Fiddlers Green - Cover

Fiddlers Green

Copyright© 2019 by UtIdArWa

Chapter 6

2 days later than planned, Joshua, On the horse Clive picked out for him, rode down the road to what had been described as the Ruis Ruins, He wasn’t sure what he would find. His hope was that whatever remained from ravages of time and the destruction of combat could be repaired. It was his experience that finding an even partially functional structure was remote. But still hope springs eternal in the optimist’s breast.

As he got closer to the ruins, the exterior began to appear. Cresting a rise, the blazing white adobe covered walls came into view. The Ruis Hacienda is a Spanish style structure. One that would be recognized just as easily in Mexico City as in Madrid Spain. It was a structure that screamed wealth and power.

A 15-foot-high, 10-foot-wide white washed adobe wall enclosed the property. Guard towers and fighting positions were spaced throughout the wall. The wall itself was angled slightly to the top. At first glance, an uninformed person would assume that this would ease someone attempting to climb. Actually, it was cleverly designed to eliminate hiding spots at the base of the wall. Allowing the defenders, the ability to fire down on any invaders.

The inside of the compound was commanded by a 5-story adobe tower that dominated the center. With unobstructed views in all directions. In all the compound enclosed over 30 acres of land.

The main gate is wide enough to accept 3 Conestoga wagons side by side. The 10-inch-thick poles of the gate had obviously been blown apart by explosives. On either side of the gateway are guard towers. They also showed extensive damage from gunfire.

Inside the gate is a walled in courtyard, about 100 yards square. As with the exterior of the wall the interior walls have crenellated fighting positions on the top. What appear to be gates are spaced inside of covered alcoves every 10 feet around the wall. Later investigation shows that only 3 of those gates are real, leading further into the compound.

The gate to the left led to a barracks, stable, corral arrangement. The obvious military feel to this area meant that it was the living spaces for the soldiers that had defended this castle. The entire area was easily large enough to support of 1000 riders and their horses. Along the right and left sides, there were alternating corrals, stables and then barracks. Directly across from the entrance gate was a 2-story rambling structure. In Joshua’s opinion this was the NCO headquarters.

From the main courtyard, the gate to the right led to a large area, easily twice as large as the troop side. This was the living spaces for those families that worked at the Hacienda for the Ruis family. A large flag stoned plaza dominated the center of the gateway. A fountain at the center of that was the obvious main social point for those living here.

The buildings in this area seemed to be grouped in a series of 4 2 story structures surrounding a central plaza. The plaza itself had a fountain in its center and the ground levels were set back under the 2nd floor balconies. Establishing a shaded area. between these groups of buildings, 3 wide avenues ran down. These avenues were paved with cobble stones and had water runoff gutters on both sides.

Throughout the area there were planters and flowerpots, The plant life brown and brittle. But, in its prime this would have been an oasis in the harsh Nevada environment.

Joshua took his time, Riding mostly. But occasionally dismounting to check out interesting structures. It was after he had taken the time for his midday meal that he decided that he needed to look at the crown of this dilapidated and abused castle.

Coming through the central gate opposite the main gate, He entered the obvious headquarters of the Hacienda. To his front was a large 3 story building. Inside of this structure was the most dominant feature of the whole complex. This was a 5-story tower. The top, covered by the usual adobe tiles, was easily 20 feet on a side.

The main building had balconies on the 2nd and 3rd floors. The first floor however was plain and unadorned. There were no windows on the first floor and a single door at the center provided access to the interior. A short, covered, wood porch bordered the door.

To the left was a modest structure. Again 3 stories, but this one included a wide, covered porch that completely surrounded the double doors at its entrance. The 2nd and 3rd story balconies were also wide and covered, providing shade.

To the right was also a modest structure, Almost a copy of the building across from it. This building had more of a home feeling. Joshua, without really thinking about it, labeled this at the family residence. Walking in the main entrance, He entered an open courtyard. On all sides a covered walkway surrounded the central area. Which included a pond and fountain. Planters and benches were spaced around the central pool. Dry and dusty.

Joshua didn’t spend a lot of time in this building. He told himself that his time was limited. In reality he was reluctant to confirm some of the bloody myths about the slaughter of the Ruis family. Particularly the children.

