Avril's Knight - Cover

Avril's Knight

Copyright© 2015 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 12

"City of Wizards, here we come."

Avril and Roy have just crossed over the river that feeds Lake Hisperia. "We'll reach the border of the Realm of the Magical Ones about sun high, and then from there it will take us another good day and half a night's riding to reach their main city."

"The land sure is beautiful around here, with the lake on our left and the mountains on our right. I really like how the woodlands open up now and again and you can see open patches." admires Avril.

"I remember a place near the border of my kingdom and the Realm of the Magical Ones. One moment you are riding in the thick woodlands and then it opens up to a natural pasture with flowers everywhere.

"Then as you look towards the City of Wizards, even though you can't see the city yet, the land rolls away from you and looks as if you can step off the meadow and walk on the trees.

"We will have to go an hour out of our way, but would you like to make our first camp there?"

"Oh yes, Roy, that sounds marvelous."

Roy is riding on the right side of Avril, and Avril is gazing off to the left looking out across the lake. However Roy is not admiring the lake, Roy is admiring Avril.

With her long straight brunette hair, the part slightly off center for the moment, her exquisite petite body that is once again adorned with her royal blue tartan skirt that rests two marks above her knees when she is standing, her royal blue leggings and her long sleeve black shirt. Her short thin legs wrapped around the brown saddle and her brown calf-length riding boots are tucked into the stirrups.

With every lope the horse takes, her hips sway. Her dainty but powerful arms are so full of strength and ability. It is true, as she sits there on her horse, her skirt rides up a bit, but Roy would not, does not need to, sneak any dishonorable looks her way, for there is a truth between them that is comfortable, honorable and most definitely intimate.

"Avril?"

"Hmm," she says, turning his way with her beautiful blue eyes shinning from her sharp-featured face. Once again she takes Roy's breath away.

"I'm going to tell you some things, and I hope you take them in the manner they are meant."

Avril takes a big gulp before saying, "Okay." Her eyes look as if she both wants to hear and doesn't want to hear certain things.

"Avril, I am grateful that I met you." She nods her head while fighting tears in her eyes and a smile on her face. "And I am proud of you. Even though there is a growing affection between us," Avril takes in a quick breath. "You have maintained your honor with grace and beauty. Once a bond of trust formed between us, you did not hesitate in sharing your beauty and wonder with me. Thank you."

"Roy, in a life of service there is grace and duty, and we are bound to both. If perhaps I was not pre-ordained, pre-betrothed, already promised to another, I would find it easy to ... to..." Avril gives up and tries another thought. "I too am glad I met you. And even though the world is in grave danger, you have kept me smiling and laughing, and on my toes."

Then shocking the princess, Roy says, "It must be hard to have to marry a man you don't know."

"I met him once when we were both kids."

"Did you?"

"Hmm. He was nice and wanted to have fun, but I was always so prim and proper, even way back then, or perhaps especially way back then. I have accepted my duty, and it is the destiny of the Protector of the Scepter of Power to marry the most powerful king on the continent."

"Yes, I know the legacy."

"Do you?"

"Hmm."

"I wonder what kind of man that little sweet hearted boy has become? You know, I kept saying his name over and over, Clifford, Clifford, Clifford, so much that it has become my favorite name, and it has even taken on an almost mystical aura."

"The King of Montgomery is a great warrior and he treats his people how they treat people. Those that live their lives with honor are left alone to enrich a world that would sometimes be better off without people."

"Do you really believe that, sir knight?"

"I have seen many horrible and petty things, and my belief in that would rear its ugly head from time to time, but for some reason when I'm around you all thoughts of negativity are not to be found."

"Oh, wow, that is weird, because for me I'm always so serious, but when I'm around you I feel safe enough, free enough, to be open with myself and you. To be a warrior, to be a pretty girl, to be a princess, and not have those things be contradictions and make me out to be a freak. I am so glad I met you, too, and I hope we can be friends for a long time."

"Yes, that is what this journey is about."

"What?"

"Yes, I hope that, too."

They fall into silence; both gladdened and saddened, and ride towards their next adventure.


As the sun is making its way down to disappear into the northern skies, Avril and Roy come upon the area that Roy wanted to share with Avril.

"Oh, my goodness, it is beautiful, Roy. Thank you for sharing this with me."

"You are most welcome, babygirl."

"Roy?"

"Hmm."

"You have called me a babygirl several times now, what exactly does that mean?"

"To me a babygirl is a pretty girl who is also a sweetheart. Although I suppose many fathers call their daughters it, even if they are a little homely."

"Roy!" Avril says, giggling and shocked.

"Well!"

"How long are we going to stay here?"

"I think, princess, that we should stay here until sun up, because the sunrise is one of the most spectacular sights in our world. That is, next to you." Avril looks over real quickly to see if he is teasing her, but he most definitely is not.

"I'll get the horses squared away."

"Excellent, and I will gather wood for a fire, but you can continue to start the darn things." Avril giggles. As Roy is gathering the wood just inside the woodlands, he is also taking the time to pick Avril a beautiful fragrant bouquet of flowers. "Here you go, milady."

"Oh, Roy, they are beautiful! Thank you."

With the three horses wiped down and fed, Avril and Roy have decided to once again pool their blankets. They have placed their saddles side by side with their backs to the woods, looking out of the woodlands as they disappear over the horizon and then into the night.

As Avril and Roy are sitting there side-by-side, nibbling on their travel bread, a beautiful half moon rises from the horizon to bless the world with its wondrous saffron glow.

"Oh, Roy, isn't it beautiful?"

"Yes it is." But Roy just isn't looking at the half moon. Avril looks over and sees Roy looking at her, not the moon, and she stops in mid-chew. Roy smiles and bumps her with his shoulder and says, "So what kind of things did you like to do as a little girl?"

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close