Prototype Ten
Chapter 6

Copyright ©2007-2009 - Shakes Peer2B

A.D .2010

Will had no way of knowing that Dr. Robinson was under pressure to produce at least one working prototype. If he had known, it might have made some difference in the way he proceeded. As it was, he spent hours on end exploring the strange visions, odors and sounds being routed to his brain from the artificial sensors implanted in his body.

Once a day, Carlos would appear and take him to the gym for a workout. Will went along, partly because he needed to get his atrophied muscles back into some kind of shape, and partly because he felt an obligation to try to make the program successful. He was so engrossed in learning how to use his new sensors, however, that he reluctantly came out of the 'trance' of exploration only long enough to complete the workout or eat a meal, then dove headfirst back into exploring his new world. So distracted was he that Will never noticed the absence of the other prototypes, and barely registered the fact that he was doing such amazing things as bicep exercises at four or five times the maximum weight he had been able to lift before the operation.

He quickly discovered that the new optical sensors were, as he had feared, of very limited use. While they allowed him to 'see' things in the infrared and ultraviolet ranges, they were more of a distraction than a help. His body, unaccustomed to having eyes on the sides or back of his body, could not find a way to orient those inputs Furthermore, the only way he could isolate the artificial inputs from his natural sight was to close his eyes, which left him feeling very vulnerable, given the difficulty making sense of those inputs. Since his body had no way to automatically correlate the implanted positions of the sensors with its own spatial orientation, and there was no positive method of determining which sensor provided which image, he still had to turn his head and look with his natural eyes to see where an image came from.

He discovered that by turning on only the sensors 'looking' in a particular direction, he could gain some use from the implants, but it was not the 'all-seeing eye' envisioned by the scientists. He achieved what he considered the optimum use of the capability by disabling all the sensors except those that looked forward, and using them to overlay and enhance his natural vision.

With practice, he discovered that when he wanted to 'see' what was around him, he would have to close his eyes and disable all but the sensors 'looking' in one direction, then another, and so forth, until he had made a complete survey of his surroundings. He practiced enough with them that he could, for instance, scan the area behind him without turning his head, but it was so disorienting to use the side-view sensors that he seldom turned them on.

Auditory sensors were more useful since the scientists, in a flash of inspiration, had decided to take advantage of his brain's natural ability to locate sounds by placing all of the sensors on the sides of his body and connecting them to the auditory centers of the brain that corresponded to left and right. In this way, he was able to hear such minute sounds as the mice that scurried through the unseen spaces between the walls of his room and the rock from which the space was dug. He found he could hear subsonic rumblings from the rock that surrounded the complex as well as supersonic squeals from electronic equipment. The additional sensors also made it possible for him to locate things by sound. Even inanimate objects told him of their whereabouts and approximate density by the sound they reflected.

Dr. Robinson came by once a day to check on his progress, and was heartened to see that his physical enhancements seemed to be working perfectly. She was more than a little disappointed by the relative ineffectiveness of the optical sensors, but seemed buoyed when he reported his results with the auditory inputs.

"And what about the emissions sensors?" She asked after hearing the news about his hearing.

"I've been saving those for last," He replied, seeming to her a little distracted, even though his answers were lucid and responsive. "Those are totally foreign signals, and I suspect will be the hardest to integrate."

"Well, keep going, Ten," She said. "So far you've made the best showing of all, and we're counting on you to prove the success of this program."

Will got a sweet-sour scent and the aura he had grown accustomed to seeing overlaid on people's images turned a mixture of pastel green and translucent brown around Dr. Robinson. Somehow, he knew she was holding something back, but then, everyone around him was keeping secrets.

Never mind. He was so eager to get back to his exploration that he hardly acknowledged the woman's departure.

Will reclined on his bed, closed his eyes, turned off all sensors, and then gave the mental command to activate the emissions sensors at twenty percent. A dim glow appeared, following almost straight lines through what must have been the walls of his chamber. He struggled for a moment with the spatial orientation, then realized that he must be seeing the electrical wires that fed the lights and outlets in his room. A quick peek with his eyes confirmed his deduction.

His original understanding of these sensors was that they would be able to pick up radio frequency transmissions and relay them to the microprocessor so that he could communicate with others that way, as well as detecting signals from other sources. They must have got their wires crossed or something, because this stuff seemed to be going primarily into his visual centers, but without the spatial disorientation!

