Abby
Chapter 58

Copyright© April 2009 Texrep

Sam had taken to walking his pastures again, yet only those pastures that gave him a view of the road going up to Paverton. When James' Land Rover roared by leaving a cloud of blue smoke, he knew that James had found the clue. He phoned Abby.

"I think he's found it, and he's on his way. Mind, Abby the way he's thrashing that motor he may not make it." He heard Abby chuckle.

"Well I am pretty sure he phoned the hotel about two hours ago. I am going out, Sam. I don't want to be here as if I was waiting for him. I'll let him cool his heels for a while."

"Good idea, Abby." They broke the connection.

James made good time, and found the hotel without trouble, after all the name itself gave an indication of where it could be discovered. He parked and went in. There was no one in reception so he pressed the plunger on the Brass bell. A young lady came from the rear office.

"Can I help you?"

"Yes, I wonder if I could see Miss Tregonney. I believe she is staying with you." The receptionist checked the key board.

"Her key is here so I would imagine she is out at the moment. Was she expecting you?"

"No. I just hoped that I might catch her. May I wait?"

"Of course, Sir. The Lounge is just through the door there. Would you like some tea or coffee?"

"Coffee would be good, thank you."

"I'll bring it through for you." James wandered into the Lounge. He had chosen coffee as he imagined he may need the caffeine boost when he confronted Abby. Then he thought. Was it a confrontation? No it wasn't, not really. He was going to beg Abby to come back.

The preserved West Somerset Railway ran very close to the sea at Blue Anchor, and the arrival and departure of the trains was very evident to anyone in the vicinity, especially when the level crossing gates were closed to road traffic. James did not hear the arrival, nor the departure of the train from Minehead. All he was hearing was the voice in his head telling him how to manage the conversation he was about to have with Abby. Abby had taken a quick return trip to Minehead purely to give James time to think, and as she walked back from Blue Anchor station saw James' Land Rover parked at the hotel. He was so bound up with his own thoughts that he didn't see Abby arrive. Abby was standing in the doorway when James looked up and saw her. All his planned words were forgotten.

"Abby. Thank God I found you." Abby was quite amused at this as she had intended to be found anyway. He had got up when he saw her, now she came over and took a seat near to him.

"Why? James. I wasn't lost." He sat down again.

"Eh. No of course not, but we all worried when you went off without telling anyone."

"I didn't realise that I had to tell anyone if I was going away for a few days. I did leave a note for Mary."

"Well no. But Mary, Mavis and Sam have been quite concerned."

"So! You can tell them when you get back that I am fine."

"You're not coming back then?"

"I shall be back for the blessing of the station, then..." Her voice trailed off.

"Then? He repeated.

"I have to give it some thought."

"Why? Abby. We thought you were going to settle in the station house."

"That was my intention, but I have been having second thoughts. At this moment I don't know what I will do, or where I will go. If someone made an interesting offer, that could shape my plans."

"Oh." He sounded disappointed. "You mean a Bank or something?"

"Not necessarily."

"But you could go back to London?"

"Again, not necessarily." James seemed to grow in stature then, as he took a deep breath and summoned his courage.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close