Emma's Knight - Cover

Emma's Knight

Copyright© 2015 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 29: At Long Last We Can Live

Allan quietly opens the door to their cabin that has amazingly survived the war without damage in the big city of Tally. Emma must be worn out between worrying herself sick, being pregnant, and helping with the wounded and refugees, because she still has not woken up as Allan kneels next to her as she lies on the bed.

Before waking her, Allan watches her. She is lying on her back with only her head sticking out of the numerous blankets that cover her. Her head is tilted to the right, facing directly towards Allan. Allan takes a deep breath, and his eyes well up with tears as Emma's angelic perfect face radiates love and strength. With his right hand Allan gently reaches across Emma's face and pushes a lock of her hair away that is in her mouth. Emma stirs slightly and licks her lips, wrestles her arm out from beneath the covers and scratches her nose, and then turns over onto her right side.

"Emma." Allan says softly. "Emma."

"Hmm." she says sleepily, blinking her eyes open.

Allan tilts his head to the left, and with a big smile says, "Hi, babygirl."

Emma is fully awake, and she sits up throwing the blankets off of her. She looks down at the still kneeling Allan and blinks her beautiful brown eyes several more times making sure she is not dreaming. "Allan."

"Your knight has returned, my love."

Emma puts her right hand in Allan's hair and her left hand on his cheek. "Is it over?"

Allan takes another deep breath while he runs his left hand up her bare right thigh, and continues wrapping it around until his left arm is around Emma's hip and seated backside. All the while looking deeper and deeper into her majestic brown eyes. Then Allan runs his right hand up Emma's left thigh until he rests it on her left hip with his thumb gently caressing the divine convergence of her thigh and lower tummy. At last he rests his head in her lap, which is angelically bare, because her nightshirt is bunched up to her waist from her tossing and turning.

Allan replies, "It is over, my love."

Emma continues to stroke Allan's hair with her left hand as she wraps her right arm around his ribs and hugs him, and then bends down and kisses Allan on his right cheek. "Oh, thank the heavens." Allan can feel baby teardrops hitting his cheek and neck.

Allan lay there with his head in Emma's lap of soft and beautiful milky white skin for an immeasurable amount of time, until finally he says, "Emm?"

"Yes, my husband."

"I always thought I was put on this world for war, but now I know I was also put on this world to love you. If ever a second goes by that I do not remind you why you love me, please let me know."

Emma smiles a smile that will brighten the darkest day and says, "Yes, my knight."


Knowing that the world is safe for now, Allan sleeps for two days. The only sensation he has that the world still exists is Emma cuddling up to him at night and getting up in the morning. Other than that, Allan does not eat or drink or utter a single word other than maybe a subconscious I love you the entire time.

On the third day, Allan wakes just before noon. He is alone in the cabin, but like his discovery on the battlefield, he knows he will never truly be alone again. He smiles. Allan takes his time stretching and groaning before finally getting to his feet. Even though he is starving, he takes his time dressing. For the first time in a while he feels as if he has all the time in the world.

Without thinking about it, Allan starts to put on his leather armor and sword. He stops himself before he puts on his leathers, but he hesitates with his sword harness halfway around his waist. It has been a long time since he has gone without his sword strapped to his side.

Allan laughs and smiles, and as he is putting his sword back on the chair he says to creation, "Many have sacrificed much so that we may live without destruction at our doorsteps, today I honor those fallen heroes."

Feeling a little naked, Allan takes a deep shuddering breath and looks back at his sword before stepping outside. Once again a smile of unknown origin plays through.

It is snowing and the entire city is white. It is beautiful. Glistening diamonds showing the world its worth.

Allan glances down and sees the most adorable little footprints in the snow, so he begins to follow them. He shakes his head in wonder, "Once again I am being shown The Way." Maybe he is using up his quota, but another smile escapes him.

Allan follows the little footprints to an inn called the Tiger Inn. It is a quaint little place where Emma and he have eaten more than once. It is another one of the few buildings that escaped complete destruction. Allan opens the door and steps in and has to blink his eyes to adjust to the change in light, because even though the sun is not out the snow reflects brilliantly.

Allan sees Emma and Krilly sitting at a table on the other side of the room near the fireplace, and from what he can hear, they are planning Krilly and Stephen's wedding. The pretty and amazing blonde haired women are two radiating bastions of hope in a world recently put back into balance from the Sad Way.