Now this could be useful! He ordered the embedded microprocessor in his brain to raise the input level to fifty percent, noting an increase in the strength and clarity of the images. Gradually, he raised the level until the sensors were operating at a hundred percent.

As the strength of the signals increased, so did the range of his perception. The entire underground complex that had been his home for almost a year appeared as a complex wire-frame structure wherein tunnels, rooms and other spaces were sketched in as bright outlines by the electrical wiring in the walls. Dimmer, differently colored lines must have represented communication or some other electronic wiring. He could make out the shapes of computer circuitry by the currents flowing within them and the emissions of their displays.

What captured Will's interest most, however, were the images of living beings within the compound. Here, he recognized the aura of Dr. Robinson, seething with worried colors and smelling of confusion and concern. There scurried the bright little body of a mouse. Further away, in what seemed to be a storage space, a rat gnawed at the edge of something that he could see only by its effect on the energies surrounding it. He focused his attention and found that by concentrating, he could make out the shape of a crate containing something whose shape he couldn't recognize.

Will was fascinated by what he was seeing. The resolution of these inputs seemed limitless! Far above, on the surface of the desert, he could barely make out the glowing shapes of a coyote and a rattlesnake as they went about their daily struggle for survival.

Something seemed to be limiting his ability to see further, and at first, he thought the batteries in the small power supply they allowed him when he wasn't working out might be running low. With that thought, his attention shifted to his own body. What he 'saw' gave him pause. His own body 'looked' much different than those of the other people in the complex. Instead of the harmony of energy flows he had 'seen' in each of them, his body was a crazy quilt of mismatched energy flows.

His mind focused in on one area of his left arm where a collision of such energies seemed to be occurring. He had been having trouble with that arm during his workouts, though nothing serious enough that he wanted to take a chance of undergoing more surgery to have it corrected, so he had not mentioned it to anyone else.

Like a zoom lens on a camera, his 'vision' narrowed in on the trouble spot.

There! He thought. That connection is wrong! This should be over here...

To his astonishment, a tongue of some kind of energy reached into the trouble spot and changed the connection! When it withdrew, the connection seemed 'right' and energy flowed smoothly through it.

Was it possible that he had just performed some kind of surgery on himself, just by thinking about what needed to be done? Experimentally, Will moved his arm about. The expected twinge never occurred! Still skeptical, Will went looking for other areas that weren't 'right.'

In a number of places he found dead, unresponsive bits and pieces. He could tell, for instance that the way this was attached, it should be helping out that muscle. Try as he might, however, he could not get it to respond with the muscle. He could see how it should work, but the nerve signals to the muscle weren't reaching the artificial device, and nothing he did seemed to be able to change that. He experimented for a while and found that it was much easier to alter some of the muscle and nerve tissue to serve much of the same purpose as the implanted device.

Having made such changes in a number of places, he found that, for all practical purposes, the muscle worked even better than with the artificial enhancements. Elated with his discovery, he went through his entire body and replaced artificial bits with actual enhanced muscle tissue.

He skipped over the metal rods and bands that reinforced his bones, reasoning that he would need the extra strength in his skeleton to support the additional strength of his muscles, and the metal parts did not interfere with anything else.

Next he started on what he assumed were the sensors he had been given. Some worked not at all, and without much thought he got rid of them. Others worked, but like the side optical sensors, served no real practical purpose, and he saw no reason to keep those, either. Those that worked and served a practical purpose, he left alone for the time being.

When Will turned his attention to the mesh that had been implanted under his skin, he found part of the source of this new ability. The mesh served, in effect, as a tunable antenna, controlled, via the microprocessor, by his mind. There were many places, however, that weren't 'properly' connected, or were not connected at all, mostly at the joints between the sections of his body that had been partitioned off for the different phases of his surgery. At first he tried fixing the connections, but soon gave it up as a lost cause. As with his muscles, it was easier to carefully rebuild the mesh with tissue that exhibited similar electrical properties. The tissue wouldn't turn a knife blade, as the mesh would have done, but he could live with that if it made the other features of the mesh work better. As he gained experience, he worked faster. The more of the mesh he replaced, the stronger his perceptions and control got.

He had no idea how long he had been 'fixing' himself, but Will began to notice that in aggregate, the changes had strengthened his perceptions, brightening the colors of the perceived energy flows and sharpening his focus. Even inanimate objects were easy to 'see' now. He had finished 'repairing' all the 'wrongness' in his body, including a couple of things that were apparently there before he started the program, though how he knew this, he couldn't say. There was one big, tangled mess in his head that he realized was the implanted microprocessor and its connections to his brain.

