Avril's Knight - Cover

Avril's Knight

Copyright© 2015 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 8

The Lake of Hisperia is beautiful and is home to the mermaids and mermen and other wondrous beings of Zebrina. The water has an emerald green tint to it, though it is crystal clear and it is warm to the touch, no matter how late into winter it may get.

"Greetings, Briar. How are you this fine morning?"

Briar slowly raises and turns his giant scaly horned head towards them and with a big yawn says, "Greeting, Princess Avril and Knight Roy Bane. Have your travels been sufficient?"

Roy raises his eyebrows as he says, "We've had our moments. Have you heard any more on the scepter?"

"No. The magi say it is still somewhere in the Brittle Mountains, but beyond that they are not sure. They are however wondering where you two are."

"Yeah, yeah! I hate that damn place."

"Really? I thought it was a majestic place."

"The palace and region is definitely gorgeous and awe inspiring, but the wizards are just so damn arrogant. I like the witches and sorceresses much better."

"Kind of ironic, huh!"

"Why is it ironic?"

Roy looks at Briar and he can tell Briar is trying to think fast. "Ah, because ... um..."

"Because my father was a powerful wizard. I spent some time with my father in the City of Wizards and they mostly just annoyed me. I would rather be out in the field with my men. No hidden agendas, no searching for more power than what you can find in your own two hands. Can you understand that, Avril?"

"I think so. I also spent time there as a little girl, but I spent most of my time around the witches' covens. They were very loving, caring and freely shared with me their graces."

"Aye, it is because of their wonderful connection to nature that I like and admire them so much."

"Plus your mother is a witch, too."

Roy looks over at Briar with annoyance, but Briar just smiles, which if you didn't understand dragons you might think you are about to get ate. "And yes, my mother is a witch. Thank you, Briar."

"No problem, great knight."

"If your father was a wizard and your mother is a witch then why don't you have powers?"

"Just lucky I guess." Then to change the subject Roy turns to Briar and says, "I'm kind of surprised to see you out here alone. Normally there would be dozens of mermaids, mermen, sea horses and the dozens of other life forms that live in the lake coming to say hello."

"Aye, I thought that was strange too, so I flew out to the island and I still saw nothing. I even roared several times and yet nobody came out of the Apothecary Castle. I then dove into the lake, and at that sound every creature went scurrying into hiding. Since then I have been awaiting you on the shore."

"That's weird!" says Roy, walking up the water's edge and glancing out across the lake and at the island in the center of it.

"How come that is weird?" asks Avril, coming to also stand at the water's edge.

As the waves of the serene lake are lapping against the shore, Roy is about to answer, but before he does fifty feet out into the lake an apparition begins to rise.

"Roy, what is that?"

"That, my princess, is the Lady Mystic of the Lake."

"She's beautiful."

"Aye."

Then the Lady Mystic of the Lake starts walking on the water towards them. Briar, Avril and Roy bow to her greatness and beauty. She has long curly platinum blonde hair, crystal blue eyes that glow with power, and her long white gown glitters and shimmers with a million diamonds and a billion stars.

"Greetings, Great Lady."

"Greetings, Mystic." says Briar, bowing again.

"Hello." says Avril.

"Sabrina, this is Princess Avril Serene of the kingdom of Azure. Princess Avril, this is Sabrina, the Lady Mystic of the Lake."

They both bow to each other.

"It is good to see you again, sir knight. You have arrived just in time."

"What is happening here, Sabrina?"

"The Great Lake Serpent of Hisperia has been cursed. He is under a dark spell that has turned him evil and invisible. He is killing the other sentient creatures of the lake that he has always considered Friend. Because he is invisible not even I can find him to try and counteract the spell. You must help us."

But it is Avril who speaks up, "How can we help if we can't even see him?" Roy was kind of wondering that himself.

"There is a magic battle-axe deep in the Brigand Mountains protected by the Dwarves and other creatures. If you venture and get that battle axe, the Battle Axe of Destiny, then once you get within thirty or forty feet of the creature he will become visible again."

It is Avril that is once again speaking Roy's mind, "You want us to get within thirty feet of a murderous crazed lake serpent under a dark spell?"

"Well, yes. There is also the Spear of Light that can kill the serpent if we cannot counteract the dark spell, but the problem is it is in the underworld and you will have to cross the river Styx to get to it, and you know what that means."

"What does that mean?"

"Well, Avril, that means we will have to deal with the Ferryman and his prices can often be high and complicated."

"And that's not all, sir knight."

"What else?"

"The entrance to the underworld is under the Apothecary Castle."

Curiosity is killing Avril, so she asks, "What does this Spear of Light look like?"

"The shaft is normal enough, but the tip of the spear is a unicorn horn, which was freely given."

Roy turns back to the Mystic and says, "You know why we are here?"

"Of course."

"We need to get the potion from the Apothecary so Avril can drink it when the time for her destiny comes."

"Yes, I know, but the Apothecary has gone into hiding until the lake serpent is dealt with."

"Great! What do you think, Avril?"

"You really want to know my thoughts and opinion?"

"Of course, sweetheart." The smile she gives him makes his knees weak.

"I think it is our sworn duty to help who we can, and like you said, we still have nearly a month and a half now before The Event. How far are the Brigand Mountains?"

"Not far actually. In fact if you look over to your right on the horizon where the trees start getting thick and going up, that is the beginning of them."

"All you have to do is follow the river and you will run right into them." The Mystic is always so ever helpful.

"What do you think, sir knight?" For the Princess to even ask is being shown the greatest of respects.

With a smile Roy says, "It is our chosen duty, milady."

"There it is there. We will venture to the Brigand Mountains and retrieve the Battle Axe of Destiny!" states Avril regally.

Roy looks at Briar and says, "I doubt, great sir, if you will fit into the caves and tunnels of the Brigand Mountains, but we will be honored to once again have you at our sides."

"Thank you, great knight and wondrous princess, and I will wait for you at the foot of the mountains for all eternity if it takes that long."

"Well, let us hope it doesn't." Avril nods her pretty head in agreement.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close