Abby
Chapter 20

Copyright© April 2009 Texrep

Abby broke the news that James had invited her to the Hunt Ball to Toni the next morning. This prompted an early Coffee break in order that this could be discussed in greater detail.

"My, you are honoured," Toni was quite impressed. "James doesn't normally attend. In fact I don't think he has ever attended." Abby was equally delighted to hear that Toni would be there.

"My Father would not miss it for the world." Toni told Abby. "It's golden opportunity to rub shoulders with all the great and the good, and network outrageously." Abby had got the impression that Toni was never too impressed by her Father's motives.

"Oh good, at least there will one friendly face there."

"So you don't count James as a friendly face?" Toni teased.

"Of course, but you know what I mean, a friendly face besides James." Abby moved on to the most pressing business.

"I am going to need something to wear, could you recommend a good shop?"

"Not around here, you will have to go to Taunton, or Exeter for something good. It does depend on what you want to spend."

"Well I suppose if I saw something I really liked up to seven or eight hundred."

Toni sat there with her mouth open.

"How much?"

"Don't you think that will be enough?"

"More than enough, but if you are thinking of spending that sort of money, you may even have to go to Bristol." Abby thought about it.

"Look, I could do with your help. Is there any chance you could come with me?"

"That's no problem. One advantage of having a Councillor for a Father, is that I can get time off for Civic duties, and this will count as a Civic duty."

"What helping me buy a dress?"

"Yes, as I am accompanying Dad to the Ball as his escort, my going to buy a dress for the occasion will count as Civic duty. He doesn't have to know that the dress is not for me, any way I might even buy one, but not for that sort of money."

"Well if you think it's all right. When do you think we can go?"

"The best day would be a Monday; the shops are never as busy, so we will have plenty of time. I think we should go to Taunton first, then Exeter; and if we have no joy at either of those, then we will have to go to Bristol. But we won't be able to get there the same day." Abby hesitated before saying that Monday week would be best, she would have opted for this Monday, but there was a possibility that she and James would be riding again, and that was not to be missed. With this decided they parted, exchanging telephone numbers as they did, Toni to return to work, and Abby to return to Combe Lyney.

The atmosphere at the Combe Inn that evening was of quiet curiosity, as James came in, and instead of making his usual chatty progress through the Bar, joined Abby in the Lounge immediately. Sam was a little put out, as he was enjoying his chats with Abby, but Mary made it plain that he should not interfere; even though she had no idea why they had closeted themselves so quickly. For whatever reason, she would encourage their closeness, knowing that Mavis would back her to the hilt.

James started the negotiation.

"Have you thought seriously about this? I wouldn't want to hold you to something said on the spur of the moment."

"Yes I have, and the more I think about it the more I like the idea. But have you checked that you do actually own the land?"

"I phoned my Family Solicitor early today, he seems to think that what you say is correct, he even phoned back later to say that his records would appear to confirm the Way leave, at the same time apologising profusely for not having brought this to my notice before. He will need to check with the Land Registry, and that will take some time, but it would all seem to be above-board. So what do you think you will do with the property?"

"I'm not sure yet, except that I want to convert the house to live in. I am toying with the idea of restoring the station to how it would have looked when my Grandfather was working there, but that's just a whim at the moment."

"O.K. First, I am sorry that I can't sell, but I know you do understand. So what I was thinking was a lease for ninety-nine years, at a Ground rent of Two hundred and ninety pounds per acre. We can do a survey and decide later how many acres you want. For the Station building I would be looking at a fully repairing lease for nineteen hundred per annum. I would also write into the contract a clause to the effect that should I, or my successors, ever decide to sell the land, you would have a first refusal to the property. Now you will have to realise that there is a tremendous amount of work and expense that will be required, and in view of that I have tried to keep the rents down to a minimum."

Abby looked pensive, trying to keep the look of delight off her face. Compared with the prices she was used to; and she knew it was an unfair comparison; this was a steal. She knew however that she would have to negotiate, or James would think it too easy.

"I would imagine that the price per acre you quote is for agricultural land." She reckoned that he would have simply looked at the rents he was charging to his other tenants. "As you yourself said the other day, the land is useless, except as an unofficial right of way for the Farmers, correct? So it is not agricultural land." James was astonished; this was not the discussion he had anticipated.

"Well no, but the rent is below that which would be usual for agricultural land anyway." Abby let that go for the moment. She had always found it a useful tactic to change the point of attack rather than looking for a compromise immediately.

"You ask for nineteen hundred for the building. Is that just the station building, or would it be all the buildings on the site?"

"Just the station building."

"And the platform?"

"Obviously the platform."

