Abby - Cover

Abby

Copyright© April 2009 Texrep

Chapter 16

Reading Mr. Brasher's summary had helped Abby understand her Grandfather's work, but also had raised many other questions. Not so much as about his life and work, she realised that was something she could never fully appreciate, but more about the line itself. She wanted to put substance to the places about which she had read. It occurred to her that James' suggestion that riding along the old track-bed would provide a much better viewpoint to appreciate the valley and the line in that context. She determined to ask him at the earliest opportunity. She also wanted to know what happened to the other people mentioned, Reg Purvess, Alfred Anson, and Bob Fairworthy. Perhaps she could ask Sam again, although she felt he would probably be heartily sick of her questions by now.

That evening Sam and Mavis didn't come into the Combe Inn, Mary explained that they had gone to Molton to visit Mavis's sister, who was not that well. James did however, and although he made a show of talking to everybody, he gradually made his way along the Bar to Abby, who forsaking the Lounge had occupied a corner and was talking to Jack and Mary, whenever he was not pulling pints, and she was not darting off here and there. When James arrived at Abby's side, Jack and Mary both found work to do at the other end of the Bar. Well in truth Mary found work for them both, almost dragging Jack away; she was beside herself with glee, it was rare that James came in two nights running, and the thought of phoning Mavis to report this added to her delight. Of course she wouldn't just come out with it, this was gossip to be savoured, and teased out of her, all the while frustrating Mavis who as ever would want to come straight to the point. Eventually Mary's curiosity got the better of her, and taking advantage of the fact that James' Pint was in need of re-filling, she moved down to where they were talking.

She was disappointed in that the conversation revolved around little more than the rain that had deluged the valley that day. Mary reached over and indicated James' mug.

"Yes please, Mary, would you like another drink?" He enquired of Abby.

"Thanks, can I have a Vodka and Tonic?"

"And a Vodka and Tonic for Abby." he repeated the order to Mary, who, in order that she could overhear as much of their conversation without appearing rude, pulled James' pint, and poured Abby's Vodka as slowly as she could, and was delighted to hear, when Abby asked if she could take up James' offer of riding along the track bed.

"Of course," he replied, "although I did wonder if riding Jason for the first time, might not have put you off." He grinned. Abby had felt some muscle strain from the saddle, but she was damned if she would admit it to James.

"Not at all, I quite enjoyed the experience, and I think that you were right when you said, riding the old line will be much more informative than driving, or even walking." Abby deliberately deferred to his superior knowledge, something that she had rarely done with any man before, but an innate feminine instinct told her that this was the right thing to do. James nodded, pleased that his advice had been accepted. Mary was aware of what Abby had done, and inwardly congratulated her. James of course did not realise that the flattery had been a little false, and accepted the comment as a true admission of his good judgement.

"Well, when would you like to do it, I'm afraid that tomorrow is out, I have to go to Taunton, but Friday would be fine, if that suits you?" Friday would suit Abby well; it would give her an extra twenty-four hours to recover from the slight Saddle soreness that yesterday's outing had left her with. Mary had been listening and felt that she could offer something.

"As you will probably be out for most of the day, would you like me to put up some sandwiches and a flask?" Abby looked at James for guidance.

"Will we be out that long?" He thought they would.

"There's no point in hurrying, and there is a lot to see, so I think yes, we will be out for most of the day." Abby turned to Mary.

"That would be very kind of you, Mary. Are you sure it's no bother?" Mary was aghast at the suggestion that a few sandwiches and a flask of tea; would be a bother, although her mind was already working on a suitable menu. Bother? This was grist to her mill.

Later in her room, Abby thought that perhaps she should write to Mr. Brasher, thanking him for the information he had sent. She had brought her Lap Top Computer with her, and normally would have emailed, but she doubted that Mr. Brasher had even heard of the Internet, much less having an Email address. Heaving a sigh, she, drew out the few sheets of writing paper she possessed and began to write. She chuckled gently to herself; this place really had got to her, now she was communicating just as her Grandfather had done way back in the forties and fifties.

Abby drove into Paverton the next day, to post the letter, and also to drop in on Toni. Timing her visit right, she was just in time to catch Toni on her way for Morning Coffee. Toni was delighted and grabbing Abby's arm, hurried her across the road to the Café.

"Now bring me up to date, have you learned anything new?" Abby once more had to go through the story of her resignation, leaving out details of the financial nature of her severance, and telling Toni all about Mr. Brasher's story, including the background of the valley railway. Toni laughed upon hearing the accurate history.

"So much for the Librarian's history!" She commented. "And how are you getting on with James Comberford." The question came out of the blue, and took Abby by surprise.

"How do you mean? Getting on with James." Toni's eyes twinkled.

"Well you did say before, that you had talked to him once or twice, and word has reached what passes for society in these parts that James has become friendly with someone new to the area, and you referred to him simply as James, which would indicate a little more than a passing acquaintance." Abby's face blushed a bit, and she smiled.

"I suppose that we have struck up a friendship." Toni laughed triumphantly.

"I knew it. And of course you have put one or two noses out of joint. But are you sure it is just a friendship?" Abby shook her head.

"Don't read anything into that. Although I am going to be around for a month or two, I shall have to earn a living, and that is something I can't do in Combe Lyney; so eventually I shall be leaving. There's no future for me here."

She paused, and feminine curiosity overcame her.

"Any way whose noses have I put out of joint?"

"There are some who had hopes in that direction."

"Not you surely, Toni?"

"Oh good God no, I want to get out of this place, not get myself mired in, and we know that James will never leave here now." Again. The emphasis on the "now". Abby was determined to get to the bottom of this.

"That's the second time I have heard that said. Is there a story there?" Toni looked at her in surprise.

"Well you know he was in the Army, don't you?"

"No, I didn't."

"Yes, he was in the Parachute Regiment. Went through the Falklands War, and got himself Decorated. He came back, and resigned his commission. From what I can gather, he doesn't like travelling further than Taunton now. I don't know what happened to him out there, but something obviously did." Without thought Abby muttered.

"Oh poor James." Toni kept her thoughts to herself, upon hearing the comment. Whatever Abby said her feelings were perhaps a little more than just friendship.

Abby drove back to Combe Lyney, knowing that she had not told the truth. She did not need to earn a living; she needed to earn a Life. Combe Lyney was seducing her. The location, the people, and more than those; as if they weren't enough, her roots were beguiling her to stay. She discounted James as a reason. He was charming, amusing, and good company, but Abby had managed to get through without a Man as part of her life. She had some occasional adventures, which were mildly diverting, but they had never been more than that, perhaps because she had never committed totally in her mind to the relationships. Consequently her life had been one of hard work, coupled with a detached observation. She was part of life, but never affected by it. Here for the first time that attitude was changing. She was conceiving a love for the valley, and the people who lived here. They accepted her and involved her in their community, without asking for favours or help. Without thinking she drove straight through the village and along to the old station. Unconsciously she had become used to this place as somewhere she could think, perhaps hoping that her Grandfather's ghost would still be around to help her deliberations. Abby would have been amused to realise that others had noticed this behaviour, and approved. Mavis and Mary had discussed this, after Sam had reported her frequent visits to the site.

"The Girl needs somewhere to think." Said Mavis, "and where better than the place her mother grew up. Leave her be, is what I say, and let her make her decisions in peace." This was, of course, ironic coming from Mavis who was determined that Abby should assume a place in the village that she Mavis had elected for her, a situation that at this moment had never entered Abby's head. Mary without guile had pointed out to Mavis, 'yes that's alright, as long as she makes her mind up the way you think it ought to be.' Mavis nodded, unaffected by the sarcasm.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close