Along the Finke - Cover

Along the Finke

Copyright© 2010 by Pedant

Chapter 16

Gordy

"Okeh," Charlie began after we'd washed and lunched. "Here we are. Maddy, how many cattle you got?"

"'Bout 100."

"Right. Looks to me like we got three bores on your land an' at least two on mine. I'd like to git them bores workin' but I'm not sure how good them windmills are."

"The one I started yesterday's an old IBC mill. I'm not sure but it's a 12-footer and must be 40 years old. The one we saw today is that age or a bit more."

"IBC?"

"Intercolonial Boring Company. They were headquartered in Brisbane, so everyone around when I was a kid had IBC mills. Smallest were eight feet. Some company bought them up right about when I was born."

"Waal, I'd like to put in something else. But I don' know what."

"Something else?" Weena asked.

"Yup. I'd run 'lectric, but that little generator o' Maddy's makes a lot of noise, an' I bet it just guzzles whatever it burns."

"Kerosene," Maddy said, softly.

"Maddy," I asked. "How often does it rain here?"

"Rain? Here? Not once in the last 20 years. Maybe not since that frog of yours swallowed the water."

"I think that's your answer, Charlie."

"My answer? I don't even know the question, Gordy."

"Solar power."

"Solar power?" asked Maddy.

"Brilliant!" said Weena.

"You can use the sunlight to generate power. For lighting, for cooking, for the pumps ... you might even be able to air-condition this building and the bunkhouse."

"Are you kiddin' me?"

"No, Charlie. In fact, there's a pilot project over at King's Canyon. It wouldn't be cheap, but you can get money from the government to do it."

"Hmmm. Okeh. Next question. Maddy, your fences are in better shape than mine. But some of your wire is going. and once it starts goin' it can go fast. When was the last time you had a crew ride the whole fence with coils of wire and tensioners and splicin' stuff?"

"Gosh. Years. Well before Morris died fer sure."

"Yup. Last, is there a good reason for that fence runnin' west from the river between your place and mine?"

A light went on in my head. I saw where Charlie was going. And I could tell that Maddy had no idea at all.

"Maddy, you got a truck? Somethin' with a 4-wheel drive?"

"Big Land Rover. I take it up to the Alice about once a month. Why?"

"Waal, I thought we might give these lovebirds a ride on Thursday, tomorrow. I got a bunch o' questions I need to find answers to. An' I need to go to the bank. An' I want to talk to them Desert folks agin'."

"We'd love to take a bumpy ride with you," Weena announced. I guess she got it now, too. That left only Maddy in the dark.

"Hey, Weena! Let's go see how Andy's doin' and what that mutt's up to." I got up. "We'll be back in an hour or so." And we went outside.

Outside, Weena asked: "Why'd you want to go?"

"Don't you get what Charlie's doing?"

"He's trying to organize his station."

"No, dear. He's trying for a corporate merger."

"Hunh?"

"He's going to get Maddy to agree to take down that fence, to renovate the five bores – possibly putting in solar power – and get married."

"Married?"

"Yep. They've slept together, right? Didn't seem to have any problems, right? And that would sure solve any residency/citizenship questions for Charlie. And for Maddy? Well, Charlie's got over $700,000 in the bank..."

"You got all that from his questions?"

"Well, we had some info – like Reynolds' citizenship question and the money in the bank – from before. But..."

"There's Andy!" Weena called out and Andy came running. The dog appeared from around the bunkhouse and came running, too.

"Hey, I see you made a friend," I remarked.

"Yeah, Gordy. I fed him yesterday and this morning. Cookie gave me some bones with meat on 'em. An' I got a metal bowl for water."

"Does he have a name?" asked Weena.

"I call him 'Dog'." Andy responded.

"Have you been working at all?" I asked.

"Yep. Arnie had me sweep the bunkhouse and I picked up this area and I scrubbed pots for cookie."

"Sounds like you're earning your keep."

"Yessir. I wanna make sure they take me when they work the cattle."

There was a screech from inside the house. Weena turned, but I put a hand on her arm. "Let 'em be," I

said. "That was Maddy's first reaction."

"Sounds like a good 'un."

"Ayup," I said. And we both burst out laughing.

"Is everything okay?" asked Andy, nervously.

"Sure seems to be," I told him. "You get back to work."

"Right-o. C'mon, Dog." The dog followed him.

"See what a little kindness gets," Weena said.

"Right. I fished him out of the water. But he's bonded to Andy."

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close