Avril's Knight - Cover

Avril's Knight

Copyright© 2015 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 15

The Highland Mountains waste no time in going for elevation. The four of them, with Briar flying overhead, have had a long journey, but at last the capital city of the Kingdom of the Highlander Clans comes into view.

"Welcome, Princess, to the city of Scotland."

"It is marvelously beautiful. I love how it is made out of the same darker gray stone that comes from this area of the Brittle Mountains, no doubt."

"Aye, Mistress, it is one of the oldest castles in Zebrina. Come, mother and father will be wanting to meet you."

As the foursome make their way through the thirty foot high, eight foot thick outer wall, they are immediately met with the smells, sights and sounds of a bustling city. Avril is marveling at the craftsmanship and the beautiful people.

"Roy, look at the skirt on that woman. It is so pretty, and shorter than I've ever seen."

"Aye, Mistress, the winters run so long and harsh up here, that the short period we do have warm weather our queen figures the girls should get to enjoy it to its fullest whilst it is here."

"Oh, it is marvelous." Roy is smiling, and already has ideas running through his head.

At last they reach the home of the king and queen of the Highlander Clans. It is more in the fashion of her castle back in Azure, in that it does not have its own outer wall separating it from the walled city.

They walk up the steps that lead up into a walkway supported by columns that have pictures of knights and animals carved into them. They walk the fifteen paces through the archway, and come to the massive wooden doors that also have grand scenes carved into them.

Angus pushes open the huge wooden doors in grand fashion. As they creak open he says, "Welcome, Princess Avril, to the home of Queen Ann and King Wallace."

"Oh, it is very beautiful." It is also very understated. There is no huge welcoming hall. There is a medium sized open area with a long hallway that disappears further back into the castle. Off to the left is a set of modest but artful steps, winding their way upward to the three other floors.

As Avril is look at the many carved doors that lead to various rooms, Roy leans over and whispers something to Jeff and Jeff nods his head, and then Roy says, "Forgive me, but I have to refresh myself. I will be right back." and then he disappears into the door on the left, which actually is a library, but Roy knows of a secret passage that leads up to the higher floors.

Roy double times it up the stairs and goes and finds the king and queen. "Queen Ann, it is always the most grandest of moments to see you again."

"Oh, always the sweet talker." she says, giving him a hug.

"King Wallace, a pleasure always."

"Aye, son, how are things going?"

"Progressing well, I believe. I have a favor to ask."

"Ask it and it shall be granted, brother."

"I have yet to tell Princess Avril of my true purpose in our destinies, so if you will just go along with that."

"Of course." they say, a little confused.

Just before Roy turns to leave he says to Queen Ann, "Ann, on our way in here Princess Avril saw a skirt that had a little shorter hemline and she thought it was beautiful. I had bought her a marvelous necklace to give to her, but the Ferryman took it as payment for retrieving the Spear of Light, so I would like to give her some other presents."

"Yes, you and the princess's exploits are spreading across the continent like wild fire."

"She is one hell of a woman, Ann. I think you two will like each other very much. For that same reason, we stopped by and I introduced her to Princess Elizabeth."

"Does Princess Avril know who Princess Elizabeth is?"

"No." After Roy starts heading down the secret stairs, the king and queen look at each other, as old married couples will do, and without a single word being spoken volumes are said.

"Okay, all refreshed," says Roy, coming out of the library.

"Greetings, Princess Avril of Azure," says the king from atop the second floor landing as he and the queen make their way down. The king is wearing a brown tunic with a puffy hat, and the queen is wearing a full-length short sleeve gown in antique gold.

"Mother, father, this is of course Princess Avril, and Roy you of course know. Princess Avril, this is Queen Ann and King Wallace."

"It is an honor, Queen Ann and King Wallace." Avril says, doing a curtsy.

"No child, the honor is ours." and then Queen Ann gives Princess Avril a sincere hug and smile.

"So, Princess Avril, did Prince Jeffrey and Prince Angus behave themselves? You know how boys can be." But instead of looking at his boys the king looks at Roy.

"They were wonderful, sire. You should be proud." Both Jeff and Angus Gordon stick their chests out, beaming.

"So, how long will you be staying?" The queen asks Avril, but Avril looks to Roy.

"Just for the night, I am afraid. We still have a long ways to travel, and we are still not sure what tasks lay ahead of us. We want to get everything squared away so we can have Avril in the City of Divinity with plenty of time to spare."

"Well, for the night anyway you are ours. We will have a grand dinner and we will give you each some very comfortable quarters to sleep in. Then we will again feed you well before you head off in the morning."

"That is most gracious, Ann." But as Roy is saying that, Avril is looking at him with pleading eyes, because she has not been away from Roy's side for over a month now. She is not sure if she can sleep without him near.

Roy sees the look, but they will have to endure because nothing gets through the nations like royal intrigue and scandal.

"Come, we will show you to your rooms so you can freshen up before dinner." Queen Ann takes Princess Avril by the arm and starts leading her up the stairs.

As they are going, Avril looks back over her shoulder for Roy. "Go ahead, Princess, I will check in on you momentarily."

Well accustomed to putting up a strong front, Avril turns to Queen Ann and says, "Your gown is most lovely."

"Oh, thank you, dear." the Queen says, smiling knowingly.

As Queen Ann and Princess Avril disappear upstairs, King Wallace, Prince Jeffrey and Prince Angus turn and look at Roy with raised eyebrows, but they don't say anything.

But Roy does, "I know. I know."


As Roy is relaxing in his room there is knock at the door. "Enter."

"Sir knight, I have a couple of gifts for you to give to the Princess."

Roy jumps off the bed and walks over to Queen Ann. Queen Ann pulls several things out of a cloth bag. "Princess Avril looks to be a smaller size than me, and I'm several marks taller, but I think these should fit her nicely."

"She seemed to marvel at the shorter hemline, and since these were made for someone several marks taller won't that make these longer on her?"

"Thank you, precious boy, but Queen Ann's waist has been nowhere near as petite as Princess Avril's is for a long time now. I sent a servant girl out to buy them from the market. I hope they fit her."

Queen Ann lays out a pair of black and gold leggings in the argyle patterns, then she pulls out a golden tartan skirt, which on Avril will be a little over half way between her hip and knees, and then Ann pulls out a beautiful black silk long sleeve shirt that has golden patterns inlaid into it.

"Oh, that is beautiful!"

"We have a new style of dress that the girls seem to love. We call it a summer dress." Queen Ann pulls out a pristine white cotton sleeveless dress.

The dress has the same type top of Avril's white sleeveless shirt that Avril had called a tank top style, but the straps on the dress are four times wider. The hemline should rest about three marks above Avril's knees.

"Oh, Queen Ann, these are most beautiful and Princess Avril will shine in them."

"You care for her?"

"Very much."

"Well, I guess that is good."

"Aye."

"I guess you know what you are doing."

Roy looks Queen Ann in her beautiful green eyes for the longest time, until tears come to his own eyes. "I hope so."

"So does the world."

"Aye."

"Well, great knight, dinner will be ready in about an hour."

As Queen Ann is walking out the door, Roy stops her. "Ann?"

"Hmm."

"Thank you." The Queen smiles and walks back over and gives Roy a hug. Roy and her boys have spent a lot of time together, and she looks at Roy as another one of her children.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close