The Dragon King - Cover

The Dragon King

Copyright© 2015 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 2

Summer in the mountains is actually quite beautiful. The streams and rivers are roaring as the snow melts from the higher elevations. The whole wilderness smells of pine. Down in the valley the temperature would be baking at this point. Up here it is perfect. It was also summertime when Christopher's dad and brothers brought him up here.


"I would give my life and that of a million strangers if my family could be the way it was before war came. I longed for that way of life again, but I have to say that living a happy and sheltered life sure makes you unprepared for the coldness of the real world."


Christopher comes to find out later that it is not that life is cold or cruel, it simply is.

Christopher figures, "I will take us so far and deep into the wilderness that trouble and bad luck can never find us again."

They are lucky that Whisper accompanies them into the beginning part of their trek into the mountains. He teaches Christopher survival skills that will later become very important for Sarah's and his survival. When Christopher looks at Whisper he wonders if that is what kind of man he was destined to turn into. Christopher and Whisper are both five foot ten marks tall with sandy blonde hair and blue eyes, but Whisper is more muscular.

One morning he wakes them very early and says, "We are being followed and very soon they will over take us."


"Sarah started to cry, but I just drew my sword."


Whisper silently shook his head at Christopher, and with that single movement he spoke volumes. He hugs Sarah and gives Christopher a cold calculating look, and he knows no more words are required. Christopher takes Sarah's hand and their supplies and heads for the daunting mountains.


"Just before Whisper was to disappear from our sight I looked back and saw that he was preparing for an ambush. Only much later after I had crossed the boundaries of insanity would I understand the decision he came to that day, that he would rather die than allow this dishonor to continue."


Christopher doesn't know whatever became of Whisper that day, but he must have succeeded, because they could find no enemy troops following them.


"Sarah and I went higher and deeper into the mountains."


At first they chose the easiest passes so they could travel faster, but the higher they got and the more the savage wilderness consumed them, they purposely go down, through, over and under the toughest of terrains so that they will never be found.

The higher they journey, the harder it becomes to travel the whole day. The thinner air is making it increasingly difficult. Sweet Sarah wearing her white with red designs summer dress or her green full-length dress never complains once. Christopher figures maybe he should have packed her some more practical clothes. As it is, Christopher cuts the hemline on her green full-length dress so she can make an easier go of it. Before long both dresses are tattered and torn. Luckily her brown leather sandals seem to be holding together.


"She would look up at me with those big brown trusting eyes and all was made clear and well."


Christopher's skills as a hunter were becoming increasingly better so they never went hungry for long. Even Sarah took an active hand and cleaned, cooked and served the meals. She even had the uncanny knack of finding edible vegetation, and served surprisingly well-rounded meals.


"On occasion we even found ourselves laughing and joking with each other again. Though it seemed nothing changed her eternal eyes, what she witnessed had to affect her somewhat. But she never showed it. As for myself, I could feel deep down inside that it had changed me in a yet unknown way."


Christopher tries to keep track of the passage of time the best he can, but in truth, what is the point. After two weeks have passed since they split from Whisper the days are still warm, but the nights are becoming crisp.


"That was our sign that we should soon find a location for our new home and start building."


Christopher figures it will take months to build a cabin that can withstand the harsh snowy winters of the high wilderness. Especially since he only has a vague idea of how to go about it. It doesn't matter, though, because if he has to he will carve a home out of the rock face with his bare hands if that is what it takes to make Sarah safe and happy.


"I often found myself wondering what I would do and what I would become if not for Sarah."


Every night Christopher gives thanks to the Gods that they have made it another day. Every morning when he looks upon Sarah's beautiful sharp-featured angelic face he renews his vow to the God of War to protect her and see her through this nightmare. It has been weeks since he woke up hoping this has all been a bad dream. Reality, like it will always eventually do, has sunk in.

The day's journey has been hard and rugged. They are lying waiting impatiently for sleep to over take them. In the night, sounds can haunt you and play tricks on your mind. A small lizard through the underbrush can sound like a dragon coming to have a midnight snack. A shrilling owl can bring visions of a thousand witches searching out your soul. But there is no mistaking the sounds of a predator finding its prey.

The quick movement of earth, the rush of body or wing, and then the impact as nature plays out its horrid cycles. Then a fight for survival ensues where every second brings you closer to death. At last the final death scream of the prey. Then there is the eerie silence that follows. You just begin to hate that silence more than anything you've ever hated before, then the sound of flesh being torn apart and bones crunching begins and you long for that silence. You know most of the animals in the mountains are too small to be of any danger to you, but the sounds of raw and vicious life going on all around you reminds you of your mortality.


"It must have been half way through to the dawn that I heard the beginning of trouble."


Christopher hears the crunching so loud and clear that he thinks it must be a lizard right next to his ear. Consciousness is now fully upon him and the sounds are even louder, even though he can tell they are still a ways off, Christopher can tell whatever it is it is getting closer.


"From the sounds going back and forth along the path we had traveled the day before I knew we were being hunted."


Christopher's mind flashes back to the smaller prey of the night, and a chill runs down his spine. He wakes Sarah and puts her back to a rock face and draws his sword, standing between her and whatever is methodically making its way towards them.

"Man, whatever it is, it is huge. Sarah, you stay back."

Not only is the earth making a thumping sound that is only getting closer and closer, but also Christopher can hear the rapid breathing of the creature increase as it gets closer and more excited as it nears its prey.

Through the brush it pushes itself with a roar. It stops momentarily as it locks their positions in. Its muzzle goes back and rows of razor sharp teeth gleam in the light of the stars and moon. Christopher thrusts his sword forward with his own growl in a vain attempt to show this creature that he is not afraid.


"I'm sure the creature wouldn't recognize the shaking of my sword as fear, but I had no doubt that it could smell my fear."


With a roar that makes Christopher step back into Sarah, the creature goes up on two legs and is now nearly twice as tall as him.

Sarah gasps and says, "It's a bear!" Though Christopher cannot tell whether it is a gasp of fear or wonder.

As Christopher is pondering this, Sarah darts out from behind him and goes towards the bear. The action takes him so off guard that when he lunges for her he misses her entirely and falls over a small rock outcropping, dropping his sword.

Christopher scrambles to his feet faster than humanly possible, but it is not necessary, for the bear comes down off its hind legs and gingerly smells Sarah's outstretched hand. Christopher is frozen in amazement. The bear even lets Sarah pet its thick brown fur before turning around and lumbering off into the night. The contrast is wondrous, with Sarah being so petite in her white and red summer dress and the bear being so massive.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close