Fiddlers Green - Cover

Fiddlers Green

Copyright© 2019 by UtIdArWa

Chapter 9

Meanwhile the regiment was having religious services. In fact, this was a very special day. For the first time Regimental services were held in a structure dedicated to the Lord. For much too long they had been in whatever space was available. From a lean to in the forest to a plank between 2 barrels on the battlefield. There had been times when there was no roof, no walls, no alter, Just a level piece of dirt.

The modest church on the civilian side of the Hacienda was packed. Standing room only. It had been decided that additional services would be held later in the day. Services that would be provided by the Protestant and Methodist members of the Regiments Chaplaincy But the first service was reserved for the Catholic Father Sims. He had been a fellow POW of Colonel Anderson and held a special place with him.

Also at the services were the members of the command group. These were the men and women that occupied staff positions with the Regiment. The brains and leadership. Following services there was to be a staff meeting.

Seated next to Colonel Anderson was Martha Olsen. She held the honorary position of Colonels Lady, Not because of any romantic connection. Rather Martha had been elected the President of the lady’s auxiliary, the leadership of the Non-Combatant arm of the Regiment rested with her and the Auxiliary. Colonel Anderson had also been elected to his position as the leader of the Combatant arm. His rank was real, He carried a commission, but after being medically evaluated after his incarceration as a POW, He had been medically retired.

Colonel Anderson’s wife and family had been murdered early in the war by marauding raiders. They had moved to Kansas to be with her family while The Colonel was serving. Raiders had attacked and destroyed the whole town.

Martha held her place in the Regiment because her husband was killed in the fires of Shiloh. As with many women in the regiment, their membership is based on the participation of male family members. This, however was not a requirement. Men, women and children that had been ravaged by the war were welcomed with open arms as full members of the Regiment.

When the Regiment had been formed, it was decided that membership would not be limited to military service. Rather individuals that had suffered injury or loss could apply. The Regiment slowly evolved into an organization modeled along military lines, specifically the Cavalry. There were 2 branches. Combatants and Non-Combatants.

Combatants were tasked with the defense of the Regiment and its members. Non-Combatants were the human side. and not limited to women and children. The noncombatants also included those that had been injured by the wars ravages and to varying degrees needed assistance to survive. These included both physical and mental injury. The Regiment took care of their needs as best as possible.

Standing at the head of the conference room table, Colonel Anderson addressed the leadership. “Ladies and Gentlemen, it is My distinct pleasure to bid you welcome to the first staff meeting at our permanent home.”

There was applause and a number of hooraws.

“Now, we need to get started on the real work of the Regiment. Some of us, Hell, most of us are on unfamiliar ground right now. We have lead troops in the field, fought battles in the mud, muck and mire. But very few of us have any experience in a garrison situation.

“If any of you have suggestions or advice, here is the place to voice it. “ The Colonel paused for a moment and looked around the room.

“OK, Well let’s get started with the obvious, first. Sergeant Major Young,” The Colonel looked to the Sergeant Major who was standing at the doorway to the room. At his name, He stood to attention, “SIR.”

“Sergeant Major, we need to see to the defense of our new home. That means a guard mount. I’ll not presume to tell you how to do your job. Just see to a 24/7/365 guard please.”

“Yes Sir, By your leave Sir. That guard mount has already been put into place. And Anticipating your command, I have put into place a quick reaction force. They will be ready on 5 minutes notice for any need.”

“Very good, Sergeant Major. I would also like to see the tower staffed with sharpshooters.”

“Also in the works Sir. However, this will take a couple of days. Travel takes a toll on men and equipment. The boys need some time for equipment maintenance and some time on the firing range. I’m also looking for an NCO to take over marksmanship training. Give me a week Sir and we’ll be up to speed.”

“You’ve got a week Sergeant Major. I have full confidence in you.”

“OK, Next on the list is S4, Captain Reynolds, how are our provisions?”

A portly gentleman stood. Partially balding and wearing glasses, “Sir, given what We know of the inventory of the first group, and the inventory of the second group. And a rough estimate of the size and available inventory already in place. I would estimate 6 months before we run into any serious food shortages.”