Retreating to the courtyard, He entered the building opposite of the residence. Just inside the main entrance was a waiting area. broken and overturned benches were scattered throughout. To the right was a countertop, to the left was a hallway with doors on both sides. Behind the counter was a series of open rooms. This was obviously the hospital. Joshua delayed looking at the other floors. He was fairly certain of what he would find.

As he stepped back out to the courtyard, He checked the sun’s position. He was astonished at how low the sun was. He needed to make a decision about where he would spend the night. Actually, it wasn’t that difficult of a decision. Obviously, he would spend the night in the safety of this complex.

Joshua decided that a night under the stars was called for and started setting up his camp. After unloading his horse and packhorse he checked them over. They were fine and no worse for the adventure. These were good animals and he spent the time to see to their comfort.

Next was his campsite. Building a fire ring, He started a small fire, using the brush and debris available, and feeding the fire as it burnt down, He built up a sizable bed of coals. inside of that bed of coals he arraigned another, smaller ring of rocks. On these he placed a collapsible grill. from his pack he brought out a water kettle, frying pan and a set of eating utensils.

When he had judged that the coals were sufficient, He started cooking, on the grill, the steak that he had packed. He also started the water to boil in the kettle. In the frying pan he emptied a can of beans and gave them a stir. Then sliced a small onion into them.

When the water started to boil, Joshua pulled the kettle off and poured it over the tea he had added to a large mug. as the tea steeped, he checked the steak. as luck and experience would have it, everything came together at the same time.

As He sat there enjoying the aftermath of his dinner, an old, almost forgotten tickle started at the back of his neck. This was a feeling he would get when it seemed that he was being watched. It wasn’t really a reliable feeling. Usually when he looked, he couldn’t find anybody or anything. But more often than not the feeling was followed by an attack or the evidence of surveillance was discovered.

Joshua reached down and loosened his revolver and knife. And offered a prayer that he was mistaken this time. had been sitting on the bench for half an hour. He was trying to get a feel for his surroundings. A sense of what was here. Some might say he was looking for ghosts.

HIs concentration was broken by a small voice. Not a quiet voice, a small voice. The voice of a child. “Senor?”

Turning, Joshua found that a small Mexican child had snuck up on him. This amused him, it had been many years since anybody had been quiet enough to get this close. The child was small, both physically and obviously by age. The child’s sex was indeterminate, but the age appeared to be around 6 or 7 years old.

“Nino, what are you doing out here? Where are your parents, your family?”

“Senor, they hide from the big knife.” The child said this while pointing at the Bowie on Joshua’s side. “They have much fear. They fear you will chase them into the desert.”

“And you Niño, you have no fear of the big knife?”

“No Senor, I saw you in the saloon in town. You have no fear for the Sheriff. No fear for the devil boy Jackson or his padre. Even when you carry no gun. You are a brave man. Brave men don’t shoot little boys.”

Joshua chuckled at this wisdom. “OK, Nino. You are right, I won’t shoot you. But the others, your friends and family. I don’t wish to harm them either. Could you call your Mama or Papa out? or maybe El Jefe? I would talk to them. I promise that I won’t hurt them. That is unless they want to hurt me.”

“I think that you will be my Jefe, senor. You wait here, I get a brave person.”

10 minutes passed. 15 minutes passed. Half an hour after the boy disappeared, he reappeared pulling the hand of a women. Literally dragging her into the plaza.

“Jefe, this is my Mamacita. She doesn’t have much English. But I can tell her your words.”

“Nino, this is no way to treat your momma, or any woman.” Joshua rose from the stone bench and brushed off the dust from the bench. He then placed his handkerchief on the bench and offered the seat to the woman. She blushed furiously while she sat down. Joshua then pulled out his canteen and a collapsible cup. Pouring water into the cup he offered it to the woman. “Senora, Por Favor”

The woman, dumbfounded, accepted the cup and sipped from it. Then offered it back. Joshua accepted the cup, but placed it on the bench next to her. He then, to her obvious horror, seated himself, cross-legged. on the ground.

“Boy, please tell your Mama that she both honors me, and shows great courage to come here. Please ask what I can do for her, and your people.”

Words were exchanged between the boy and his mother. Finally, the boy turned to Joshua. “Why are you here Jefe? My Mama, she waits to hear your words. But we have had much bitterness in our lives. Much pain because of you Americanos. If we taste your honey voice, will it turn bitter for us?”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close