the two through Angelo's delivery door, Mike yelled, "Hey Angelo. I need to borrow your break room for a bit, OK?"

"Sure compadre. There's hot stuff on the top rack if you want some," came the reply.

At this, Mike's eyes lit up and in a conspiratorial whisper, he said to the Agents, "You have got to try these. They just don't get any better and this is the only place in the City you can get them. Try Margarethe's coffee too, but I'll give you fair warning. It will make any other coffee you drink after this taste like, crankcase drippings. No joke."

After all three were settled in with Bolos and mugs of Ambrosia, Mike said, "OK Agents, how can we help you today?"

"Well," said Collins, "we were wondering if you'd recently seen anything unusual in the neighborhood?"

"Guess that depends on your definition of Unusual, " Mike replied, then said, "The Sun Times was about fifteen minutes late for delivery this morning ... and I've never seen those guys be late in the twenty plus years my Pop has run the stand." Seeing the looks this roused, he added, "Look Agents, I'm not trying to be a smart guy here, or compromise your investigation. But I don't know how you could have asked a vaguer question. If you want a specific answer, you have to ask a real question. OK?"

This looked like it had brought the Agent's tempers back under control and even produced a bit of chagrin on Altman's face.

Before Collins could get revved up with the official line of BS, Altman jumped in with, "Look, Mr. Kilian, this is hard enough trying to canvass for what we were sent out to find. Especially after all the years that the X-Files were on TV. But the fact remains, that we were asked to canvass the area for any hint of paranormal activity," this last said with an undertone of a sigh.

"Wow. I don't envy you guys at all." Mike said, then a thoughtful look crossed his face, "Wait a second. Angelo did mention something about six months back. Hang on." Sticking his head out the break room door he shouted, "Hey Angelo, was that spook point you felt on this side a Lasalle Station or the far side?"

"This side compadre, just after the stairway leading to the El platform." Angelo yelled back

"Hum," Mike mused, "That would have been about six to six and half months ago." Then asked the Agents, "Did whoever sent you guys on the goose chase, limit your area of operations? Would Lasalle St. still count as a hit? Angelo's always been really insensitive, so if he said he felt something, it had to be huge."

"Oh, and don't even get Margarethe going. She'll bend your ears for hours on the care and feeding of The Little Folk," Mike said with a wink, "She still sets out saucers of milk for them and the area stray cats, think of this place as Salvation Army Central. But we'll never tell her. Let her keep on thinking what makes her smile. Besides, when Mama's happy; everyone is happy."

He saw Collins give Altman the arch, 'We're Done', look and then Collins said, "Thanks much for your cooperation Mr. Kilian, I believe we have plenty to go on here." Then pulling a card from his folder, he added, "If you think of anything else, or anything happens. Give us a call."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close