Will had been avoiding this area out of fear that he would correct a 'wrongness' and no longer be able to use this new ability.

Coming out of his trance, Will sat up on the bed. As he did, a rain of small objects fell from his body. Picking one up at random, he stared at it in astonishment. He had apparently spent the last few hours removing most of his implants, though how that could be, he had no idea. He knew he had been replacing those items with tissue, but thought he had simply pushed the implants out of the way. There was no blood, no scarring. Even the scars that had been left from the original surgery had disappeared! Experimentally, he stood, and with his left arm, lifted the steel framed bed from the floor. If anything, his strength seemed to have increased! He had only a vague idea of what he had done, but apparently it really had increased the effectiveness of most of his functions.

A quick experiment showed no significant change in his optical capabilities, other than the loss of the useless side sensors, but his auditory functions seemed to work slightly better!

Suddenly, Will realized that he was famished. He noticed that sometime during his journey, someone had placed a tray of food on the table inside the door. Breakfast! Had he been away that long?

Will devoured the food on the tray, and finally settled back to think about what had happened. How was he going to explain the fact that many of his implants now lay scattered around the bed and on the floor of his cell? Then another realization hit him. These abilities went far beyond what the program had been aiming for. If the program personnel discovered what he could do, he would soon become a guinea pig as they tried to figure out how he did what he did and how to replicate it. That was not what he signed on for.

Quickly, he gathered all the loose plastic and metal bits, creating a makeshift bag out of the mesh that had been implanted under his skin. He shook the bedding to be sure he had gotten them all, and then looked around for a place to hide them. The bed was no good, because someone would come in and change the sheets as soon as he left with Carlos for his workout. He had no locker in this room, nowhere to keep personal items. He thought of flushing them down the toilet, but realized many of them would not make the journey, and would just result in them sending someone in to see why the toilet was clogged.

He sat, hands full of 'enhancements, ' and wondered what to do. As he thought about it, the answer came to him in stages. Somehow, as he was working on himself, he had 'moved' these things outside his body without disturbing the surrounding flesh. Remembering the mice behind the walls, he wondered if he could 'move' the parts into the empty space between the wall of the room and the rock of the tunnel complex.

Closing his eyes, he could still see the shapes of the devices heaped in his hands. Selecting one of them, he sought to remember, in the absence of 'wrongness' how to change the position of the object. He remembered, now, that this particular piece had been in his leg, but its energy had been slightly different there. Why? He moved his hands and the energy of the piece changed subtly, minutely. He returned his hands to their original position and the energy of the piece returned to its former state.

Positional energy?

Yeah! He realized. It's the surrounding energies that, at least in part, determine what the energy of the object should be. If I change the object's energy, just a little, it no longer matches its surroundings...

When he had 'fixed' it, he had applied a small amount of energy to the device that had changed its relationship with the surrounding energies, making it impossible for the object to exist where it was, so it had disappeared and reappeared in the 'right' location for the new energy pattern. He had been so preoccupied with the changes he was making, that he hadn't even notice that he was performing that little miracle!

Could he 'move' the device to a specific location? Will thought of the space behind the wall where he had perceived the mouse earlier, and 'felt' the energy of the space. His mind then reached out to the object on which his attention had been focused and attempted to change its energy to match the new location. Without fuss, the device's energy disappeared from the pile in his hands, and reappeared at the spot he had been thinking about. His eyes confirmed that it was no longer in his hands, but could he be sure it had gone where he intended? After all, these senses and abilities were very new.

Will considered doing an experiment by 'moving' things within the room, but the rattling of a key in the lock told him he didn't have time. Quickly, mentally crossing his fingers, he concentrated on moving the entire bundle of objects to the space behind the wall, just above the apparent location of the first piece, lest he try to have two objects occupying the same space. That could be disastrous!

Sure enough, as the door swung inward he heard a faint rattle in the wall as if something had fallen. He dropped his empty hands into his lap.

"Okay, Ten," Carlos called as his smiling face appeared around the door, "let's see if you're making any progress!"

As frustrating as it was to be interrupted in the midst of his explorations, just as he was making such momentous discoveries, Will determined not to give anyone any clues about his unexpected abilities, and docilely stood to accompany his trainer. Carlos replaced his battery pack with the full-sized pack he used when exercising and walked with Will to the Gym.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close