El of a Thing
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2010 by Ol'Mac

THURSDAY Feb 15 6:00 A. M. Apartment of Alice Latham, Chicago, IL


Alice awoke in her own bed thinking, 'That was the craziest dream I've ever had'.

Then padding toward the kitchen to put on coffee she noticed something in her armchair. Stepping closer, that something turned out to be a sleeping Rick. With his jacket draped over the back of her recliner and his service weapon in hand.

Alice found her hand in front of her mouth once again and that was the moment the dreams became slightly less distorted memory. 'He really did rescue me, ' Alice thought, 'Then stayed the night in my chair watching over me. Oh God, how did I get this lucky?'

That was also the moment that Alice Latham ceased to exist and Alice Fields was truly born, as she gave the final ounce of her heart and soul to this man. 'He doesn't make me, feel safe. He, makes me safe, ' Alice thought, as she headed for the kitchen once again.

A few moments later she stepped back into the living room and called, "Good morning, Love. Want some coffee sleepyhead?"

At this, both Rick's eyes flew open and he practically levitated off the chair. About five seconds later he actually became conscious, and muttered, "Oh Lord, I didn't mean to stay all night, Dear. Sorry, I must have fallen asleep."

"You saved my life last night. That certainly deserves a bit more than a night in my chair. Come on, Love, I've Margarehte's best in here," Alice replied.

"Yum, thought I recognized that smell," Rick responded with a yawn, while heading for the kitchen. He was greeted with a mug of Margarehte's love and after a health sip, with a warm kiss.

After the first few sips. He was beginning to feel decidedly more human, when something that had been playing at the back of his brain finally broke through. He blurted out, "Your ring."

"What? What about my ring?" came Alice's query."

"No normal person will be able to see the mounting. I had completely forgotten. Put it on the table Dear. I'll duplicate it and move the stone to the one I've made. That way normal folk will be able to see it." Rick said.

"What? How could they not see this? It's gorgeous," Alice replied."

It's made by Faery Magic by Faery Folk. That kind of item just can't be seen by normal folks. We're both Mages and see it automatically, so we don't count. You don't believe everyone sees this abomination on my hand, do you?" Rick responded, while wiggling his finger.

"Well, I wasn't going to say a thing, Love. It could have been a sentimental family piece to you," said Alice with a grin.

When the chuckling subsided a bit, Rick responded, "Well, I suppose in a way it is. But not because I'm fond of its ring form. I'm much more partial to this form."

Sending the Sword Form command. One second later Rick held a four-foot long gleaming silver blade in his hand. As Alice reached to touch it, Rick jerked it back while yelping, "No Dear, don't! This thing will take your finger off like a whisper. I nearly lost my thumb the first night I had it. Think of it as a Monomolecular Diamond blade and you'll be close to how sharp it really is. This is the blade of Prince Elnore and he asked me to carry it a while. But truthfully, Stan and I just think of it as, The Abominable Ring."

"It's a beautiful sword Love. But as a ring. God, it's hideous," shuddered Alice.

"Yeah. It's Elven Art. You just have to love it," came the laughing reply as he sent the Ring Form command.

"Now, let's see about making a copy of your ring mount that folks can actually see. Otherwise, all they'll see is a red stone floating above your finger and might think it a bit strange. I think we got away with it at Gino's just because everyone was so busy celebrating."

This image brought on a tiny giggle-fit as Alice laid her ring on the table. After Rick had duplicated her ring mount, he said, "Look inside the band." Glancing at that spot Alice saw the inscription To, My Heart.

This was almost enough to set off a very impromptu pre-wedding-night consummation. But they both knew they'd be way late for work, if they made it in at all. It did however, earn Rick a look that promised hours of mind-bending payback. His eyes just smiled back at the light of his life.

"Oh. If anyone should recognize what the stone really is. Just tell them it's a fifth, or sixth generation Fields family heirloom. The stone cutting style is certainly not American Standard Brilliant." Rick said with a wince, "I'm so sorry to make you start keeping secrets, Dear. But, I will not see your life endangered over an engagement ring."

Alice chuckled, "As if we don't already have a huge secret, My Love."

After he had dropped Alice at City Hall. Rick swung by the station house to pick up Stan.

THURSDAY Feb, 15 7:00 A. M. News Stand at E. Van Buren and Wabash


Mike was thinking that today would be the perfect day to send the Demon Buster bombs and put one more Mage call through to Ella.

They discussed blast zones and radial damage estimates. All the while Mike kept wanting to up the tonnage of the Busters, but he still wasn't willing to risk any collateral damage except in the intended target zone. He informed Ella that the tentative detonation time was set for five P.M. this evening and the after party was at Angelo's. 'This looks to be a historic event, Dear, so don't miss out. You can bet there will never be another like it in our lifetimes, ' sent Mike, 'Should be a heck of a party too.'

'OK, Boss. I'll bring the popcorn, ' came the teen reply.

After breaking contact with Ella. He put through a conference call to the other Faery Lords informing them of the blast off hour and the after party. At that point a venue change for the party was suggested. The empty warehouse that Latham's group had run to, was still empty and Lord alone knew how many folks would be showing up for the party.

Mike quickly updated Ella on this change in plans.

As the call was ending, Mike tight beamed to Galden, 'A moment of your time, Galden, if I may?'

'Of course, My Lord, ' came the response.

'Galden I am concerned about collateral damage in your realm more than any other. It looks to be right next door to the Demon realm, ' Mike sent.

'My Lord, do not worry over such, ' sent Galden, along with a holograph-like still image of the five worlds. 'You are used to viewing the five worlds like this. But the reality, is this, ' he sent as the image shifted to a three-dimensional view. 'My Lord, all of the five worlds are distinct and separate universes. The only actual physical contact they have with each other is at the Nexus. There should be no problem with collateral damage. We shall simply shut down the Nexus at the moment of detonation. Then reopen it a bit later.'

Shaken to his core, Mike replied, 'That's the best news I've had in my lifetime, Galden.' Then the human savage peeked through, 'We're tripling the tonnage. None of those cockroaches are going to survive this!!'

There was no chuckle accompanying this thought.

THURSDAY Feb 15 10:00 A. M. Mitchell Residence Fox River Run, North Aurora, IL


The calls had gone out last night, and the message was clear as crystal. Meet today at Antonio's. Bring your families. On your lives, do not miss this meet.

As the last to arrive was seated in the cavernous living room Antonio made his entrance. The shock at his appearance set off ripples through the room. No one had even known he had a beard, much less, ever seen it's shadow.

"Family heads, to my office," came the command.

As the Family Heads departed ... the whispers began.

Seated at his desk, Antonio began, "Thank you all for coming on such short notice. Yes, this is that important." The recent horror still radiated from his eyes along with his determination to salvage his Family.

"Compadres. Last night I was visited by the Ghost of Christmas Future, but unlike Mr. Carol's figment. This ghost left a calling card," pointing at his desk.

All eyes tracked to this spot ... then the fear began. Angelino was especially terrified. He had commissioned that desk for his Padrone. He knew what it was made of.

Antonio watched their reactions until he came to Eduardo. He then opened a drawer and pulled out his loaded glock, saying, "Eduardo, I need your solemn vow that you will not go behind my back in what I'm about to instruct. Otherwise, I will shoot you through the head right now. Swear on your children's lives that you will obey me in this."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close