Abby - Cover

Abby

Copyright© April 2009 Texrep

Chapter 31

The next day dawned cloudy but dry. Now that George Walker was coming on Friday, her plans for that day, which was to lay out her ensemble for the Ball, were brought forward to today. She mentioned this to Mary at Breakfast, after scolding her for trying to slip another rasher of Bacon, and a slightly higher mound of scrambled egg on her plate. Mary took the scolding in her stride, and even if she had been upset was immediately mollified when Abby asked her help.

"I want to lay out the dress and everything else I shall be wearing. Is there somewhere I could do that where it won't be disturbed?" Mary thought just a moment.

"Yes. I'll open one of the other guest rooms for you. I haven't got any bookings so it won't be a problem." She didn't mention that if she had some last minute guests, that room would not be let to anyone. This was far more important.

The day passed swiftly, and Abby was amazed how much she had to do, and seemingly how little time she had in which to do it. The Dress, Shoes, Gloves and Cape, were laid out on the bed with layers of tissue paper to keep the dust off. Abby had made a choice from what little Jewellery she had. She looked at single strand of Pearls, with matching earrings. Mary was willing her to choose those and Abby did. Mary approved, saying that it was simple, but very elegant. Noting at the same time that they had not been cheap, the box they came in had the name of a very well-known jeweller on the inside. It was late afternoon before Abby had a chance to relax, and sitting in her room had caught up on a little more reading of Mr. Brasher's papers together with the inevitable cup of tea.

James had told her that George Walker would be at the station about ten o' clock, and Abby was impressed that he arrived very promptly. He examined the station carefully.

"I can see straight away that these slabs will need re-laying." indicating the platform paving. "Some will need to be replaced, as they are cracked too much. I will have to talk to a quarry to get the right ones, else they will look out of place, and the Heritage people will not allow it. The station generally is in good condition, just needs some pointing and painting. The Barge boards will need to be replaced. I will have to get details of how they actually looked to make exact copies." Abby asked him if he could put in Electric light and power. He looked a bit dubious.

"I shall have to see what the Heritage people say. It's possible as the supply cables run alongside the Lane, but they may say no, to that. I can put it in the house, that's not listed, and as I understand you intend to live there, you will need it." He never seemed to stay in the one place, always strolling around the building and stopping suddenly to examine some stonework or structure. He would make notes in his little book making a little humming sound and then move on. Abby had to run a little to keep up with him.

Eventually he ended up back at on the platform.

"Can we get inside?" Abby had the key, and tried the lock. The oiling that Harry had given it had worked and copying the knack that Reg had demonstrated she was pleased to open the doors with little trouble. George went inside, again stopping and starting, making his notes and humming to himself. Eventually he looked up and spoke to Abby.

"They built well in those days. Everything over-engineered of course, but it has lasted over a hundred years, and will probably last another hundred." He consulted his notes. "Strip and replace the plaster as it is coming away, and repaint. That old desk has the worm. Best to get it out and burn it before it gets in the floorboards. Doubt that there is any rot at all, Lime plaster takes care of that."

"Do you have to replace the Plaster?"

"Best. Some of it is coming off already, I can patch, but it's better to get it all off, then we can see the condition of the walls as well. They should be alright, but best to make sure. I shall have to replace with Lime-plaster, so when it's painted you will not know any difference." Abby in her brief scrutiny had not seen the damage, but accepted his opinion.

"I don't want to burn the desk. That was my grandfather's desk." He looked at her with curiosity.

"Your grandfather worked here?"

"Yes he was the stationmaster.' He gave that some thought.

"Right! Well in that case I'll get it collected, and take it to Archie Breed. He can treat the worm, and from what I have seen will be able to restore the desk to as good as new. He's a good craftsman. Cost you a bit though." Abby did not need to think. As far as she was concerned the price would be worth it.

George explained that he was looking at the basics, but he couldn't give her a price until the Heritage Officer had inspected and gave him a list of requirements.

"That will be a long list I have no doubt. When I have their report I will be in touch with you to discuss it. Of one thing I can assure you though, it is going to cost you a bit. They will insist that I use materials that are sympathetic to the original." Abby nodded.

"I was prepared for that.' She was to find with time that the expression 'cost you a bit' was frequently on George's lips. Abby locked the doors of the station and they walked over to the house. Mr. Walker detoured to his van, and then rejoined Abby with a pair of step ladders over his shoulder.

Abby was happy to see that Sam had arrived. George greeted him immediately.

"Hello Sam, long time since I have seen you. Are you well?"

"George, good to see you again. Still bodging jobs are we?" George grinned.

"Only for those as is not quick on paying me."

"Well make sure you do a good job for this young Lady here. Else you will have the whole valley after your Blood."

"Don't worry. I'll make sure she's happy with the work." Abby was surprised to see that the upstairs windows had now been cleared of the boarding; she looked at Sam who shook his head.

"Not me, Abby, I suspect that Mr. James did it." Abby unlocked the door to the house. George walked in to start his inspection. He came out again very quickly.

"Miss Tregonney, you had better get that clock somewhere safe as quickly as possible." Abby was confused.

"James said something about that. Why is it valuable?"

"Yes.' Replied George, "From a quick look I would say it is over one hundred years old. Clocks like that sell for over a thousand pounds. Anyone looking in could see it, and it is a bit too tempting." Abby nodded. The value meant little to her, but it was her family's clock, and that gave it a different meaning.

"Could you take it down for me? I'll keep it in my room until I can get it to be cleaned." George nodded and went back to make his survey. Abby stayed outside in the air, watching Sam pace the ground around the house.

The initial impulse to restore the station and the house had been just that, an impulse. But the more she thought about it the stronger her resolve became and she was now making plans in her mind about the funding. She was under no illusions; the commitment would be major, or as George Walker would say cost her a bit. Her thoughts became clear and firm. She would return to London within the next two weeks and pack the remaining personal items in the Flat, and put it on the Market. When she bought it she had also purchased an extension of the lease to ninety-nine years. With this cushion the Flat would be worth a lot more than if she had remained with the original lease of fifty-six years. The Capital she would release from that should be more than adequate for the work she was putting in hand here. There was no longer any regret about leaving the life she had known for this new one. Her only concern was to find something to do.

Sam returned to her to say that he felt sure that between them, Harry and he had sufficient post and rail to fence off the property. He went on.

"Oh and I found the Septic tank around the back" Abby remembered James saying something about that, or was it Reg?

"A Septic tank? I thought that there was drainage." Sam shook his head.

"No Love. Not many here have drainage. About a hundred years ago everything went into the River. The water authority stopped that before the War. Now we have Septic tanks. Get them emptied about every six months." He had a smile on his face as he said. "Abby you will really be back to a rustic way of life here. Water from a well, and a Septic tank." Abby laughed ruefully.

"It will take some getting used to all these privations after the City. I don't even know where the nearest Tube station is." Sam chuckled.

"Well as long as you keep the smile on your face, that's all that matters. Honestly you won't know any different after about ten years. Oh and by the way. What's a Tube?" He laughed and Abby laughed with him. George rejoined them.

"What's so funny?"

"I was telling Abby about the delights of a Septic tank." George nodded.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close