Emma, with her wheat colored dirty blonde hair, which brings back memories of exploration and glory, and Krilly with her platinum hair, which shines white gold when the light hits it right. The flickering firelight is giving them a divine aura. The girls are dressed for winter, but they shine for all time. Emma's back is to Allan so she does not see him approach.

Allan bends down and kisses Emma on the neck and whispers into her ear, "I love you more today than I did yesterday."

Without turning around she says, "Yeah, but you were asleep yesterday."

"Maybe so, milady, but I was dreaming of you."

Allan kneels on Emma's left side while she sits in her chair. He rests his right forearm on her left thigh. Emma puts her left arm around his shoulders. Krilly is to the left of them at the other corner of the table. The table is piled high with examples as the girls are picking out the fabric Krilly's dress will be made from.

"Is the wedding not to be held in Scotland?" Allan asks.

"It is, as soon as you and Stephen are ready, we can go." Krilly remarks.

"I am ready now." Allan says.

"So am I!" says Stephen, just walking into the inn.

Krilly gets up and runs over and jumps into Stephen's arms.

Allan feels Emma's arm tighten around his shoulders, so he looks up at her. "Allan, is it really over?"

"It is for us, my love." Allan twists and brings his left hand up to the right side of her face. He holds it there while he wipes away a single tear with his thumb. While looking up at her, Allan moves so he can kiss his wife.

"Fear not, my sweet sister Emma, the Crag brothers have made the world safe once again." Stephen is being funny.

Allan gives Emma a crooked little smile and winks at her. With the smile he gets back from her, the only thing he can do is kiss her again.

Allan stands up, "Ladies, continue with your planning and Stephen and I will seek out the leaders of this recently freed land and make sure they have the right ideas about the future of this beautiful realm. The Way is not the only way, but it is our way."

Emma practically has to pry Krilly out of Stephen's arms, but Stephen assures her, "Fear not, my love, we will return immediately and be on our way."

"It is going to be good to get home again."

Allan has not been there in over two years. As much as Allan is excited about going home, he is also a little anxious, because he has to inform Rax's children that their brave father is dead, and the fact that their mother also died not so long ago is not going to make it any easier. Allan is beginning to wonder how he is going to tell Emma that they now have two minotaur children to raise as their own. In truth, Allan is not worried, for Emma's heart outshines the brightest star.


The few dragons that are still in the area are kind enough to give them a lift back to Scotland. Thunderheart flew back to the Isle of Shadow to help out.

While they are still in the city, Allan lets Emma know, "Emm, you can gather the rest of your family's things and we'll have them sent over by ship at a later date."

"Oh, that will be most wonderful. It amazes me how at every opportunity you show me my worth." Allan is glad that it makes Emma happy, because the family had to leave a lot of their stuff back in their village, and then when the order went out to evacuate they had to leave even more stuff behind, but her words ease his tired being.

It is still winter, so they bundle up until they look like fat trolls. Emma is in front of Allan so he can hold on to her lovingly, but Krilly is behind Stephen holding on more for warmth than dear life. Emma loves riding on a dragon, but it is Krilly's first time, and for a creature that has spent practically all of her life in the oceans she does wonderfully.


"It is good to be back in Scotland. It is cold and damp, but it is home."

After the initial first days of getting settled, Allan starts to wander the countryside where he and Stephen grew up. It is beautiful. Rocky rolling hills as far as the eyes can see, with enough wondrous trees as to keep a kid forever on an adventure of glory.

On one such excursion, Allan goes to an old friend of the family and buys a horse for Emma. Allan walks up to their front door and knocks.

When Emma answers the door she thinks Allan is being silly, "What are you doing, silly?" and then she notices the beautiful brown mare Allan has with him. "Oh, Allan, she is beautiful."

"My love, since I could not find Sox and I know how much she meant to you, this is the next best thing. Her name is Always Imagery."

"Always Imagery?"

"Aye wife, it is Breen for thoughtful."

"Oh, that is beautiful, Allan, thank you." Allan just smiles.

After that everywhere he goes he takes Emma with him, and introduces her to every tree and rock outcropping he has ever climbed and every person he can find. In the short time she had been there while Allan was away, she had actually become well known and well liked.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close