The Knight and His Squire - Cover

The Knight and His Squire

Copyright© 2015 by Spherical Spoon

Chapter 3

Rohea and Maes rode away from Wolle for an hour and made their way into a thick forest. They had to dismount from their horses and walk slowly, but they were soon out of sight.

"If anyone checks our tracks, they will know we are in here," Rohea said. "However, I don't think those soldiers will follow. Besides, we'll be deep in the forest before anyone realizes it."

"What shall we do," Maes asked, "and what is a dark practitioner?"

"A dark practitioner is a mage that uses dark magic, or at least that's what we've heard from the Mage guild. They've always gone on and on about the dangers of dark practitioners and why mages are needed to protect the king, but I believe it's merely a ruse to keep them in power," Rohea said in disgust. "They must have come up with this ploy to remove me from court, and wrest control of the kingdom."

"But why you, and won't the king prevent them from doing so?"

"Among the knights of the Honor Guard, I have the most influence in court. Most of the others are content to stay in the background and protect the king, while I actively interact with the nobles and try to discover their little plots. The king trusts my counsel, and I have provided much valuable information over the years. With me removed from court, the mages will be able to gain influence and affect the king's decisions. While he is wary of their motives, there is only so much he can do without angering the Mage guild."

"Why would he be afraid of the Mage guild?"

"Every guild has some power and influence. The king has to maintain balance among them, or civil war could break out. The Mage guild in particular has lots of power, due to their strong magics. King Wespil will have to concede to their wishes if no one keeps them in line."

"If the king trusts your counsel, why did he banish you? The parchment had the royal seal on it." Maes said.

Rohea shook his head sadly. "I do not know. The mages must have forced his hand somehow, or weaved a story about me being a dark practitioner." Rohea laughed bitterly. "As if I knew anything about magic. The only thing I like about mages is how easy it would be to stick a blade through them."

"Didn't you say that they are powerful?"

"In war, yes," Rohea replied. "However, there aren't many of them, and most have never seen an actual day of battle. They would be ill-prepared for a face-to-face battle. They fight like cowards – from a distance, or through plots like this one!"

"So what should we do now?"

"There is a small cottage hidden in this forest where knights meet in secret. I believe some of my friends in the Honor Guard will make their way here now that my presence has been noted in Wolle. We will speak to them, and learn of what has transpired."

Rohea seemed to know the layout of the forest well, as he led Maes through a series of narrow paths and small clearings. After an hour of walking through the thick forest, they arrived at a large clearing. The sun shone brightly, and a cottage will clearly visible in the middle of the clearing.

"We are here. Come, let's go inside and wait."

The cottage was well-furnished, with a large table in the main room, surrounded by many sturdy wooden chairs. There was no food in the cottage, since no one actually lived in it, but a nearby stream was available for fresh water and fish if needed.

Nightfall came, but no one else arrived at the cottage. Rohea was patient and waited, while Maes took the opportunity to sleep in one of the rooms that had a bed in it. Maes awoke at daybreak and walked into the main room. Rohea was still seated there, as if he had not moved the entire night.

"No one came last night?" Maes asked.

"No, they must be being watched. We will wait for another day, and then make other plans. For now, we should continue with your training."


"Congratulations, Pyar," Cyler announced as he walked into Pyar's room on the top of her tower. "I have spoken to the council, and they have agreed to grant you the status of a full mage."

"But I've not completed the trials..."

"That isn't important," Cyler continued. "Your work in unmasking the dark practitioner warrants your new status. Besides, I'm sure you would pass the trials anyway."

"But, Master Cyler," Pyar started.

"Ah," Cyler interrupted, with a smile on his face. "It's just Cyler now. We are fellow mages."

Pyar blushed. "Well, if you insist. This will take some getting used to."

"So," Cyler said as he clapped his hands. "What will your first task as a full mage be?"

"Erm ... What does the council want me to do?" Pyar asked.

"The council doesn't interfere with the day-to-day tasks of the mages. In fact, we rarely control any activities at all. We only step in when there are matters of grave concern. So, you are free to do whatever pleases you. That is the confidence we have in you."

"I think I'll continue learning about the history of dark magic," Pyar said. "I am curious how it resurfaced after so many years, and in one of our esteemed knights!"

"Ex-knight," Cyler corrected. "We managed to persuade His Majesty to revoke his rank and title."

"Still, I find it odd that it happened right in our midst, and yet, when he caught me watching him, he didn't do anything to me at all," Pyar recalled.

"Perhaps he didn't think that you would dare to expose him. Or that you didn't know he was one of them. The thoughts and ways of dark practitioners are beyond us, I'm afraid."

"Perhaps. Something still strikes me as odd though, and I want to get to the bottom of it," Pyar said.

"Very well, that is your prerogative," Cyler said. "Just a word of warning – don't get lured into using dark magic in any way."

"Of course not!" Pyar replied defensively.

"I know you don't intend to," Cyler said. "However, as you will learn from your studies into history, many dark practitioners began just are you are doing, by studying how dark magic works."

Pyar nodded solemnly. "I will be careful, Master Cyler – I mean, Cyler."

Cyler smiled and nodded. He turned and walked out of the room.


The second day and night at the cottage in the forest was uneventful for Rohea and Maes. On the third morning, Rohea was visibly agitated and paced around the cottage.

"Something must have happened," Rohea said. "One of them would have come here if they could."

"What should we do?" Maes asked.

"I'm too well-known to walk into the capital. You, on the other hand, may be able to do just that."

"Didn't they say they would prevent me from entering?"

"Dressed as you are, probably. But if we change your looks a little, chances are that you'll be unrecognized," Rohea said.

They brainstormed for some time, and decided to trim Maes' hair, and style it differently. She picked a different outfit from her belongings, and covered it all with a large shawl.

"There," Rohea declared. "Now you look just like a regular peasant entering the capital."

"Well, I am just a regular peasant."

"Not anymore," Rohea said. "You are my squire, and you have an important task to do."

Rohea led Maes out of the forest, and wished her good luck as she made her way into the capital. Maes walked quickly along the road, but it was still a long walk before she arrived at the city gates. The guards paid her no heed, and she entered the city with no problems. The capital city of Wolle was impressive – much more so when viewed from the inside. It was mid-day, and the sun was shining brightly overhead. However, the bustle of the large swaths of people walking around drew attention away from the almost unbearable heat. Maes followed the mental directions that Rohea had given her, and found herself outside The Stinky Mug, a tavern frequently visited by soldiers and knights according to Rohea. Maes walked into the tavern, and found that it was strangely empty.

She walked up to the innkeeper, and asked, "Slow day?"

"Aye, lass. All the soldiers were called into the citadel to prepare for the dark practitioner's invasion. So, what can I get for you?"

Maes ordered ale, and chatted with the innkeeper as she slowly drank it down. She learnt that the innkeeper didn't believe a word about Rohea being a dark practitioner, or even the fact that there was a dark practitioner. He seemed to think, as Rohea did, that it was merely a ruse by the mages. Maes learnt that the soldiers and knights that frequented The Stinky Mug had been recalled to the citadel to receive a ward against dark magic. The innkeeper did not know anything beyond that, except that no soldiers had come to his bar in the last couple of days. Maes downed the remainder of her ale, thanked him and went on her way.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close