Avril's Knight - Cover

Avril's Knight

Copyright© 2015 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 17

The King says, "The boys will escort you as far as they can. Soon you will not be able to ride the horses, as the Brittle Mountains become very steep and rugged, so they will bring your stuff back here until you have fulfilled your destiny. Good luck."

The Queen can see the look in Avril's eyes and says, "Fear not, child, I will take good care of your pretty clothes until you return for them."

"Oh, thank you, Ann." Since they will soon be on foot they are only taking one outfit each. Avril will wear her new gold tartan skirt with the black and gold leggings, but she will take her other long sleeve black shirt, as it is thicker material, and she has her white tank top shirt underneath that. Plus she is taking her brown leather coat, for even in the spring and summer the temperatures get cold that high in the mountains. Roy is of course wearing his brown battle leathers. Also he carries his pack.

"You ready, babygirl?"

"Absolutely."

As soon as they leave the city of Scotland they turn east southeast. Even though they are already at almost four thousand feet of elevation, the Brittle Mountains tower before them.

Roy can see Avril going wide-eyed at the thought of climbing them, so he reassuringly says, "Avril, the Brittle Mountains go up to twelve thousand feet in elevation, which is far too high for us to go, but luckily they are riddled with caves, tunnels and valleys, and that is how we will travel in them.

"That is where most people believe the Scepter of Power has been taken. Besides all the natural hiding places in the mountains, the thick rock walls will also keep the Amulet of Direction's powers blocked until we get much closer."

"Why do you think somebody stole the Scepter of Power? If we can't find it, all life on Perennial will be killed. It makes no sense."

"Well, the asteroid field that we fly through every hundred years will make life on the surface unlivable, but it won't permanently destroy the planet. However there are two species that can survive because they don't require food and air. Both the Bolo Shades and the Shimmerings are energy beings.

"Now the Shimmerings are inherently good, and would never be apart of causing harm to others, in fact they spend most of their time keeping a watchful eye on the Bolo Shades.

"Originally I thought maybe the Realm of the Wanderers took it to use as leverage to have more access to the City of Divinity, but the more time that passes the less likely that is."

"Have you ever seen a Bolo Shade or Shimmering?"

"Yes, I've seen both. Shimmerings are wonderful beings, and being around them makes the air feel lighter and the day brighter, metaphorically of course. Now Bolo Shades emanate malice, and have no love or patience for non-energy beings. The cloaked shaded bastards love to haunt and scare people. Almost every story you've heard about ghosts, demons or angels was either Bolo Shades or Shimmerings."

Roy keeps talking about whatever comes to mind, for it helps make the stretches and leagues pass by.

Finally, after a moment of silence, Avril turns to Roy and asks, "Do you think King Clifford is thinking of me now?"

"It may have been as children, pretty girl, but he has met you, so yes I believe he is thinking of you and wishing the very best for our efforts. However, sweetheart, can I tell you one thing about your betrothed?"

"Of course! I want you to tell me many things about him and many things about everything else, because since I have been with you I've grown exponentially."

"Ah, babygirl, you are such a sweetheart. Anyway, he really does not like to be called King Clifford or King Cliff."

"He doesn't? What does he like to be called, then?"

"Either just Clifford, Cliff or the King of Montgomery. He thinks being called King Clifford is too damn pompous. He is very down to Perennial. You two should like each other very much."

"Hmm," Avril says, becoming thoughtful.

The Brittle Mountains are very old, rugged and steep. Even after generations of people journeying to them, the trail is still dangerous and exhausting. They make camp early, and the twins Jeff and Angus Gordon do their best to keep Avril laughing and in good spirits, which Roy is eternally grateful for. Days slowly pass.

It is about midday of the fifth day when they reach a level of the mountains that the horses can no longer tread. "We're here!"

Avril looks around, not really seeing anything, but starts to dismount anyway.

Jeff turns to Roy and says, "Brother, I will journey with you if you so desire."

Roy is thinking about it, but it is Avril that answers him, "Thank you, Jeffrey, but it is our destiny, and the more belief we put into that, the more that positive energy will work for us."

Jeff and Angus are looking on unconvinced until Roy says to them, "Avril is of the Ophelia Coven, and my trust in her is complete."

As Roy moves forward to shake Jeff and Angus's hands, Avril is looking at him with love filled eyes. Then she smiles sadly with moist eyes and gathers what supplies they can carry.

As the twins are riding off, Angus says over his shoulder, "Roy! Don't forget about Wolf Valley." Roy nods his head as they ride off.

"What is Wolf Valley?"

"As I have done since I first looked into your eyes, I believe there is nothing you cannot conquer, so I will tell you what we may or may not run into. There are two human tribes that live in the Wolf Valley."

"How do they survive so high up?"

Roy smiles because he loves her sharp mind. "Because they are werewolves. Now, most of the time they are just people wanting to live their lives and to be left alone. In fact Cliff, the King of Montgomery, has made a treaty with them so that they stay in their mountains and we don't go up there and kill them.

"The problem is going to come that we are going to be in these mountains for the next full moon, and with that time there will be three days that they turn into werewolves and will kill and eat anything they see. With any luck our travels will lead us away from them, but if not, we must be prepared."

"I thought we fought well together."

"Yes, we did, babygirl, and there is no other I would trust at my back as I go into battle than you." Once again Avril is beaming.

Roy smiles also, and then takes a deep breath and turns around and points up to a high ledge about a hundred paces above them. "See that ledge?"

"Uh huh!"

"One of the entrances into the cave and tunnel system that perforates the Brittle Mountains is there."

Avril looks up at it for a second and then says, "Well, come on, what are you waiting for?"

As Avril is making her way, Roy watches her go and admires beyond all ability how pretty and adorable she looks in her outfit, but he just hopes it is a workable outfit for the mountains, caves and tunnels.

"How'ya do, Av?"

"I'm okay." she says, as she strains to lift herself up to the next ledge in a series of ledges that lead to the main ledge they are heading for. "But my arms and legs are really getting tired."

They are stuck out on the mountain face in between ledges, so Roy climbs up to where he positions himself right on top of Avril, pinning her between himself and the mountains. Once Roy gets a strong footing and hand holds, he tells Avril, "Alright, sweetheart, I want you to let go with your arms, and instead of holding yourself with your legs I want you to lean back into me."

"No! You could fall."

"Avril, I have been climbing these mountains and lifting weights since I was a boy. I can handle another hundred and five stonelings for a minute."

"Are you sure?"

"Aye."

"Okay, but you tell me when you get tired."

"Okay, and you tell me when your arms and legs are rested."

"Okay," she says in a tone of voice that almost sounds like she is not holding up her end of the workload.

Then Avril puts her trust and life in Roy again and leans softly back into him. The warmth and tenderness of her trust and body makes Roy forget about the growing pain in his arms.

"Okay, I'm good to go."

"Alright, babygirl, after you."

They climb up to the next to last ledge and rest for a moment. There is very little space and they want to keep a secure hold on each other, so Roy sits down with his legs hanging over the ledge, and Avril sits down next to him sideward and lays her legs over Roy's thighs. Roy takes his right arm and wraps it securely around Avril's waist and holds her close.

After they get their breath back and the screaming from their arms and legs subsides, they prepare to get underway. The final ledge is only seven feet above them so Roy pulls himself up and reaches down for Avril. With is right arm he gets a secure hold on the mountains and with his left arm he reaches down and grabs Avril's wrist while she clamps on with both hands. Once again, when Roy pulls Avril up with one arm, her hair turns momentarily blonde with an extra streak of pink.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close