Missing Cats and Found Kittens - Cover

Missing Cats and Found Kittens

Copyright© 2019 by UtIdArWa

Chapter 9

The next morning started like the others. Wakeup, followed by a headcount. a nutritious and tasteless breakfast followed by another headcount. This being Wednesday, my pod was scheduled for an hour of outdoor rec time. Just as we were lining up for another headcount, I was called to the guard station.

As I walked up to the fishbowl, I called out “What’s up Milt? Somebody flake out on KP? You short in the laundry?”

The fishbowl was the main guard station for out unit. The supervising guard could watch all of the pods he controlled. While his main job was controlling the doors in those pods. His primary job was hitting the panic button if things got out of hand. He was also a sort of platoon sergeant. When the Lt was tasked with a manpower request, The SCO, picked the confinee for the job.

“I have no idea Matt, All I know is they want you over to the courthouse for this afternoon. I was also told to tell you to pack your house and bring anything you want to keep.” I had learned in my time, that packing your house meant turning in your bedding that they issued you when you arrived. It was an indication you were going somewhere and not expected to return.

“Well, Well, That’s interesting. I guess I’ll either be heading home or to the state house in Kuna.”

“Yeah, Good luck with that Matt. I wouldn’t want to wish Kuna on my worst enemy. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.”

“Thanks Milt, Say goodbye to the rest of the crew.”

The following 2 hours were a combination of hurry up and wait. Something I was well used to from the Army.

Eventually I was loaded into a State Patrol car, which was unusual, normally they used a van or a small bus.

When I got to the courthouse, I was ushered into an interview room. Steve was there waiting for me. “Alright Matt, Things have come to a head. I don’t want you to get your hopes up, something could still go wrong.”

He had a grey suit with him, for me, and everything else I would need. “I know it’s a cliché, but hurry up and get changed. We’ll be going in front of the judge as soon as he’s ready.”

The suit was a sort of good fit. But I wished I had my Carhart’s, Levi’s and Dickies. Oh well.

We sat around for another hour, waiting and talking. Talking pretty much about everything other than the case. Eventually the Bailiff came around and told us it was time.

When Steve and I came in, we found Suzy sitting at the defense table. Randy and his assistant seated at the State’s Table. For some reason, neither of them would look at me. Seated behind Randy was Nigel St. Gaudens and His lawyer, Dagner Fayrbanke. Both of them were looking smug, and sneered at me when I came into the room.

As soon as Steve and I had taken our places, the clerk, Jedediah, Called into the judge. Then announced, “All Rise”

Judge Eskelson came in and took his seat. “Be seated.” Once everyone was seated, He continued. “Ladies and Gentlemen.”

Dagner Fayrbanke stood and started to object, “Your Honor,”

“Hold it right there. Fayrbanke, You and I have discussed this. You received adequate warning at that time. You and your client are here SOLELY as a courtesy. As the State of Idaho, the county of Idaho acting as their agent, are the aggrieved and prosecuting party. I know what your objection is going to be, and have told you I won’t tolerate it. SO, unless you want to join your other clients, currently serving their contempt sentences I STRONGLY suggest you sit down and shut up.”

Dagner huffed and puffed and sat down. I was reminded of a petulant child denied sugar pops for breakfast.

The Judge looked around for a moment, waiting for another outburst. Then continued. “Ladies and Gentlemen, The District Attorney, Randy Clausen has called us together to request a motion from the court. Mr. Clausen.”

Randy stood and looked over at me. I felt sorry for the guy. He had obviously, Finally, gotten the full story on what was going on. “Your Honor, at this time I would request that all charges against Mr. Reynolds be dropped. Additional information has come to my attention concerning this issue and the true facts therein. I would further ask that judicial notice be taken of My sincere and profound apologies to Mr. Reynolds and his family. A serious miscarriage of justice has happened here, where the judicial system was used to bully, harass and intimidate an innocent person.”

Judge Eskelson sat for a moment and looked at Randy and then Me. Turning back to Randy, “Mr. Clausen, In so much as I agree with you, A serious and vile manipulation of the legal system has taken place here.” Turning back to me, “Mr. Reynolds, I am hereby vacating the charges against you. I find that not only were you provoked into the original offense, that further actions from the so called victim were designed to do nothing more than cause you and your loved one’s anguish. If I could, I would bring charges against those individuals. But unfortunately, this court is unable to do more than offer its heartfelt apologies.”

Judge Eskelson sat up straight in his chair. “The case of the State of Idaho, Idaho County, Against Matthew Reynolds is hereby dismissed and he is released from custody.” Followed by that Oh so theatrical banging of the gavel.

Almost immediately Dagner jumped to his feet, “YOUR HONOR,” He was almost screaming, “I OBJECT.” and as Judge Eskelson walked from the room, I say him raise his right hand and flip Dagner the bird. I don’t think anybody other than Dagner saw it. At least when he started screeching about it, nobody else was listening. But then again, His only fan in the room was Nigel.

The next 30 minutes or so were spent signing papers. Jedediah really knew his job and had everything ready. Including little colored flags where I needed to sign or initial. He was very polite and after we finished, He shook my hand. I told him to let the Judge know that if he was ever up my way, to drop in, Jedediah too.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close