Prototype Ten - Cover

Prototype Ten

Copyright ©2007-2009 - Shakes Peer2B

Chapter 23

A.D. 2025-2026

"I am Prototype Ten. This is my partner, Prototype Nine." One of the people on the television screen was saying. "We were created to fight terrorism, but became much more than our creators intended. In the course of trying to fulfill our mission, we realized that, unless Earth could find a way to put aside the greed and corruption that was so rampant within the halls of all of its governments, there would never be an end to terrorism."

The woman took up the narrative. "We searched long and hard for a solution, and even considered becoming the Emperor and Empress of Earth."

"We did not want either that power, or the perpetual responsibility that came with it," Prototype Ten said. "So we came up with another solution."

"We decided that if we could find a way to threaten Earth with destruction from an external source," Nine continued, "you would have no choice but to come together to fight that common enemy."

"So we set out to become 'the Spooks, ' the enemy you love to hate," Ten put in. "The unity you now enjoy is the fulfillment of that quest. That's right - we are the 'Spooks' you have been fighting."

He paused a moment to give that time to sink in before continuing. "We mourn your dead with you, but while you are mourning, you should know that the actual body count is less than half what you believe it to be. Many of your brothers and sisters have, through their own free will, joined in our cause. You've wondered about the disappearances - those were recruits to our cause. The times when no remains were found in the wreckage of destroyed planes, tanks, etc., all for the same reason.

"We regretted the necessity to become enemies to our own people, but this was the only way to give you the unity and strength you needed. Was it all for nothing? Only you, the people of United Earth can say. As most of you are aware, Earth and its people are far better off than before the 'Spooks' appeared. I do not flatter myself that you will thank us for having done what we have done, but we will leave you with one more thing: This broadcast has been triggered by the discovery of our parting gift by two of your asteroid prospectors..."

The view zoomed away from the face of the man to show the interior of a strange, bubble-like compartment and the stunned faces of the two prospectors. "Miko Sato and Hermione Trujillo have discovered this alien spacecraft that we left for you as both a launch pad to the stars and a warning. When you have learned enough about the operation of this craft, you will be able to build your own 'Faster Than Light' starships. This will require the continued cooperation of all of the peoples on the planet, but the rewards are limitless. There are millions of planets for you to explore, and thousands of real alien races for you to meet."

Again he paused to allow the idea to sink in. "I have also told you that this ship is a warning. This craft was captured while it and an entire fleet of similar craft were attacking another star system less than one hundred light years from Earth. The attackers were driven off, but not annihilated, so they are still out there. This means that, at any time, they could choose Earth as their next target. If you are wise, you will heed this warning and prepare yourselves to defend against real enemies. This means not only building on your current state of unity and what you have learned from fighting the 'Spooks', but seeking out and forming mutual defense pacts with other beings on other planets."

"If that is not enough to keep you working together, Nine and I will return. If we must return for that reason, if all that we have sacrificed to give you this gift is discarded, we will return as avengers! If we have to come back, it will be to punish you, not to unite you, so take that to heart!"

Another pause. "I know what some of you are thinking: 'In a few decades, Prototype Ten and Prototype Nine will have grown old and died.' Anyone who thinks that way is in for a rude awakening. Thanks to the experiments performed on us, and some things we learned to do on our own, we are no longer aging. The scientists who conducted the experiments that produced us can verify, by comparing our current images with photos that were taken when we were part of their program, that we have not aged. We will be around for a very long time."

As the images faded and scheduled programming resumed, people all over the Earth turned to their neighbors seeking someone with whom to discuss the ramifications of what they had just heard.

Could it be true? Had all these years of struggling against an 'alien' invader been only an exercise to bring them together? Were they really leaving one of the alien space ships for Earth to study and exploit?

Many who had lost loved ones or friends, dared to hope that perhaps they weren't lost after all.

