Abby - Cover

Abby

Copyright© April 2009 Texrep

Chapter 47

Abby had to ward off further entreaties from Susan Gaunton to stay for 'a little bite, ' as she put it, and took the opportunity to call in at the station. The house echoed to the sound of hammering and an unseen voice urging another unseen voice to, 'just a little bit this way.' And, 'keep that end up.' With some trepidation she entered the house. The ground floor had been transformed. Everything had been cleared out, the furniture, the old Butler sink, the range, gone. In place were clean grey boards lining the walls, with a tape covering the joins. Every so often she could see wires protruding through these sheets, and on two walls pipe work as well. Heavy footsteps on the stairs heralded the entrance of George Walker.

He looked up in surprise to see Abby. "Ah, Miss Tregonney. Come to see how we are getting on?"

"Yes, Mr. Walker. I must say you seem to be getting along very quickly." He hummed as usual then said.

"It can be deceiving. It always looks at first as if the work is going quickly. Getting the dry-lining up makes it look that way, it's the details that take the time though. I'm glad you're here, I was going to call you. There are some decisions needed."

"Ok." Agreed Abby. "Tell me what you need."

"Well for a start, I have put in some wiring for the ring-main, and tails for where plugs will be, over the work surface and around the base of the walls, but if you would like anymore, perhaps you could let me know, as it is easy to do them now, better to have more than not enough, you know. And you will have to start thinking about what you are going to put there." He pointed to the space where the range had been. Abby had given this some thought, and James had managed to get her some brochures from a place in Taunton. She had seen one she liked, which looked as if it was a period piece, but was nonetheless state of the art, and would either use Gas, or Electricity, or a combination of the two. She told George about this. He hummed some more.

"Yes I think I know what you mean. If you would let me have the brochure with the one you want indicated, I can get it on order. But if it's the one I think you mean it'll cost you a bit." Abby suddenly had a thought.

"Mr. Walker, I assume there is a flue there?"

"Yes of course. We would use it if you have a gas cooker fitted."

"Could you use it for a real fire?" George looked at her.

"A real fire?"

"I have suddenly had this thought. I am not a cook, so it seems a waste of time my putting this big cooker in. It would be nice if I could have a fire there instead." George saw what she was getting at.

"Tell you what. How about a wood-burning stove? I can get one which will fit in nicely, look a little bit more like the old one as well. It will have an opening front so you can enjoy real flames. Course you will have to have a separate boiler for the central heating, but those come so neat and convenient these days, you will hardly notice it." Abby thought about this and nodded.

"Yes. I like that. Would you go ahead with that?"

"No problem. But what will you cook on?"

"I'll get a microwave, and a toaster. Anything else I will go down to the Inn and Mary will feed me."

They moved around the ground floor, with Abby gesturing to where she would like electric plugs to be, George marked the positions with a soft lead pencil with which he signed a great cross and a little lightning symbol. He nodded his thanks and said.

"If you would come back next week, we can do the same with the bedroom. Does your brochure have bathroom suites in it, as I shall need to know what you want soon?"

"No it didn't. What do you suggest?"

"I have got some catalogues, shall I bring them down to the Inn? Then we can go through them."

"Yes please, that would be good, but I don't want any of these plastic things." He smiled his agreement.

"Good thing too. I have got some catalogues showing cast iron, and pressed steel baths. You'll have enough room up there to put in a separate shower cabinet and a Bidet if you wish. Give it some thought and we'll discuss it when I come down with the catalogues." As she left it suddenly occurred to Abby that she would have to start thinking about furniture. Not for the main room as her grandfathers table, dresser and chairs would go back in there, but for the backroom, and for her bedroom. Loathe as she was to get Mavis and Mary too involved, she realised that she would have to bring them in to the discussion, else they would feel slighted. She was suddenly reminded that bedroom furniture would have to include a double bed, just in case a certain gentleman would be staying. Would they get a double up those stairs? She laughed at herself. Despite what Sam and Maggie had said, and despite her own gut feelings, there was still a nagging doubt. If James turned out to be her brother, then he would certainly not be staying. Abby then cheered herself up, it was better to be prepared, you never know.

Back at the Inn, a letter awaited her. Looking at the writing she knew exactly who this was from, hurriedly she opened the envelope, not bothering with a knife to slit it. Mr. Brasher had written.

_Dear Abby.

I am writing first to thank you for your hospitality, when I stayed at the Combe Inn. Your kindness made my stay a very pleasant experience.

The Joints of beef and Pork, I am pleased to say, matched the praise I had given them to the delight of many members. Our Chef, a man who is only grudgingly pleased, had to admit that it was some of the finest meat he had ever had the pleasure of cooking.

The committee had a meeting from which I excluded myself on the grounds that I had a particular interest. The judgement was that the Club should take immediate steps to obtain supplies on a regular basis. Our Chef therefore will be in contact with you in the very near future, to discuss prices and quantities. I should say at this juncture, that we would like to purchase all meats and poultry as well. He will probably travel down for a day, to inspect the facilities. Please do let me know when this would be convenient.

I intend to make another visit shortly, as I would very much appreciate an opportunity to talk with Mr. Purvess, as well as seeing the friends I made when last I visited. I shall write to you soon with the dates, hoping that Mr. and Mrs. Elvesly will be able to accommodate me.

I look forward to seeing you soon, and hearing how the restoration is getting along.

Your affectionate friend

Brasher_

Abby needed to pass this good news on to Roger and Harry to start with and then to James. She immediately set off for Gallow Farm. The only one there was Mavis who could not entreat Abby to a tea or coffee, but did say that Roger was over in the fields repairing a gate, and that Sam was at Lydcott with Harry. Abby thanked Mavis and asked if she thought it would be alright to call at Lydcott.

"Bless you Girl, of course. They will only be chatting if I know them. You go, they will be pleased to see you." Abby got back into her car and drove the short distance to Lydcott Farm. The drive as all these farm drives was not exactly a smooth surface, and Abby gave thought that if she would be doing this more frequently, perhaps she should get transport more suited to the terrain. She drove into the yard and almost immediately Harry appeared from his shed, followed by Sam.

"Miss Abby, it's so nice to see you here. Can I offer you a cuppa?"

"Harry, thank you, but I have had coffee at Nat's, and lemonade at Abe's. Any more to drink, and I will burst"

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close