“It is my hope that we will have our first crop ready for harvest before that time. Given the year-round climate, we should be able to bring in 2 or even 3 harvests each year. Our saving grace on that is the artesian spring here at the Hacienda. I tracked the flow at approximately 20 gallons an hour. That and the various cisterns spread out through the complex, water will not be a concern.”

“However, we’re in a limited inventory on ammunition and arms. Currently we are at 100% weaponry loadout. However, if we start getting new recruits, Which I have been informed that we will, on the possible level of an additional 2 troops of 150 rifles and pistols, we are seriously short. We still maintain a wholesale status with both ammunition manufactures and gun makers. However, because of the end of the war reduction in demand, the weapons manufactures are demanding upfront payment. Without accurate personnel figures, I can’t estimate need, availability and cost.”

“Moving on, we are in need of pretty much everything else. I’ll need to evaluate the capacity in Wilkins and the freightage availability. If I may suggest to the group, if we were to take 3 or maybe even 4 of the Conestoga’s no longer in use and convert them to freight carrying, we might very well have a profitable business, as well as absorb our own costs in the process.”

“Good Idea, Captain Reynolds. Find yourself an able Lieutenant and make him a muleskinner. Ladies and Gentlemen, this is how we will succeed in this country.”

“Next we’ll here from Captain Williams our S1.”

Standing up, a thin, almost cadaverous man rose. “Thank You Sir. Ladies and gentlemen, our personnel compliment currently stands at 95 %. This is not worrisome however. I have been advised that some of our new Hispanic members wish to join into the combatant ranks.”

Looking to the S2, “We will need to begin an evaluation and selection process. Combined with a basic training program that needs to be designed and put into action.”

The S2 Captain started to stand, and was interrupted by the S1. “We also have a prior agreement that needs to be addressed. A proposal was previously made and favorably voted on by the group. That proposal was the addition of women into the combatant ranks. I, and Martha agrees, feel that now is the right time to act on that proposal.”

There were a mixture of murmurs and whispers around the table. Colonel Anderson sat quietly for a moment, looking at everybody, BUT Martha. “Ladies and Gentlemen, A promise was made and a promise will be kept.” Looking to the President of the ladies Auxiliary, “Martha, please provide Captain Williams with a list of willing candidates.”

Looking to the S2, Captain Harrison, “Chuck, draw up a basic training schedule. Followed by an advanced Cavalry training schedule. Ladies and gentleman, I am going to propose something here that some of you may reject. I propose that on the combatant side we establish 2 groups.

The overall name will be the Order of the Spur. For troops that preform honorably in combat, I propose the award of gold spurs. For others, A series of training, tests and evaluation by senior NCO’s will be required for award of silver spurs. All others in the command will only be authorized black spurs. And then only members of the Calvary combatant group. And in keeping with the agreement previously mentioned, if a woman candidate successfully completes the Cavalry training, and passes the testing for the order, she will also be authorized to wear the silver spur, and the gold spur if earned. There will be no distinction of bravery or valor in this regiment.”

“Next let’s hear from the S3, Captain Burgess what are looking at here?”

Standing Captain Burgess was a non-descript person. Average height, average looks. He was the kind of person that would be invisible in a crowd of 2. “Well Sir, starting at Wilkins, there isn’t much of any kind of threat. The town leadership is quiet, mellow and friendly. As you well know.

Outside of town, to the west and north we have Obie Jackson. He is the largest land owner in the area. That is until We came along. His primary concerns are cattle, horses and acquiring more land.

Next to the north and east we have the Ute Indians. They are a semi-hostile group, that seems to have been quieted down by the Mormons in Utah.

To the east and south. And this includes lands that we hold title to. There is a tribe of Shoshone. While there have been no incidents reported, The Shoshone do have a reputation for violence and distrust of whites. I recommend a gentle touch when dealing with members of this tribe.

And finally, to the south and southwest there is a mixture of bandits, marauders, Comancheros and cross border raiders. These are mostly small groups. 3 to 5 usually. But some of the Comancheros groups are as large as 20 to 25 riders.”

Before the meeting could continue, A quiet knock sounded at the door. Sergeant Major Young looked to the colonel, who nodded. He opened the door and the sentry outside leaned in and whispered to the Sergeant Major. The Sergeant Major closed the door and walked to the Colonels side and whispered a message.

Colonel Anderson’s eyes widened. Looking at the Sergeant Major, “Really? 10 riders?”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close