In the UE President's office in Geneva, a somber Claudio Ramirez told his assistant, "Please schedule a press conference right away. It seems I must renege on my campaign promises after all. Get me my speech writers. We will put a positive spin on this. Certainly, it does seem to present a tremendous opportunity."


Aboard the alien vessel, the image of the legendary duo remained on the screen after the transmission to the rest of the world died.

"So, Miko, Hermione," Prototype Ten addressed the two women directly, "how do you feel about this little discovery?"

"You can see us?" Miko asked.

"How do you know our names?" Hermione bristled at the same time.

In answer, the video image died, and the two appeared before them on the deck of the bubble within the alien spacecraft.

"We have been waiting for someone to discover this ship, and have had alarms rigged to warn us when someone entered. If you know anything of our reputation, then surely you can guess how we know your names."

Miko, unconcerned with the 'hows' and 'whys, ' asked, "Can this thing really go faster than light?"

"Technically, no," Will smiled, "But it can create shortcuts between almost any two points in the universe and travel between them in much less time than it would take light to do, so in effect, the answer to your question is 'yes.'"

"I don't suppose the UE Government is going to pay us for this discovery," Hermione grumped.

"Probably not," Tina replied, "but at least they won't have an excuse to lock you away so that you can't tell anyone else."

"There is that," Hermione replied, "but all that publicity ain't gonna do our business any good. Hell, asteroid prospecting's a solitary job, and all we need is a bunch of newsies in rented ships trailing us all over the place."

"Well, you could always chuck it and join the others that we've recruited on New Earth," Will told them.

"New Earth?" Miko asked, her interest piqued.

"Well, we couldn't very well just 'put back' all the people we've recruited to help us with the invasion," Tina smiled. "We just didn't think the government or the people of Earth would look too kindly on them for having participated in those attacks, so we had to find another place for them to live."

"You mean like another planet?" Miko's eagerness was plain on her face and Hermione started getting a bad feeling about this.

"About two hundred light years from Earth," Will answered with an affirmative nod.


Katherine sat in stunned silence as the program she had been watching resumed.

After all these years, she mused, fingering the warm, slippery necklace that still hung around her neck. I never gave up hope, never lost the faith, but this...

Not even the wildest speculations by the visitors to her website had come anywhere close to this. The website, after the invasion, had transformed once again to track the alien invasion and give people a place to speculate on what it all meant.

Katherine had declined to enter into the discussions, but it had been painful, sometimes, reading what others had written about Prototype Nine and Ten and why they had abandoned Earth in its hour of greatest need. Even her fiancée had dumped her because she refused to give up her faith in the duo. The arguments had been bitter and had soon driven a wedge between them.

Absentmindedly, Katherine told the house computer to turn the television off, but neglected to order any lights for the darkened room. Will and Karen's house was as familiar to her, now, as her own bedroom had been when she lived with her parents, and she sometimes felt she wore it like an old sweater.

Sitting in the dark, soaking up the familiarity, but acutely aware of her loneliness, Katherine stared bleakly into her future. Yes, she could probably make up with Michael, now that the truth was out, but the very fact that they had argued so bitterly over such a thing seemed to her an indication that the relationship was never meant to be.

Money was no problem. Advertisers continued to pay her big money to have a presence on her site, and if she wanted to, she could probably buy a small country for cash. The problem was what to do with her life. What could she do, now, that would be meaningful?

"How about moving to another planet and starting over again?" Will's voice startled her out of her reverie.

"Will!" Katherine jumped up to wrap him with all four limbs like she had done as a little girl. "Why didn't you tell me? I wouldn't have told anyone! I would have helped!"

"I couldn't tell you Katy, and you know why," Will answered. "I hated that I couldn't, but if anyone on Earth had found out about our plan, it might not have worked."

The house computer, taking note of the activity in the room, turned on the lights and Katherine smiled over Will's shoulder at Tina.

"Hi, Nine!" She said.

"Hi, Katy," Tina smiled

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close