Along the Finke
Chapter 18

Copyright© 2010 by Pedant

Gordy

It took us about four hours to get to the hotel. The first 60 kilometers were the worst: ruts and bumps all the way. Then it got easier and the last hour we were doing at least 75kph. We got ourselves checked in and washed up and walked to the Italian place in the Mall. Charlie said he "hankered" for more of the hot sausages. Then we went into the jewelry store – actually, Charlie steered Maddy into the store and I grabbed Weena's arm so she couldn't follow.

"Spoilsport!" she complained.

"This is important to Maddy and a big step for Charlie. They don't need us."

"You're right, but I'm really very curious."

"We'll hear about it later ... and see the result, too."

We looked at the items in the windows, holding hands. I found the wristwatches totally uninteresting and most of the bracelets and necklaces, too. It was interesting that opals were marked "Coober Pedy" or "Lightning Ridge." One about halfway to Adelaide, the other over in New South Wales. I heard a sharp cry, and could see Charlie putting something on Maddy's ring finger.

"I think it's about over," Weena said.

I could see Charlie counting out bills – and I was sure they weren't tens. Two minutes later, they were coming out of the store. Charlie was carrying a small sack. Maddy was clutching his arm with both hands.

"Do you know..." she began. But Weena interrupted her.

"Lemme see!" Maddy stretched out her left hand. There was a silver or platinum ring on her finger with a large black opal flanked by small diamonds.

"Very tasteful, Charlie," I said. "Elegant and understated."

"Ayup. I ain't just any dumb cowboy."

"It's so much better than a silly diamond engagement ring," Weena contributed.

"I can't believe what he spent!" said Maddy, looking as though she were holding back tears.

"It's my investment in you," said Charlie. "So don't go runnin' off with someone without givin' it back."

"You old idiot!"

"Yup." He turned to me: "C'n we visit them desert folks now?"

"Maybe. I'm not certain they're open this late." So we started out. The ladies lagged behind, chatting vigorously.

"Was it a great deal?" I asked.

"Under two thousand."

"That's not bad."

"Nope."

When we got to Desert Knowledge Australia, the sign read 20:00 for Thursdays. I turned to the ladies and said: "This is going to be business. Charlie's the lease-holder and Maddy's the adjacent lease-holder. And what we need to know is what's legal where solar power's concerned, who governs it, and whether there's government money available. Weena, no tittering. okay?"

Everyone nodded and we went in. Three of the women from last time – not even a week ago! -- were there. They looked bored. We said "good day," and Charlie gave a sort of introductory three minute talk. When he got to "solar..." one of the staff perked up, went to a cabinet, and started pulling papers. She was back with a stack three centimeters high in a few moments.

"This is what we've got," she began.

Charlie held up his hand. "Can you give me the 30 second version? I'll read all this later."

"Yep. The Territory has funds to 'encourage' use of solar power. I'm not certain how much. At one point it was up to $8,000 per site. There are forms in that stack. If you're down in the Petermanns, you can get advice from the blokes at the Canyon. That quick enough?"

"Just great. Is there a company around who does this?"

"I don't know. Janice?"

Another woman answered from her desk. "Todae Systems in Sydney does that stuff. But I don't know whether they've done work near here. But you're near South Australia, so you never know. " She typed into her terminal. "They've got a 5.25kW installation, but it's $62 thousand bucks." I heard a gasp, but couldn't tell if it was Maddy or Weena.

"Can you give me that url?" I asked. And she did.

We got a big manila envelope, packed everything inside, thanked everyone, and left.

It was just about 20:00 [eight] by the time we got back to the hotel. Charlie and I took over a table in the restaurant while the ladies went to wash up. Charlie was unpacking the envelope.

"Hold on a minute," I said, "I'll get those maps." And I went upstairs, too.

"It's me!" I said as I came in.

"Yep, sure is."

"I didn't want to startle you."

"Right."

"I'm just getting these." I grabbed the maps, blew Weena a kiss and left.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close