Avril's Knight - Cover

Avril's Knight

Copyright© 2015 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 25

One by one the priests and priestesses start coming back in and re-lighting the torches.

Avril falls into Roy's arms and Roy says, "You did it!"

"We did it!" she corrects.

"Aye, Princess, we did it."

Because many people are standing nearby, Avril whispers into Roy's ear, "Roy, I want you to know that if I was not pre-betrothed to another by destiny, I could think of no other I would want to spend my life with, other than you."

"Yeah, about that."

"What?"

"Well, first of all thank you, Princess, and I love you too, but there is something else I have been keeping from you."

"Now what?"

"I am the King of Montgomery."

"What?" she asks, as if she didn't believe what she just heard.

"I am Clifford MacDoom, King of Montgomery." Roy can hear Mary crying in the background.

"I don't understand." she says, crying, but trying hard to grasp onto this new reality.

"I wanted no part of a destiny that would force a girl to marry a man she didn't know or love. So I thought we could take the travel time and get to know each other in anonymity, and then if you didn't like me I would release you from your duty.

"I am sorry for the subterfuge, but I felt it was necessary. It is also the main reason why The Council and me don't get along. They are angry at me because I wasn't going to go through with the destiny if we didn't like each other."

"That little boy that came to visit all so long ago, that was you?"

"Hi, babygirl." Roy, nope Cliff, says with a smile.

"And the King who sent a dragon for Mary, that was you, too?"

"I thought having your dear friend here would make things easier for you, and I know you've been worrying about her every since she got hurt."

"And that little girl you said that you met in her village that you knew then that she was who you are supposed to be with, that was, that was..."

"That was you, babygirl."

Avril thinks about it for a second, and then hits Cliff on the arm saying, "Stupid!" And then she flies into his arms and begins to cry joyfully.

Then the High Priest and High Priestess come forward and he says, "I'm sorry, sir, but did I hear you say you are the King of Montgomery?"

"Yes."

"Wonderful, we can start the marriage ceremony."

Avril turns to him and asks, "Please, just give us a minute."

"Mistress, I really must insist!"

Cliff turns to the High Priest, with his hand resting on the hilt of his sword and says, "The Princess said give us just a minute."

"Well, if it is that important to you, we can do it later." and then he turns around and walks away.

"I still don't understand."

"You don't understand why I did what I did?"

"No, I get that and thank you, but everywhere we went everybody knew you as Roy. Who is Roy?"

"Roy Bane MacDoom was my big brother, and was killed on a hunting trip when we were just boys. I use his name because it honors his memory. The reason why nobody seemed to know me, is because the ones that do know me I sent him or her messages by eye contact and movement that I was not going as the king. It is something I have done most of my life. Except for the King and Queen of the Highlander Clans, I went to them in secret and talked to them before you met them.

"Other than the king of the dwarves and some of The Council, almost everybody knows me as Roy. I have never grasped power and really want no part of it, that is why I let my sister Elizabeth rule."

"Elizabeth is your sister?"

"Yes." All this new knowledge is starting to make her head spin.

"You could have still told me after it was apparent we cared about each other."

"Yes, that is true. I actually did tell you when I first met you after the scepter got stolen."

"No, you didn't!"

"Yes, I did. I told you I was the leader of the Clans of the Northern Warlords."

Once again Avril's mouth his hanging open. "But? Ah, uh, son of a..."

It still hasn't completely sunk in what all this means, so Cliff reaches over and gently places his hands on each side of her head and tenderly kisses her lips. This time he lingers there for the longest time.

And then Avril throws her arms around Cliff and says, "Oh my god, you are King Clifford!" Cliff just smiles.

They are now standing there staring into each other's misty eyes, and then Cliff bends down on one knee and takes Avril's hand. "Princess Avril Serene of Azure, soon to be Queen of Perennial, will you marry me?"

"Yes." Avril squeals. It echoes around the Ceremony Hall.

Then she half sits half cuddles into his kneeling lap and says, "My Knight."

As they are gazing into each other's eyes, Roy asks, "Are you mad that I didn't tell you everything upfront."

"I know it had to wound your honor to do so, but I understand and greatly appreciate your decision. I cannot believe that not only do I get to marry a great knight, a powerful wizard, and the most respected king in Zebrina, but I get to marry my best friend too."

The High Priest comes back over and clears his throat, and Avril looks up at him and nods her head yes. The High Priest claps his hands together to get everybody moving to prepare for the wedding.

Wiping away the tears in his own eyes, Cliff says, "Marvelous."

Avril gets up from Cliff's lap and starts looking around for Mary. Avril holds out her hand to her and as she is walking towards them, Avril says, "Mary, did you hear? Roy is really Clifford, the king of Montgomery."

"Yes, I heard." says Mary, with tears running freely down her cheeks. Cliff gets up and hugs and kisses Mary.

"Mistress, we must get you into your wedding dress." Avril first looks at the priestess and then Cliff, who shrugs his shoulders and glances down at the form fitting silk one she already has on.

Avril nods her head and says, "I like the dress I already have on. Never again will I have to be separated from my knight, my king, my husband." She says that last part just beaming. "Gather your wedding ceremony, we will be in the kitchen. I am starving!"

"Ah, I knew I loved you."

And then Avril stops and it dawns on her she never officially said it. "Roy, I mean Clifford. I'm sorry, I'll get it straight."

"Don't worry about it, babygirl. We endured much together as you knowing me as Roy, so never will that name go far from your heart and mind."

"Clifford, I want you to know I never thought I could love someone as much as I love you. In truth I guess I kind of prepared myself to live without it just in case it wasn't part of my destiny. That is why I completely understand what you did, and I will never be able to repay that sacrifice to your honor that you did for me." Avril's eyes flood with tears. "I really, truly, love you."

Cliff hugs her hard and then says to her, "Forever have I known that my future was supposed to be set. I always hated that and ran from it. I could never believe that in running from that I would run straight to you and fall so madly in love that now I know I was put on this world for something other than being a warrior. I was put on this world to love you, and I promise every minute of every day you will know you are loved."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close