"I should want to take the other buildings, certainly the station house, and possibly the goods shed and the other house, would you be prepared to look at a package deal?"

"The station house possibly. But there could be a little bit of a problem. Since this new situation has arisen, it occurred to me that I may have a use for the goods shed, so I wouldn't want to commit on that now. The small house is in a very poor condition, I don't think you could do anything with it except knock it down."

Abby had to admire this tactic, by giving the goods shed a possible use, he had diverted her from asking for special terms on what in essence was an unwanted building.

"What about water and drainage?"

"There should be a well for water, and I suspect that there is a septic tank for waste. You don't need to pay for water, but there is a sewerage charge for emptying the tank."

"Right I will pay you the Nineteen hundred, but I would like you to include the station house as well." James set to thinking about this. Abby continued, "go on James." She urged him. "After all you will not get any rent off the place otherwise. And the house is essentially part of the station." James was going to deal anyway, but put on an air of sufferance.

"OK Abby, you have a deal."

"Would you be prepared to waive the buildings rent until such time as the building was fit for occupation?" Now James had to think.

"I could go along with that."

"What do I do about Power?"

"I am sure that SWEB will be happy to connect you, the Power lines run along the road anyway."

"The ground rent James, it is a little higher than I would have thought, particularly as the land is in effect useless, what do you say to two hundred and twenty pounds per acre? Don't forget I shall be improving your property." James groaned.

"I'll settle on two hundred and fifty, and buy you a drink to seal the deal." He shook his head, "where did you learn to negotiate?"

"It came with my territory, James. Now mine is a Vodka and Tonic, do we shake hands as well?" She offered her hand.

James took it and shook, but he had a grin on his face, that Abby knew spelt trouble.

"That grin tells me I've missed something. Come on, out with it, where's the catch."

"You will need change of use permission from the Council, they don't negotiate." Abby suddenly realised that she should have included that as part of James' responsibility. His smile broadened.

"You will meet some of the local Councillors at the Ball, so if you charm the right people I am sure that it won't be any problem."

"Oh I see; do I have to grease a few palms as well?"

"No, nothing as serious as that, just a smile in the right direction, a little flattery, and you'll be home and dry."

"I'll do my best, now where is that drink you promised me?"

James left for the bar, and Abby looking over her shoulder saw Sam looking curiously in her direction, she beckoned him over.

"I was going to come and see you earlier, but Mary reckoned that you should be left alone. If Mary and my Missus are up to something I shall get rather upset."

"No Sam, James and I had some business to discuss, and it looks as if you are not going to get rid of me that easily, I am going to take the old Station and house, and convert it to live in." The effect on Sam was tremendous, his face lit up, and the biggest smile split his face in two.

"By golly Girl, that's the best news I have had in years, I'm so happy. Let me buy you a drink to celebrate, oh just wait until Mavis hears." James returned with the drinks. Sam took one look at the drinks and said.

"That's no way to celebrate news like this, Jack's got some nice Champagne, that's what we need." He was off, leaving Abby and James looking at their suddenly redundant drinks. Moments later the voices at the bar rose to a crescendo as Sam obviously had imparted this news. Mary came rushing over with tears just starting in her eyes. She flung her arms around Abby, and burbled words, which appeared to convey her happiness.

Then standing back she accused Abby of not being content with staying at the Inn.

"Mary I have been very happy here; and I will stay for quite some time, if you'll have me, as it will take a long time to get the Station fit for occupation." Mary was somewhat mollified.

"Of course we will have you, there's no question of that." Sam had caught Abby saying that it would take some time to get the Station ready.

"You are right about that, the first thing will be to open it up, and get Harry Webster to put his Terriers in." Abby looked confused.

"What would that do?".

"Terriers will clear out any vermin in next to no time." James answered.

"Vermin? You mean Rats!"

"Not necessarily, but it's best to be sure."

This information gave Abby a little fright, and her expression gave her fears away. Sam leaned over and told her not to worry.

"Rats come with humans, they live off our waste, be it food or anything else. I would imagine that in London, there are more rats than you will ever find in the country, and I don't think that the old station has any at all, as nobody has lived there for years. Harry will be grateful though, for the chance to give his Terriers some exercise." James felt that he had to put a stop to the euphoria and planning, which might be a little premature. He coughed and cleared his throat.

"Let's not get too carried away, as Abby is aware that all this does depend on the Land Registry recognising that I own the property." Mary's mind went back to the conversation she had overheard, and all the pieces fell into place. She was not going to let a little thing like the Land Registry get in the way of her perception of the future. Therefore ignoring James' warning she went full steam ahead.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close