Emma's Knight - Cover

Emma's Knight

Copyright© 2015 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 26: The Retribution Plan

"General."

"Grand Master."

"Carly."

"Boys."

"Okay, that is enough of that. We are getting a late start today, so let's get right down to it. Carly, where are the demon dragons?" Allan asks the beautiful queen before him.

Carly is no longer in her little girl form. She is a full-grown woman dressed for battle. "They are transporting the remainder of the Zalls to the southern coastline, where their ships are moored. The rest of their army is falling back as fast as they can, and by the end of this week the remaining forces from their western army will link up, and then a couple weeks after that they should reach the coastline. Including the five hundred man force they left to guard the ships and what is left of their three armies, they will number around three thousand strong.

"From what I can sense, the Zalls and the demon dragons will be leaving for their homeland as soon as they are ready."

"And the rest of their army?"

"Leaving them to their own fate. Allan, I really do not like these Zall creatures."

"Neither do I, milady. Neither do I."

"Stephen, your thoughts."

"The first thing will be to clear this continent of all enemy forces. After that we go to their homeland. It is true that soldiers from the Isle of Breen and the dark elves from the Isle of the Unseen are a big part of this, but we believe it is the dragonmen from the Isle of Shadows that started it, so we will deal with them first."

"I think from the history books, that magical shield that has surrounded their island for millennia is the key. There is no way we can gather a big enough army to invade their lands. In fact, I wouldn't want to. I believe all we have to do is show the Zall that we can penetrate their shield, and that alone will discourage any more actions on their part. At least for as long as the current generation lives, anyway.

"Once we breech their shield, we'll destroy all their ships and ship building capabilities. Thunderheart, what is the view of the dragons of light towards the demon dragons?" asks Allan.

"As you know, barely two dozen Dragons of Light have died. Many are wounded, that is true, but the demon dragon's losses are in the hundreds. We feel they will not be so bold in the future, especially now that the Guardian has sent their God scurrying back to his plane. So in short, we will assist you in bringing down their shield, and we will destroy their fleets, but beyond that it would be rage more than justice."

"Good, we're all agreed on that point then. I still want to know how an enemy force their size was able to land on this continent without warning being sent out. Once things are rebuilt, I will suggest to the leaders of this realm and all the isles that a military early warning presence be permanently established here and everywhere. We'll create a half dozen army and naval bases on the southern coast, and set up an early warning system for the entire continent. That should prevent any major incursions that can cause as much destruction as this one has."

"I think we should send the dragons of light to secure the enemy's ships for our own uses. Even though the Bracken Forest covers the entire southern coastline, there is no way to tell what they have done to the forest. And I think we should all move now." Stephen says, slamming his hand down on the table that has all their maps on it. Stephen's Scottish brogue helps to emphasize his intent with strength.

"Carly?"

"The Grand Master is wise." The Guardian in her current majestic form is a creation of few words. She is wearing a full-length white dress that has her banner of pure energy hanging from her left shoulder down to her right hip.

"All agreed?" Allan asks, looking around at everybody and out at Thunderheart, who has one of his eyes up to the tent flap. Everybody present nods in confirmation.

"Good, we move now."

As Allan is heading out the tent, Emma meets him, "Greetings, husband."

"Good day, my beloved wife."

"So it is time again?"

"Yes, milady." They stand there staring at each other with the wonderful memory of last night still fresh in their minds. "I will not waste my breath and tell you not to worry. All I can say is I will always fight my way back to you."

"My love will be a beacon guiding you home."

"Aye."

"Our child and I await your return, milord." Allan kisses Emma gently on the mouth while rubbing her tummy with his war callused hand.

Allan is sure Krilly takes the separation the hardest. "Upon my return, my love, we will be married." Those kind words from Stephen cheer her up a little, and Emma does the rest since they have become best of friends.

Allan is again atop his gray speckled warhorse and Stephen is now on a black stallion. "Well, dear brother, once more into the fray we go."

"Little brother, I now know what it is you have been speaking of, of late."

"Move out." Just before Allan turns the first corner he looks back and sees Emma waving goodbye to him. He returns the gesture and then he puts his fist over his heart and bows his head.


