Abby - Cover

Abby

Copyright© April 2009 Texrep

Chapter 25

They sat in silence for a while, Abby enjoying the peace, the warmth of the Sun, and a seat which was not moving beneath her. James sipping his coffee. She watched the river again, and wondered why the flow was sullen.

"James, Why is the river so different here? Further up it flows quite quickly, but here it's very sluggish." James had been packing away the Flask and coffee mugs, obviously in anticipation of starting their return ride. He walked over and looked at the river.

"I suspect it would have something to do with the geology. I think there is a ridge of impervious Granite down there." he pointed away from the Valley, "and it has created this area of bog. The river couldn't cut through the ridge so it spreads out and finds many channels to run through. I think the railway bridge was built on the granite, but the road bridge had to have that embankment built, probably why they never improved it, they would have had to put pilings down to get a firm foundation." Abby looked up at James.

"Is there nothing you don't know about this valley?" She asked with a smile. James grinned and shrugged his shoulders.

"It's a legacy of the generations that the family have lived here, and of a little boy who was always asking questions, much to the annoyance of his long-suffering Mother and Father." His face bore that habitual grin. A grin that could be warming, welcoming and sometimes exasperating. "Do you know that some were rude enough to call me that damn know-it-all?"

Abby had to smile. Not that he qualified as a know-it-all but at the picture conjured in her head.

"I'm picturing you as a little boy, in short trousers, dirty knees and torn sweater." James laughed and shook his head.

"Never short trousers. Jeans from the very earliest days. Too many brambles and nettles around to wear short trousers. But the torn sweater, yes. I have to admit that." He collected the cups and walked over to Cassie and packed them.

"Are we off then?" Abby asked. James nodded.

"I think we should, bit of a haul back, but we can stop on the way if you want." He brought Jason over and Abby used the parapet of the bridge to mount Jason, who suitably refreshed by the stop was eager to be off.

It is always this way, thought Abby as they rode back. The journey to a place was always more exciting than the return. Yes, she enjoyed riding along with James, and Jason had now learnt to obey her instructions; or perhaps it was that she had learnt how to give them; yet there was a sense of sadness that she was approaching the end of a really good day. As she rode behind James where the track narrowed, she noticed that he was riding with his shoulders slumped a little, did he feel this sense of sadness as well? The gloom of the wooded area did not help either, the Sun was now coming more from the west casting more of the valley into shade. Abby felt happier when they emerged from the woods and the sunlight once again fell upon them. Although there was quite a way to ride yet she didn't want the day to end there, so riding up alongside James she told him how much she had enjoyed the day.

"Would you join me for Dinner this evening?" James looked up sharply.

"Dinner?"

"Yes, I am sure that Mary would give us a good meal." James didn't think at all.

"I would love that, thank you, but why?"

"You have been so helpful, allowing me to ride Jason, and showing me this lovely valley, which I admit could not be seen better than in the saddle, so it's a little thank you."

"You have no need to thank me." James replied. "It has been an absolute pleasure, and as I haven't ridden this way for some time, the ride was made all the more pleasant for the company."

"Good I shall tell Mary, I am sure she will do us something a little special." James had that quivering smile about his mouth again.

"I have no doubt of that; she will probably be distraught that she doesn't have any oysters to give us." Abby giggled at that remark, the first time that James had made any kind of a suggestive quip with her. James continued. "Are we going to be formal?"

"Of course not." replied Abby knowing full well that she would put on a dress this evening, and use the lessons she had from Roz, and take more care with her makeup than usual.

"As we are issuing invitations, my Mother wondered if you would like to come up to the house one afternoon for tea. Any day this week would suit her, if you are not too busy."

Abby had to give this some thought, not that she wanted to refuse, but about the significance of this meeting. Deciding that there was no real significance, she answered.

"I would like that. Would Wednesday suit?" James nodded.

"I am sure it will. I'll let you know this evening if that is ok."

"Will you be there, James?"

"Some of the time, I am sure. I may have to go out though, but I won't let you suffer completely alone."

"You make it sound like a bit of a trial." James laughed.

"No not really. Mother is quite easy to get on with, when she is here. She just makes life uncomfortable for me for the first few days when she arrives. She will be all sweetness and light for you." Abby was thinking to herself that she should have to make another effort for this appointment, when James said.

"You don't need to go to any trouble. Mother will probably be in Jodhpurs."

"Oh, does she ride?"

"Yes, Jason is her horse really. When she's here, Jason gets a lot of exercise; else he would be eating his head off all the time." Abby had heard from James before that his mother did not seem to spend all her days in the valley and wondered why?

Emboldened by their frankness earlier she ventured to ask.

"Does your Mother spend much time away?" James smiled before answering...

"When the Flat racing season is with us she's in Berkshire, when it's National Hunt rules she everywhere else, as long as there is society to be part of, that's where she is. She has never been happy in the valley you see." James said that as if he couldn't understand why anyone could not be happy with the valley. He went on. "That suits me well. I am left to get on with my life as I see fit. Apart from her spies of course."

"And what pray," Abby giggled, "have they told your Mother about you neglecting your duties to entertain this newcomer to the valley?"

"I would imagine that Mother has been briefed thoroughly. I know not what she is thinking, but I can imagine as I would think you can as well." Abby's face lit up.

"Along the same lines as Mavis and Mary perhaps?"

"Got it in one." James nodded vigorously. Abby mentally slapped herself. She was flirting again. Annoyed in one respect but pleased that it seemed to come so easily. Perhaps it was James and the ease with which they could talk and yet not talk together. Neither feeling the need to fill the gaps with inane chatter. She was comfortable with him, never feeling threatened by crude and loaded comments.

They were arriving back at the station. Abby was surprised to see Sam and another man on the platform. She had seen this other man in the Combe Inn and talked with him, yet for the life of her could not remember his name. She was saved when James muttered.

"I wonder what Sam and Harry are doing here?" That was enough of a reminder for her, the name now jumped from her memory. Harry Webster, the man with the Terriers. They rode up, Sam and Harry turned to wait their arrival. Abby was the first to speak.

"Hello Sam, hello Harry, it's a lovely day?" She guided Jason towards the platform, and Sam came forward to help her dismount. Abby gave him a kiss on the cheek which brought on Sam's blush as ever. Harry greeting was more reserved, lifting his cap slightly and murmuring,

"Mr. James, Miss Abby."

Sam immediately told Abby why they were here.

"Harry and me were wondering how we were going to open up this place for his dogs to check it out. That's if you don't mind of course."

"Oh no, I don't mind at all, in fact I would be pleased."

"Don't want to break a window, or force the door, but I cannot see another way at the moment." Abby could see the problem, and was giving some thought as to what she would prefer when a moment of clarity came to her.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close