Abby - Cover

Abby

Copyright© April 2009 Texrep

Chapter 56

Sam rarely walked his fields now. The farm had been handed over to Roger some ten years ago, and Sam had no quarrels with his methods, the management was in essence the same way that the land had been used for seventy or eighty years. Indeed he thought, if Sam's grandfather was walking with him he would not notice any great changes. However he did from time to time like to take a walk around the farm, strolling casually through Lower Penny acre; which actually was far larger than its name would suggest; the Water Meadow, Upper Penny and Lydcott Straight. He didn't know why these fields were named so; his father had used these names and probably his grandfather as well. The reasons lost in the timeless pattern of country lore. It was at the top end of Lydcott Straight that he encountered Woody; who appeared as he usually did, seemingly out of nowhere.

"Good morning, Mr. Perry. It's a good day for walking the pasture."

"It is indeed, Woody. I don't often see you here though."

"I have been watching for you for some days now. May I ask first what would seem a strange question? I have seen Miss Tregonney down at the old station quite often, but I haven't seen Miss Marion. Is she not here with Miss Abby?"

"No Woody." Sam was disquieted. "I thought you knew. I am sorry to tell you, but Miss Marion is dead. She died about fifteen years ago. No one knew until Abby came here." The news affected Woody dramatically. His lifestyle of being invisible and incommunicado worked against him as well as for him. His head went down, and to Sam it appeared that he was muttering something, possibly a prayer.

"I am deeply upset to hear that."

He stopped and Sam got the feeling that he was struggling with a dilemma. Eventually he straightened and took a deep breath. "Mr. Perry, that being so I have information that rightly should be given to Miss Tregonney directly, but I must confess that I am not well enough acquainted with her to do so, nor am I equipped with sufficient courage. This information should rightly come from someone who knows her well, possibly you or perhaps Mr. James." Sam was intrigued, what could Woody know that others in the valley could not.

"Go on, Woody."

"When Miss Marion went away, I was aware that no one knew why, even Mr. Tregonney. However I believe that I did. I had reason to believe that she could be pregnant." Sam was shocked and angry. At first he wondered if it was Woody who impregnated Marion, then cast the thought aside.

"If you knew that Woody, why the bloody hell didn't you say something. We might have had a chance of keeping her here, giving her the support she needed. Damn you Woody, Damn you!"

Woody winced, shaken by Sam's angry outburst. "I am sorry, Mr. Perry. Your condemnation of me is well deserved. I have berated myself often enough, but I couldn't say anything. Miss Marion had made me promise that I wouldn't. I had broken one promise before with terrible consequences, I wouldn't betray another." Sam eventually calmed down, and needed to know why Woody could have come to this conclusion.

"What made you believe that?"

"I was in Higher Huish Wood one day when I heard screams. It took me some time to discover the reason. It was Miss Marion who screamed, she was dishevelled, and bleeding from a private place. I knew enough to understand that she may have been assaulted. When I looked to see if the aggressor was still around I noticed that gentleman who came to stay from time to time at Lyney House. I never knew his name, but he was hurrying away, making for Huish."

"Was he of big build with dark hair?" Woody agreed that the man was.

"I knew him, not a nice person at all. He was the son of one of Mrs. Comberford's friends." Sam told Woody. "He only came down here to escape the problems of his life. Debts I assume. I think his name was Gore, Ralph Gore. You think he raped Marion?"

"Yes, Mr. Perry. I am sure he did. Marion was very distressed and mostly unintelligible, but to me it was obvious what happened. I had some Yarrow at my Den, and Comfrey and gave her some to treat herself as best she could. I offered to help her back to the station but she refused.

"And Marion made you promise not to tell anyone?"

"She did. I feel so guilty, I should never have made that promise, but Miss Marion was very insistent. Once made, I couldn't break my silence. Now that I know she is dead, I feel able to reveal what happened. I am so sorry."

"We have to tell Mr. James. He will know if Abby should be told. Let's go back to the farm, I'll telephone him." Woody was very concerned.

"No, Mr. Perry. I could not face him. Not at this moment. Please tell him yourself." Sam understood that Woody, who had kept a low profile for all these years, had summoned just enough courage to tell him about this, but that courage was quickly failing.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close