Avril's Knight - Cover

Avril's Knight

Copyright© 2015 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 21

Their first hint that something is not right is the sound of battle off in the far distance.

As they are sitting atop their horses trying to stretch so they can see further over the horizon, they notice several huge dust clouds coming their way.

"We do not have the time to risk delay, Avril. Whoever that might be, it will be in our best interest to turn southwest and head towards the Realm of the Spirit Warriors."

Just as Avril is about to agree, a long column of desert riders are bearing down on them and they are obviously not friendly.

Roy knows they will have to take Avril hostage, for she is the only one who can wield the Scepter of Power to save the world, but they will have no problem killing him, which doesn't matter because he will die long before he lets these fools put their dark intent filled hands on this beautiful woman riding at his side.

Roy and Avril draw their swords. Roy's sword rings with power while Avril's flames fiercely, but they laugh at the pitiful show of force so they clasp hands and start to pool their magical powers.

Just as the desert riders are about to reach them, from out of the west comes the second dust storm and it is soldiers from the kingdom of Fleece. They plow right into the desert wanderers and a huge battle erupts. The ring of steel on steel and the grunts of men signals that hope still lingers.

In the middle of the battle one of soldiers of the Fleecian Army comes riding towards them. Short of breath he gasps out, "The Wanderers have invaded us. We know who you are and they have come for you. There are many big armies fighting all through this region and west of here.

"You must turn south or southwest, and work your way around to the City of Divinity. There the Kingdom of Lavigne is waiting with near their entire army to escort you to the world's destiny. May the graces of the gods go with." and with that the soldier turns around and charges back into the battle.

"Thank you." Avril yells to the soldier, though there is no way he can hear her.

"Let's go." They turn their horses southwest and kick them hard in the flanks.

Even in danger, Roy admires Avril's beauty and grace. As they are riding with their heads tucked down by the horse's necks, riding hard, Roy looks over and sees Avril long straight hair flowing out in a streamer of glory and pride, and wait, is that a streak of purple Roy sees?

"A new color. What could it mean?" Roy is starting to have fun figuring out Avril's hair color changes. Then Roy sees Avril glance over at him, and her wonder hits him full force as she smiles at him regally.


By nightfall all sounds of battle have long since faded. They once again are moving along at a wise peaceful pace.

As they are riding along the moon is giving off a strong illumination, and since they are riding directly towards it Avril's face is aglow. Though Roy sees her natural angelic grace, he also sees a gloom that can be more dangerous than all the armies combined. From out of her wild hair she tries to give Roy a smile, but it is strained and sad.

"Who did it?"

"Did what?" asks Avril, a little confused.

"Who did it? I will kill them!"

"Did what?" she repeats in elongated squeaky words.

"Stole your smile. How dare they!"

"Oh, you nut." she says, giggling.

"Whew, there it is. That was close."

"I know what you are doing."

"Not very subtle, huh!"

"No." Avril says, smiling. "But thank you for caring."

"That I do, lass, that I do." says Roy, riding closer and taking her hand for a second and giving it a squeeze.

"Roy?"

"Yes, darling girl."

"Why is all of this happening? Since the thousand years that the Scepter of Power has been made, I never heard of stories like what is happening now."

"Me neither, Av, but if I had to guess, I would say the universe knows what it is doing. It gave us the ability to create the Scepter of Power to protect our world as it goes through the asteroid field every hundred years, and it gave us you. If these things were going to happen it is a good thing they are happening now, because you are strong enough to handle it and to save us."

Avril gives an almost sarcastic chuckle and says, "If it weren't for you, I..."

"No!" Roy says stopping her. "This is your time, this your command and your beautiful spirit is what has seen us through."

Avril seems ready to argue, but she lets it goes and falls into silence.

And then to the west of them, just skirting the atmosphere of the world Perennial, comes a medium sized comet as it glows brightly orange as it skirts and burns up in the atmosphere.

"They seem to be starting early."

Avril turns to Roy a little concerned. "Yeah, and that one was pretty big." A moment later a host of smaller ones go streaking through the sky.

"Let's just stay on the move so we can get there, save the world, and you can become Queen of Perennial."

Avril gets a sour look on her pretty sharp features face and says, "My life is going to change so much after all of this."

"True. But you will always be Avril Serene, Princess of Azure, and you will always be the greatest honor of my life."

Avril looks at Roy with tears in her eyes, but all she can do is nod her head in agreement. Now that they have pulled their eyes from the skies they realize they are riding through ancient ruins, glistening white in the moonlight like teeth from a long dead skull.

As they are making their way through the ruins following the trail laid out hundreds and hundreds of years before, because in order for this great society to have been built here in the rocky rolling hills of the Kingdom of Fleece, they had to plateau the land. With many rock walls still showing the outline of each buildings terrace.

As they are riding up a particularly long and step hill and after they reach the top, Avril points and says, "Roy, look! In amongst those ruins over there, there is a fire burning."

"That's strange."

"It is, why?"

"There aren't a lot of trees and wood around here to burn."

"Oh, yeah! What do you think?"

"I say we investigate another wonder of our world."

"Roy."

"Yeah, Av."

"I know what we have been doing is serious and there have been many dangers, but I just want to thank you again because I've really had fun with you. If I am going to be defined by my destiny after all this is finished, I am glad my last moments of freedom are with you."

Roy is touched beyond words, and he knows exactly what it is to be defined by others expectations. "Me too, darling girl. Me too."

As they ride up towards the fire, all that remains of the ruins is the base rock and pillars of white marble shooting skyward, with many of them still having cross stones going from one to another atop them.

Avril and Roy stop just outside the rectangular outline of the remnants of a once spectacular dynasty. They ride through where the entrance once stood gloriously, but now only a header piece is being supported by several pillars which outlines the grand entrance, still welcoming all who wish to make their way across it and into its divine history.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close