Abby - Cover

Abby

Copyright© April 2009 Texrep

Chapter 49

Abby put her musing to one side. She had to prepare for the meeting with Roger, Harry, Nat and Abe. This should have happened last week, but there were difficulties getting all the participants together, and the Monday this week was the best time, hence the return early from Torquay. Perhaps it was chagrin that the meeting had forced this early return, or possibly the determination gained from the City, but the meeting was just as exciting as Sam had thought possible, much to his delight. Abby showed why she was successful in her job, with a firm outline of her business plan, and a forecast that acted as a splash of cold water on the assumptions of one or two. Abe was very happy with the meeting as Abby proposed a system that would allow all of them who joined the scheme to enjoy equally in the profits. This appealed to his Methodist adherence. Nat had to support Abby as he had become her champion in this matter, although he was somewhat unhappy that the extra revenue he had supposed would not be as great as his imagination had conjured. Harry and Roger were the most unhappy. It was their production that would provide the bulk of the extra business, but had assumed that they would be able to buy yearlings for fattening from Abe at similar prices as they had enjoyed in the past, ignoring his increased costs to provide them with more beasts. Abby had listened to them all and was determined to create a level playing field for all to profit.

In essence Abby was setting up a business in which they all had shares, which would buy all the production at agreed rates, for selling on. The profits would then be distributed to shareholders as dividends. It was simple, and although it would not address every individual's difficulty, it would cover most eventualities, and could expand easily if other farmers in the locality wanted to join. Sam had already heard from one who was interested.

If they came out of the meeting with somewhat shell-shocked expressions, Sam came out with a half-smile on his face. Harry had made great play of telling Abby that they wanted someone independent to run the co-operative, to avoid the arguments. Now he had got what he wished for and was bruised from the encounter. When Harry turned to Sam later and complained about Abby's direct approach, Sam had little sympathy.

"Harry, you wanted Abby to run it. Well she's going to, but not as a puppet with you pulling the strings. By all accounts she made herself a lot of money in the City. Now if she can bring that sort of skill to us, and make us a lot of money, don't complain!" Harry was still put out.

"Yes and if that happens, next thing will be Mr. James putting the rents up." Sam had thought this argument would appear sooner or later.

"So? What if he does? You know damned well that the rents here are less than elsewhere. He has been subsidising us for years. Come on, Harry be fair." Harry reluctantly nodded. He said nothing else for a few minutes, then.

"You're right, Sam. I was right as well. She is the best person to run this thing. She had Abe eating out of her hand, never thought I would see that. And I like this idea of creating a brand name. We ought to get the carcasses stamped with the name." He gave that some thought. "She didn't think of that." Sam smiled ruefully. Harry was ever the same; he always had to come out on top, even if his victories were more in his own head than actual.

With things happening Abby now moved in to the old estate office. James had arranged a phone line, and Abby immediately applied for a second, to run a broadband connection for her computer. She was happy with her lap-top to begin with, but admitted to herself that she would have to get a new one for the co-operative, as she had personal stuff on the lap-top and she could envisage a time when others may want to use the computer for co-operative work. James had done a good job in clearing and tidying the office, and all it needed was Abby to arrange the desk and files as she liked, then add the feminine touch. She rummaged through the kitchen and found a vase, then helped herself to the last of the roses from the garden. James found her there busy with organising all the papers she had gathered on her researches.

"Ah! The wheeler-dealer is in place." Abby looked up.

"Wheeler-dealer?" she queried.

"I have been talking to Nat and Abe this morning. Nat is astonished that you have taken the reins so soundly, and kept Harry in his place, which we all know is a difficult thing to do. Abe is totally in awe and is your confirmed supporter. He has convinced himself that you are organising this with strong Methodist principles, which means that as you have God on your side it must be good for the whole community. He also seems to believe that you will be attending Chapel with him and Sheila. Are you?"

"It wasn't part of my plans. Will he be upset if I don't go with them?"

"No. Methodists are very forgiving. They just believe that one day you will see the light and join them; all they have to do is be patient. I am going to put the kettle on, fancy a coffee?" Abby nodded enthusiastically.

"Yes please."

Abby followed James into the breakfast room. The kettle was just whispering steam as it came to the boil on the Aga, and James set out the mugs, sugar and milk. Abby came close to him and waited. He turned and put his arms around her drawing her into a kiss. The steam was boiling out of the kettle when their lips grudgingly parted. Abby sat down at the table.

"Whew! They get better and better. I could get used to those." James smiled.

"I thought it was you that was doing the kissing. I was just hanging in there."

"Well you can hang in there some more."

"Now?"

"Later. I'll let you know when." Abby was pensive for a while, and James catching her mood became concerned that something was troubling her.

"What's the matter, Abby?"

"Nothing."

"Abby. You say nothing, but it means anything but. It means that there is something that you cannot talk about, or will not talk about, or don't know how to talk about. So what is it?' Abby shook her head and suddenly blurted.

"Was I over the top when we were away?"

"How do you mean, 'over the top'." Abby was quiet, not knowing quite how to say this.

"Well, did I shock you? I used some bad language, and behaved brazenly, walking around with no clothes. Did it upset you?" James couldn't believe that Abby had asked this question.

"Did it look like I was shocked? Not at all. Was I appalled by your language? Not at all. Abby, it was a tender and wonderful time. What happened there will stay with me for the rest of my life. I will never share that with anyone but you. And if you want to walk around without clothes, I have never seen a more beautiful sight. In fact the next time you feel like walking around naked, let me know, and come up here for the weekend. You will improve the look of the place no end, and give me a great deal of pleasure." Abby smiled, James' compliments were now given without that hint of flippancy that he used at first, and his emotion showed in his words. Then her smile evolved to wicked.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close