Along the Finke - Cover

Along the Finke

Copyright© 2010 by Pedant

Chapter 12

Weena

I woke up with the first rays hitting my face. I was stiff. My thighs ached and my bum hurt. My head was on Gordy's arm and I realized that he smelled. I'm sure I smelled, too. And the whole area smelled from the cattle. I lifted my head a bit and could see Charlie. He was holding hands with Maddy as she slept. He'd moved real fast. The crew were stirring and I could hear cookie working on breakfast. My bladder got me up, aches and all. I walked a few paces downhill and squatted behind a tuft of emu bush. I was just back to where Gordy was when there was a clatter and a noise and a voice called "Everyone up!"

There was a bloke I'd not seen before on horseback. "Where's Maddy?" he shouted.

"Here, Steve. What's up?" Maddy replied.

"Water! The 5 o'clock news said there was water in Minns Creek an' in Finke Gorge. They 'spect it to hit Henbury late tonight! Gotta git some tea, I'm perishin'!" Steve got down and one of the men handed him a cup.

"Right!" Maddy was really taking charge. "Andy, you stick with Arnie. Okay? Steve, you take a breather, then git back. I want all our cattle above the 300 mark. Charlie, you an' Gordy, Weena an' I will handle the bulls. The rest of you, finish eatin' and then lets git them cows movin'. Arnie, you an' Andy stay in the lead. Take 'em to my station, but the north-west section. When you git there, loose the mill so the tank'll have water. Everybody got it straight? I don't wanna lose any cattle an' I sure don't wanna lose one o' you."

Wow! That was good! Like an emergency in the hospital. Everyone assigned and on the job. Within 15 minutes, Steve was gone, the billy fire was out, the rolls were packed, the horses were saddled. Andy and Arnie were out of sight, and the lowing let me know that the cows were moving. Two of the men were recoiling the ropes that had made up the corral. The bulls were restive. They didn't know what, but something was going on.

Charlie

When I woke up, Maddie was holding my hand. That was real nice. I wonder what she looks like. She dresses real comfy, no tight jeans like Weena. I'll just have to bide my time. Like feeding that bull. Then a guy came ridin' in and all hell broke loose. Something about water. Anyhow, Maddy was up and givin' orders so I just walked a bit and drained the lizard. Then I had a cup of tea and a chunk of cake and we were packin' and saddling up. Maddy said I should mind the bulls, so I moseyed over to their fake corral. The lead bull came over. He knew somethin' was up. I just scratched the top of his nose and then patted him. He whuffed back. But he wasn't threatening. The others were already breakin' camp, so I strapped my pack behind my saddle. An' I waited.

Once the cows were gone, I untied one end of the rope. "Hey, Gordy!" I called.

"Yeah?"

"I'm gonna start the lead bull. When they're all out, coil the rope, pull up them sticks so they lie flat, an' the two of you bring up the rear o' the parade."

"Sure thing." He rode over and took the loose end in his hand. I just looked at the bull and said "Gee-up." I rode away slowly. The bull follered. The others noticed and follered him. We were on the way.

"I like how you did that," Maddy said.

"Nothin' to make a deal about. They're happy to be on solid ground and not penned up." I paused. "C'n you explain what's the big deal?"

"Yep. We know there was rain in the mountains north an' west. It's been dry a long time. Years. So the claypans an' the salt flats are real hard. Even a little bit o' water just runs off an' collects. But when there's more'n a bit, the runoff fills the stream beds an' flows into the river beds. An' when there's enough, it just comes down in a flood an' washes whatever there is downstream. So we gotta make sure that none of the livestock – cattle, horses, chooks, sheep – is in the old bed. Else they'll be dead in South Australia in a day or two."

"Oh. Right. Gordy said somethin' 'bout that. When we seen how dry the Hugh was."

"An' next week it'll be dry agin'."

"M-m-m."

"You married?"

"Nope?"

"Divorced?"

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close