Avril's Knight - Cover

Avril's Knight

Copyright© 2015 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 6

They awake with Briar flying overhead. He hasn't landed yet because he does not want to wake them. Once he sees them stirring he starts to land.

Before Briar has come to a complete stop Avril runs over to him still wrapped in her blanket. "How is Mary?"

"Maiden Mary is most fine and sends he regards."

"Oh thank the heavens, and thank you Briar for taking her to help and for saving us from the giant bug."

"The Gargon is a formidable creature indeed, Princess, but sir knight Roy Bane could have c..."

Roy clears his throat, and as both Briar and Avril look his way he says, "We should get underway."

"Of course. I will once again scout ahead." and with that Briar flies into the sky.

Roy turns his back so that Princess Avril may dress in privacy. After everything is packed and the embers of the fire are put the rest of the way out, they mount their steeds and they once again hit the trail of destiny.

There are so many destinies. Destiny is a hard concept to grasp and even harder to follow, never really knowing if what you are living is divine guidance or some sick nut-job's idea of a joke.

"Well, milady, once we reach my kingdom we should be able to get caught up on the efforts to find the Scepter of Power."

"Good, good."

They ride for most of the day in silence, and they don't bother to dismount to eat.

As they are riding along Roy turns to Avril and says, "Milady, I have been thinking about what you said about combat and your skills."

"I said something about that?"

"Well, you said you froze up for a second and you are concerned about that. I would like for us to stop so that I may test your sword fighting skills."

"As you wish, sir knight." They ride until they find a clearing amongst the forest.

Princess Avril is standing there looking all so adorable in her now clean and dry red tartan near knee length skirt, black leggings and black long sleeve shirt. Her hair is falling down naturally, and Roy notices a little red appearing in her hair.

"Avril, you now have red appearing in your hair. What is that about?"

"Oh, you'll find out in a second. My hair is tied into my emotions, and different colors mean different things. Red for example means aggression."

"I thought raven was aggression?"

"No, raven is annoyance."

"What is blonde, then, because I've only seen that once."

"Just draw your sword, sir knight."

Roy's sword is a long broadsword, and is the Sword of Enlightenment and Power passed down through the ages and imbued with its own powers, and Avril's sword is a tanto blade sword and is the Sword of Fire, which is also imbued with its own powers.

Avril and Roy circle each other, getting the measure of the other. Avril moves with a surprising quickness and it is all Roy can do not to get cut as it goes by his ribs. He parries it away and uses his momentum to swing around, and he bumps her with his shoulder forcing her to go off balance.

Roy raises his sword and arcs it down towards Avril. Avril raises her sword to block the coming blow. Roy's sword starts ringing and Avril's sword blade becomes engulfed in flames. When the two swords meet a loud clang and a loud thunderous clap is given off, and forces the two of them to step backwards in surprise, and then they drop their swords because they are vibrating so bad it hurts to hold them.

"It appears, Princess, our swords do not want to fight each other, even in mach combat."

"Wow, I've never seen it do that before!"

"Well, it appears that is the end of the lesson. Let that be a lesson to you."

Avril looks at Roy with a silly expression and says, "Uh huh." They both just laugh, and once their swords calm down they sheath them and head back out on the trail.


"Roy, there is an army just up ahead."

"I know. It's my army and they are waiting for us. We are about to cross into my kingdom of Montgomery. If we have the time I would very much like for you to meet our Princess Elizabeth. I believe it is very important for good people to meet in this level of life."

"Okay."

"General Bane, good to see you again."

"Captain Turner, how goes the search?"

"General?"

"Avril, I told you this was my army. Anyway, Captain, how are things progressing?"

"We have ten thousand troops in the field. We have ten patrols of twenty soldiers each spreading out through the Brittle Mountains. Also the Corsair Clan has lent us another ten dragons, and they are also searching the High Territory of Free Range Stray.

"I also have a patrol searching the High Territory."

"Pardon, milady, but we did find a group of ten soldiers slaughtered about ten stretches inside the High Territory from your border."

"Captain!"

"Oh, I'm sorry, Mistress. I did not mean to break it to you so bluntly."

Avril starts to cry and whispers, "Sergeant Emry."

Roy rides up beside Avril and massages her shoulders for a second before saying, "I promise you, Princess, who ever has done this will pay dearly for it." At first a streak of red goes through Avril's hair, and then several streaks of raven shine through and then after a second of Roy rubbing her shoulder and back her hair momentarily gets blonde streaks in it. It is most intriguing.

"Captain, we must make haste to the Realm of the Magical Ones. Continue your search here and keep up the good work."

"Yes, milord, but it will be dark soon, and we have a camp set up about an hour's ride northwest of here. We have a big meal prepared. If your journey is to be a long one you must allow yourself moments of respite."

"What do you think, Avril?"

With tears in hers eyes she says, "That will be fine, Roy."

They ride in somber silence to the campsite. It is dark when they arrive, and there is a huge bonfire in the center of the camp. Many soldiers and knights are walking about, but when they see Roy they all, to the man, snap to attention.

The captain directs them to a magnificent tent with several maidens waiting anxiously for their arrival.

"Princess, this tent is yours and the ladies will serve you well."

"Thank you, captain, but..." then Avril turns to Roy. "Roy, please, I know you gracious folks are just being kind, but I really could not handle being pampered knowing my people are getting hurt and dying. I will sleep on the ground near you, sir knight, if that be okay."

"Okay? I think it is admirable indeed, Lady Avril." Then Roy waves his hand to send the servants away. "Captain, we will lay out near the fire so that we may gaze at the stars and remember our fallen warriors." Avril looks quickly at Roy with a smile on her face but tears in her eyes.

After a huge meal, Avril and Roy are sitting next to each other on the same stack of blankets with many pillows piled up against the wheel of the wagon they have positioned themselves near. Ah, the hard life of royalty.

Many minutes go by with only silence and Avril staring into the dimming fire. A knight walks by and Roy waves him over and whispers something to him that Avril cannot hear. The knight smiles and disappears for a moment, only to reappear with several flasks of alcohol.

Roy turns to Avril and hands her one of the flasks. "Here, take this. It is mead and it will do us both a world of good."

Without questioning it, Avril takes the flask and takes a big gulp. She sputters and chokes for a second and then says, "Ah, smooth." Roy laughs and starts drinking from his own flask.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close