"Stephen, have you been all the way south in this continent?"

"Aye."

"How long is it going to take for us to reach the southern coastline?"

"The cavalry making haste can do it easily in three weeks, maybe slightly less, but for the infantry it will take them well over a month."

"Ouch. That is not going to work."

About an hour ago Thunderheart had returned with the news that the Zalls have already boarded their ships and are running for home.

"The demon dragons have gone with them, leaving their conscript and mercenary soldiers behind."

The only action taken was the dragons of light chased the enemy conscripts off, who are now hiding in the Bracken Forest. Even though the Zalls have escaped, there is good news, and that is there are still some thirty enemy ships moored there.

"The Dragons of Light have taken up residence there, waiting for the rest of the Alliance Forces of Light. As ordered, milord."

"Excellent."

The fact that there are any ships left there at all, means that the Zalls are at least trying to leave open the possibility that what remains of their armies will have a chance at making it home. At least they have not completely abandoned their neighbor Isles. But that chance is gone now. Will the enemy fight to the death or will they surrender?

"We cannot wait three weeks to deal with the situation. Thunderheart, go to your kin and have them seek out the elves and minotaurs and lift them to Naval Base Kaleidoscope, as I have just decided to call it. Tell the mountain tribes to finish clearing out their mountains, and then either return home to begin rebuilding or come to the capital city.

"Then return here and pick up Stephen, Carly, three hundred of the Rock Clan warriors and myself. We will position ourselves further into the forest, and call that Army Base Camp Rax. Our friends the English are sending a fleet to guard against the Isle of Breen trying anything more."

"I will go there now." With that a rainbow shoots across the cloudy sky, and Carly is probably already there.

"Captain Jonah, once the dragons return and take us, you will take command of the cavalry and push forward until you link up with us on the coast. Sweep the land for any enemy stragglers. I will have Thunderheart keep tabs on you so you don't get lost.

"General Wallace, the main army is yours. I want you to pick out four excellent commanders and split your force. I want you to take a force of five hundred men and go east. Once your commander finds a centralized position among the old eastern settlements and Dwarven communities, create a refugee camp and help any survivors. Of course send out patrols to make sure there are no stragglers or deserters of the enemy forces remaining.

"Then I want you to send a hundred man force into the mountains to see if there is anything that can be done to help those folks. There should be a little village southwest of here, probably about another two weeks or more march, take up positions there and the surrounding three or four villages and towns, and create a centralized refugee camp to help any survivors, plus more will be returning shortly. General Wallace, once you ascertain that the enemy is gone, put down your weapons and help the good people rebuild.

"Finally, send five hundred soldiers back to the main city to help with the influx of refugees, to carry out patrols in the near and far countryside to hunt down the last of the enemy stragglers and deserters, and to also help rebuild there. We will use dragons to keep each other up to date. In fact, when I get to the coast I will request that a dragon be sent to you and each of the commanders you choose."


By the end of the next day the allocated forces are now at Naval Station Kaleidoscope. Even before all the Rock Clan forces have been lifted there, the elves and minotaurs are conducting hunt and kill patrols, seeking out the surviving enemy.

One of the most powerful dragons of them all, Krichek, comes to Allan, "General Crag, the last flight to here, I noticed that the remaining enemy forces that are retreating will reach the protection of the forest in just under a week. If I may be so bold, sir. I suggest us dragons wipe them out while they are still in the open."

Allan likes his mind, "Take command and proceed as you will." The look Krichek gets in his eyes almost makes Allan take an involuntary step backwards. But as an afterthought, Allan adds, "Give them the chance to surrender."

The majestic golden dragon wistfully replies, "Yes, milord." and then bows his massive scaly horned head and flies off.

Besides the three hundred Rock Clan forces Allan brought with him, he also brought forty witches and wizards. Allan knows all too well that the elves and dragons have this base well protected, so he enlists the minotaurs to join them to go out into the forest and create the first of the army camps. Since the base is going to be called Camp Rax, and of course Rax being a minotaur, it just seems fitting. The honor is not lost on the minotaurs.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close